TIMELINE: 11 YOUNG ST. (FORMERLY MAYFAIR HOTEL) 1905: Edward Lippert built a three story building at the northeast corner of King and Young Streets where he operated a retail furniture store and an undertaking business. 1929: A three-storey addition was added to the building, built by Ball Brothers Ltd., to be used as hotel rooms. The hotel portion later became the Windsor House Hotel and then the Mayfair Hotel. 1924-1925: The building was also occupied by C.L. Moser & Sons dry goods store. 1933-1946: The building also housed Ligget’s Drug Store. 1976: The building was sold by George Lippert, after which point it changed hands several times until the City purchased the property. 2001: The City purchased the building in February 2001 as part of the larger Centre Block land acquisition – now known as City Centre. At the time, it served as affordable housing on the upper floors and it housed a bar on the ground floor. The city retained Kitchener Housing to manage the rental housing component. 2006: A staff report was endorsed by council which requested that the Mayfair building at 11 Young Street and the neighbouring 156-158 King St. W., be listed as non-designated properties on the heritage registry. 2007: The building became unoccupied with all Kitchener Housing Inc. tenants relocated. The City continued to exercise due care in maintaining the building, ensuring heat and hydro services, fire alarm monitoring, regular site visits and minor maintenance activities were undertaken. February 2008: City staff provided a condition update on the city-owned Centre Block buildings and the pending Centre Block redevelopment to council and Heritage Kitchener. November 2008: With council approval, the City issued a notice of intent to designate the property under the Ontario Heritage Act. July 2009: City entered into an agreement of purchase and sale with Andrin Investments Limited for the sale of Centre Block lands which at that time included the Mayfair and 156/158 King Street West as “Phase 3 Lands”. June 2011: City staff provided an update to council and Heritage Kitchener on the proposed plans for the former Mayfair Hotel building and its incorporation into the Centre Block plan. December 2012: Council authorized the assignment of the sale of the Phase 3 Centre Block Lands (the former Mayfair Hotel and 156-158 King Street) from Andrin Investments Limited to Ridgewood Holdings or a related company to be incorporated. May 2013: Final sale to the Mayfair Hotel Development Corporation was completed. Inspection by City staff prior to the sale confirmed the building was intact with no water leaks and no exposure to the elements. February 2014: In preparation for future renovations/redevelopment, the owner received a building permit allowing for the removal of interior finishes so that the building’s full structure could be exposed to determine what extent of redevelopment would be possible. April 11, 2015: A water service break occurred in an underground pipe between the city valve and the building’s Young Street foundation wall which caused flooding inside the building, damaging the building’s foundation. April 13, 2015: The Chief Building Official inspected the property and upon viewing the damage to the foundation, directed the owner to hire a structural engineer to make a recommendation for its repair. After discussion with the engineer, in light of the potential risk to public safety, the City closed Young Street as a precaution. The city also retained MTE Consultants to conduct an independent inspection of the building. April 16, 2015: MTE Consultants provided a comprehensive report indicating that a combination of structural issues – some existing as well as the most recent foundation damage caused by the flood – rendered the building unsafe and unstable. The report indicated that the building poses “immediate life safety concerns” and is not repairable because any work inside would jeopardize the lives of workers. The Chief Building Official issued an Order to remedy an unsafe building under section 15.9 of the Ontario Building Act at 3 p.m, which calls for the demolition of the property. April 17, 2015: The owner installed hoarding (barrier) around the site. April 21, 2015: Demolition application permit and demolition plan to be filed with the city by 5 p.m. April 23, 2015: Council to consider removal of notice of intent to designate under the Ontario Heritage Act at a special meeting at 11 a.m. April 27 (estimated): Demolition work could begin (pending Council approval of removal of intent to designate).
© Copyright 2018