Q. Which removalist companies can move my items?
A: You can engage any furniture removal company to assist you in moving from your house. The
Taskforce has been working with AFRA (Australian Furniture Removalist Association) to further
industry understanding of the ‘Mr Fluffy’ issue in the ACT. AFRA has passed this information on to its
members. The AFRA website may be a useful tool in sourcing a removalist to meet your needs.
Simply enter your postcode on the website for a list of furniture removalist companies near you.
Q: Does the removalist require specialist equipment or training to move goods from a Mr Fluffy
A: Yes, removalists must undergo asbestos awareness training to work in a house affected by ‘Mr
Fluffy’ loose fill asbestos insulation. As a precautionary measure, removalists are also advised to
wear P2 half-face respiratory protection at all times, as the removal process will unsettle dust within
the house. All ACT AFRA members have been made aware of these requirements and have made
arrangements with a training provider to undertake asbestos awareness training.
Q: Should I advise my removalist company that my house is a Mr Fluffy house?
A: Yes you must disclose this information at the time of making enquiries as well as when they
attend your house, whether or not you are asked by the removalist. This is mandatory.
Q: Do I need to provide a copy of the assessor’s report to the removalist company?
A: Yes, you should provide a copy of your property’s the asbestos assessment report to the
removalist. This will enable the furniture removalist company to provide the best possible service
and will ensure safety for all people involved during the move.
Q: Do I need to prepare anything for the removal?
A: Yes, the removalist will require you to prepare your goods prior to their arrival at your home.
Through AFRA, removalists have also been advised by the Taskforce that they should refuse to pack
any goods in a known contaminated area (as indicated in the assessment report) and may refuse to
pack or move very dusty goods if they have any concerns.
The following documents will assist you in deciding what you can and can’t take:
Contents and Soft Furnishings
Fixtures and Fittings Guide
Homeowners should read these documents carefully to make an informed decision about what
belongings to take to your new home.
9 February 2015
In general:
You must not pack any soft fabric goods from areas where the licensed asbestos assessor
has indicated are contaminated.
You must not ask the furniture removalist to pack items stored in sub-floor or ceiling
Vacuum cleaners should be cleaned as per the manufacturer’s instructions and packed by
the owner. Mops, brooms, dustpans and brushes should be washed and packed in a plastic
You should pack and seal all other soft furnishings, clothes and linen prior to them being
lifted by the removalist company. The removalist will be able to provide you with cartons
and plastic covers prior to removal. The removalist will move these cartons and place them
where required in your new home but will not unpack any items that were packed by you.
All hard furnishings should be in a clean, dust-free condition.
It is essential that the above steps are taken prior to removal. Removalists have been advised by the
Taskforce that they may need to add in to their costings time to wet wipe any dusty
(uncontaminated) items. Good preparation by you will help to minimise costs for moving.
Q: Are there items that the removalist is not allowed to move?
A: Yes, the removalists have been advised by the ACT Asbestos Response Taskforce that they should
not enter contaminated sub floor areas or ceiling areas and as such, items located in these areas
must not be relocated unless they have been cleaned and cleared by a Class A licensed asbestos
removalist. This must be done prior to the removal taking place and the clearance certificate of this
work being carried out must be made available to the removalist. Also, items should not be removed
from cupboards identified by a licensed asbestos assessor as contaminated. You will need to leave
these goods behind for later disposal as contaminated waste by the ACT Government.
Q: What will happen to the items I leave behind in my house?
A: If you are taking part in the ACT Government’s Buyback Program and surrender your property
through this program the following will occur to items you leave behind:
As part of the security arrangements for surrendered properties, fixtures, fittings and other
contents left in the house will be marked (by a paint or dye) to render them invaluable and
reduce the incentive for people to illegally gain access to the property
The Taskforce will dispose of any items left in homes as contaminated waste through the
demolition program.
Q: Can I sell any of my items at a garage sale?
A: It is not recommended that you hold a garage sale of your goods, but if you do, you should
disclose the items are from a ‘Mr Fluffy’ house. Homeowners should refer to the Contents and Soft
Furnishings and the Fixtures and Fittings Guide when considering what items may be contaminated.
We recommend you pack items or leave unwanted items behind.
9 February 2015
Q: Are there any other issues that need to be considered?
A: This Q & A is designed to cover the general issues that will occur in most homes. If your home is
part way through a renovation, further advice should be sought through the Taskforce or Worksafe
Q: Where can I obtain more information about furniture removal?
A: You can find more information about information provided to AFRA members on the Fact Sheet:
Furniture Removal.
If you have any questions you can contact the Taskforce on 132281 or a contact a licensed asbestos
9 February 2015