The Data Protection Act 1998 requires organisations to lodge a
notification with the Information Commissioner to describe the
purposes for which they process personal information. This information
is publicly available at the Information Commissioners Office at:
Wycliffe House, Water Lane Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 01625 545745 Fax: 01625 524510
Who is the Data Controller?
The Data Controller, responsible for keeping your information
confidential is:
Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust
Chorlton House, 70 Manchester Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy
Manchester, M21 9UN
Email [email protected]
Phone 0161 882 1081
If you have a concern or complaint or would like information about
Trust services, contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on
0161 882 2084/5 or by email at [email protected]
Your health information,
confidentiality and how to
access your records
If you need to have this information translated into another
language please contact the Mental Health Linkwork Scheme on
0161 276 5269 or e-mail [email protected]
If you require it in larger print, Braille, audio or other formats
please contact the Communications Team on 0161 882 1093 or email [email protected]
Version 4 Revised Date: January 2014
Version 3
Review date: January 2016
Where People Matter Most
Access to your Records
If you would like to have access to your records please apply in writing to the
relevant site:
North &
By law everyone working for or on behalf of the NHS must respect your confidentiality
and keep all information about you secure.
Social Care &
Services e.g .
All health and social care records, whether electronic or paper records, are private
and personal, and the process of accessing and storing your information must be
Primary Care Mental
You have a right to expect your health information to be kept private. You also have
rights to confidentiality under data protection, human rights legislation and the
common law.
Staff must not pass on information about you without your permission except to
others involved in your care and others who may need to see your information.
Page 1
Page 10
Medico Legal Clerk
Park House
North Manchester General
Delauneys Road,
Manchester, M8 5RB
Medico Legal Clerk
Laureate House
Wythenshawe Hospital
Southmoor Road
M23 9LT
Information Governance
Chorlton House
70 Manchester Road
M21 9UN
Head of Healthcare
Healthcare Unit
HMP Manchester
1 Southall Street
M60 9AH
Notes about your health conditions and details and reports about your
treatment and care
Details of your care plans and assessments
Dates and times of appointments and contacts you have had with
your consultant and or other clinician or care worker in the Trust
How do you apply?
To apply for access to your records, you have to apply in writing giving your
name, address, date of birth and, if you have it, your NHS number. We may
also ask you for some proof of identification to verifiy your identity.
What will it cost?
Your care records may also include other details you have told a
clinician (for example, about your family or work) but only if this is
relevant to your care.
Relevant information from people who care for you and know you well
such as health professionals and relatives.
For providing copies of any paper records you may be charged a fee,
depending on the work involved, up to a maximum of £50. For providing
copies of your computer records, the fee would be £10. For supervised
viewing of your records the fee is £10. For copies of your social care records
the fee is £10.
Mental Health Act information
How long will it take?
How do we use your information?
The people caring for you use your information to provide treatment, check
the quality of your care, and help you to make good decisions about your
health and to investigate complaints. If you agree we can keep your relatives,
carer and friends up to date with the progress of your treatment.
We also sometimes use your information more generally to:
We will endeavour to provide a copy of your records within 21 days from:
Receipt of your request in writing; and
Verification of your identity; and
Payment of any fee; and
Location of your records
How will your records be shown to you?
Check the quality of care we provide to everyone, e.g. clinical audit,
National Patient Surveys;
Protect the health of the general public;
Monitor how we spend public money;
Plan and manage the health service;
If you are given access, where possible and if you agree your care
professional will arrange to meet with you to go through the records you have
requested access to. Otherwise you will be sent a photocopy of the relevant
parts of your care record by post. If you require an explanation of any terms
or abbreviations which are not clear to you, or entries which are difficult to
read, then you may request an appointment with a member of staff to have
these explained.
Train health care workers; and
Can I change my records?
Carry out research
If we use your information for these reasons, we normally remove your name
and other details which could identify you. If we need the information in a
form that identifies you, we usually ask your consent first.
Page 3
You will not be able to change the information other people write in your
records. However, if you think your record is inaccurate, you can ask the
person treating you to correct any mistakes. We may not be able to accept
some corrections, but a note stating why you think the information is
inaccurate or why you disagree with it will be added to your records. You will
be sent a copy free of charge.
Page 8
What shall I do if my details change?
Answers to your questions
It is important that you tell the person treating you if any of your details such as
your name or address have changed or if the date of birth that we have for you is
This leaflet is a guide to the information we hold about you and how we use that
information. It answers the following questions:
Are there any situations where you will keep information in my
records from me?
You usually have the right to see everything in your records. However, in special
circumstances, a care professional may keep information from you. There are
very limited reasons for doing this.
What information is in your care records?
How do we use your information?
What measures are in place to keep your information safe and
Who can get access to your information?
How to access your records?
We may keep information from you if:
 We think seeing your information is likely to cause you or someone
else serious harm to your or their physical or mental health;
 We have been given the information in confidence by someone other
than yourself (for example, information a member of your family has
given us and asked us not to tell you).
 You are applying on behalf of someone who is no longer capable of
managing their own affairs or for records of a deceased patient who
originally gave the information on the understanding that it would not
be revealed later.
A care professional may also keep certain information from you until you can
discuss it together, for example, a test result.
Copying Letters to Patients
Patients have a right to a copy of any letter written about them from one
healthcare professional to another. If you would like to receive a copy of your letter
inform the person treating you.
You also have a right to be provided with a copy of your care-plan if you do not
receive this then please speak to your care co-ordinatoor.
Why do we keep information about you?
The staff caring for you keep records about your health and any treatment and
care you receive from the NHS.
We ask you to give information about yourself so that we can ensure you receive
the best possible care and treatment.
These records may be in paper or electronic form. If they are electronic they will
be held on a Trust System – Amigos, iPM (Lorenzo) SystmOne etc.
The information we keep may include:
Basic details such as name, address, date of birth, next of kin,
Your contact details (telephone number, email, fax)
Details of those involved with your care including your GP
Details of your carer
Freedom of Information Act 2000
If you want any information about the organisation, which is not personal data,
please ask a member of staff or write to us.
Page 9
Page 2
The care team looking after you, may include care professionals from outside
theTrust, and these staff must still meet all our conditions for keeping your
information confidential and secure. If we find that someone inappropriately
accessed your information, we will tell you, and where appropriate take
disciplinary action. This could include dismissing the person who had access
your record.
Can I give other people outside the NHS access to my
When might you use information that identifies me without
asking my permission?
In very limited circumstances, the law allows us to use your information without
asking you first in order to improve public health.
In other very limited situations, we may need to (by law) give out information about
you without your permission. In all cases, we will only provide the information
needed. Wherever possible, we will tell you. For example, we may need to:
tell authorities about the birth of a child;
report food-poisoning cases to authorities;
If you want to give someone access to your records in this way, you should
discuss it with a care professional first. They can advise the best way to do
this so that you control your own information and keep it confidential.
inform an independent Mental Health Advocate in order to provide help to
an eligible patient where the patient is unable to give consent due to lack
of capacity
You can also ask the Trust to provide information to other people. For
example, this could be to your solicitor, or a medical insurer to help you apply
for insurance. We need your permission to do this.
report some infectious diseases;
provide information to be used in court; and
How do I get access to my records?
give information to the police to help detect or prevent a serious crime.
You have the right of access to the information we hold about you on our
records, although there are some exceptions.
disclose information where there is a serious risk to the health and safety
of yourself or others. For example, serious risks to children or vulnerable
With your consent we can give a family member, friend or carer access to
your care records to help them care for you.
It is good practice for us to show you your records and explain them if
necessary. You could begin by asking the person treating you if you could
see your records and if they could go through them with you. We would only
not show you your records if the care professional treating you feels that it
would harm you or someone else if you saw them.
If you require a copy of your notes, you can apply in writing as set out below.
Who can apply?
You can apply to see your own records, but you can also apply:
To see the records of a patient who has died, if you are acting as their
personal representative.
On behalf of someone who is not capable of giving permission
because of age or illness. However, you would have to be appointed
by a court to do this.
Page 7
Information cannot be given to your employer without your permission.
What if you do not want your personal information to be
Inform the care professional you are seeing and make it clear that you do not want
your information to be shared. We will not disclose your information to third
parties without your permission unless there are exceptional circumstances such
as when the health and safety of others is at risk or if the law requires it.
Your clinician will discuss with you the implications and any risks of not sharing
your information and how this may affect your care. For example, this could mean
that you would not have any of the benefits of having essential information about
your care available out-of-hours, or in an emergency
Page 4
The Trust is one of the largest mental health research centres in the country and is
supported by The National Institute of Health Research to undertake high quality
research so that our service users can have quicker access to new and better
treatments. Part of that support, is through the employment of Clinical Studies
Officers who work with clinical care teams to ensure that all the people that use
our services find out about any research opportunities that may be available to
them and are given the choice of participating if they should wish to do so. If we
identify any research project that you may benefit from we will ask your permission
before any confidential information is shared.
Who do we share your information with?
Keeping your information secure and confidential
We may share information with the following main partner organisations:
By law everyone working for or on behalf of the NHS must respect your
confidentiality and keep all information about you secure.
NHS hospital Trusts and other care providers
General Practitioners (GPs)
Ambulance Services
Clinical Commissioning Groups
NHS England
NHS Commissioning Support Units
Health & Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC)
External organisations providing healthcare services to the NHS
We may also share your information with:
Social Services
Education Services
Local Authorities
Voluntary Sector Providers
Private Sector Providers
Police and Judicial Services
We may also use external companies to process personal information, such
as for archiving purposes. These companies are bound by contractual
agreements to ensure information is kept confidential and secure.
Page 5
We will not disclose your information to third parties without your permission
unless there are exceptional circumstances such as when the health and safety of
others is at risk or if the law requires it.
The Trust electronic records systems have security measures for handling your
information. These measures make sure that we store your information safely,
that it stays private and that only staff with authorisation have access and that they
use the system appropriately.
In every place we treat you, there are people who are responsible for making sure
your details are kept confidential. They are sometimes known as Caldicott
How will you control access to my records?
Anyone who has access to your care records must be involved in your care or
involved in the investigating of serious incidents and complaints
In addition if using a Trust computer information system staff:
Must have a username and a pass code
Only have access rights to the system dependent on their job role
Will automatically have their details recorded, who they are and what they
did on the system (you can ask to see this)
Page 6