Recruitment of workers abroad from early ’15

THE FIRST ENGLISH LANGUAGE DAILY IN FREE KUWAIT
Established in 1977 / www.arabtimesonline.com
emergency number 112
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2014 / MUHARRAM 16, 1436 AH
NO. 15584
52 PAGES
150 FILS
Iran may have violated N-deal with Powers: US think-tank
— Details Page 12 —
COMPLETE STOP TO COMMERCIAL VISIT VISAS TO WORK PERMITS EYED
Recruitment of workers abroad from early ’15
‘No more Visa 20 to 18’
By Fares Al-Abdan
Al-Seyassah Staff
KUWAIT CITY, Nov 8: The Public Authority
for Manpower will open the door for the
recruitment of laborers from abroad to work
in certain sectors in early 2015, says Director
General of the authority Jamal Al-Dosari.
Al-Dosari explained the recruitment will be for all
sectors which are currently suspended but it will be
done according to the yet-to-be specified percentages without any discrimination among employers.
He said this step will be carried out in based on the
results of a study which will be finalized soon to
specify the percentages and actual number of manpower required by each sector.
He said a committee headed by Minister of Social
Affairs and Labor, State Minister for Planning and
Development Affairs and Chairperson of the authority
Continued on Page 12
FATCA talks continue
A young boy holds onto a fence as refugees wait for the funeral convoy of 19-year-old Syrian Kurdish fighter girl Perwin
Mustafa Dihap who died after being wounded during fighting against the Islamic State forces in her home town of Kobani,
to pass by the camps in Suruc, on the Turkey-Syria border, on Nov 7. (AP) — See Page 12
KD 5 bln subsidy mostly spent on energy: MoF
Kuwait uncomfortable with WB study
By Raed Yusuf, Ayed Al-Enezi and
Nasser Qadeeh
Al-Seyassah Staff
KUWAIT CITY, Nov 8: Despite the
welcoming governmental reception to
the study prepared by the World Bank
on the comprehensive economic
reform in Kuwait, sources said the
country is very cautious in dealing with
the recommendations of international
monetary institutions, including the
World Bank, due to the negative consequences seen in other nations which
had previously implemented the recommendations.
Sources said HH the Prime Minister
Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak stressed,
during the extraordinary meeting of the
Cabinet with the World Bank representatives on Thursday, the necessity to
present practical and applicable suggestions and visions appropriate to the
Kuwaiti society. He hailed efforts
exerted by the bank to support Kuwait
in its bid to implement comprehensive
reforms, yet he lamented the fact that
the international institutions presented
inapplicable visions which do not
match the nature of the Kuwaiti society.
Sources pointed out news spread
about a governmental tendency to deal
with the decline in oil prices, particularly the proposal to reduce subsidies
granted to citizens, is nothing but speculation. He asserted the citizens with
limited income will not be the ‘victims’
Opinion
of governmental reform procedures.
Sources revealed the vision presented to the Cabinet is hard to apply,
emphasizing that it has been modified
under political and financial pressure.
In addition, it is not possible to carry
out many of the recommendations submitted by the World Bank because they
do not serve the welfare of Kuwait and
its current political condition.
Sources stressed the government
will never act against the citizens, confirming the procedures which will be
considered in this domain will be within the frame of reducing subsidy on
some services which do not affect ordinary citizens.
For his part, Minister of Oil, State
Continued on Page 12
Other Voices
Sheikh Sabah of
historic initiatives
West isn’t duty-bound
to solve Arab problems
By Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor
By Ahmed Al-Jarallah
UAE Businessman
Editor-in-Chief, the Arab Times
WHILE it’s true that Western powers can’t claim to
have clean hands in the Middle East, Arabs don’t
either. Most of the Arab leaderships have consistently shrugged off their responsibility to defend their
own people. For decades, Arabs have looked to Baba
America and its allies for protection, knowing full well that US
foreign policy is geared solely
towards its own security and
geopolitical interests.
During my latest visit to the
US to join president Jimmy
Carter in announcing a new
Israeli-Palestinian peace initiative at Illinois College, I had the
opportunity of meeting-up with
old friends as well as several
Al Habtoor
high-ranking officials and executives. I have a fondness for the American people.
Many have been unfailingly kind to me. But US policy is another matter entirely; it knows no friends,
only interests. Former CIA chief and defence secretary Leon Panetta spelled that out clearly in his book
“Worthy Fights”. I don’t object to that; it’s beyond
time that we took a leaf out of America’s book.
Moreover, even if, for the sake of argument, the
US was committed to having our back, it’s hardly
result-oriented. As Ambassador Chas. W. Freeman
writes, “We (the US) are trying to cope with the
WELL done HH the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad
Al-Jaber Al-Sabah as you always do your best to
maintain unity of the Gulf house. This has been your
habit for a long time. Your great efforts have proven
that the culture of Kuwait binds,
not dismantle.
This has been your conviction
since you served as Minister of
Foreign Affairs when you rooted
for the support of a prominent
diplomacy which distinguishes
such a small country geographically, as it plays a big role not only
in the Arab level but also the territorial and international levels.
Al-Jarallah
Leaning on this long and
authentic experience in easing
obstacles and matching viewpoints, your initiative
has been launched to eliminate the remaining impurities which are still stuck in the garment of brotherly relations between GCC countries.
Continued on Page 12
Email: [email protected]
Follow me on:
[email protected]
Continued on Page 8
Suspect arrested over threat to American schools
CAIRO, Nov 8, (AFP): Egypt on
Saturday announced the arrest of a USEgyptian citizen accused of having
posted on jihadist websites a threat to
attack American and other international schools in the region.
At the end of October, US embassies
in the Gulf states of Saudi Arabia,
Kuwait, Oman and the United Arab
Emirates, as well as the mission in
Egypt, called for vigilance over a threat
to American schools there.
Egypt’s interior ministry, in a statement on its official Facebook page,
said Alsayyed Abu Saree, 60, was
behind the threats and had been arrested, although it did not say when.
The suspect “posted a call through
jihadist websites for attacks targeting
government and foreign interests...
including against foreign teachers at
American and international schools in
the country”, it said.
Interior ministry spokesman Hani
Abdel Latif told AFP the suspect was
arrested in the Mediterranean city of
Alexandria, and that he holds both US
and Egyptian citizenship.
He also holds a certificate to teach at
American schools around the world
and has lived in the United States for
27 years.
In October, the American embassy in
Riyadh posted a warning saying that an
anonymous jihadist post specifically
Continued on Page 12
‘Kuwait is America’s
reliable energy partner’
KUWAIT CITY, Nov 8, (KUNA): Senior commercial
officer at the US Embassy Dao Le said that Kuwait is
a major partner especially in the field of energy, adding
that Kuwait will maintain this position well into the
medium term, as there is no other alternative for the
US. Therefore, Kuwait is a safe partner in energy.
The US diplomat stated in his interview with KUNA
that trade exchange between the two countries mostly
consists of Kuwaiti oil exports.
He added that trade exchange between the two countries jumped by 167 percent during the last four years,
rising from $5.7 billion in 2009 to $15.2 billion by last
Continued on Page 12
KUNA photo
His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
and an official delegation accompanying him returned home Friday
following brotherly visits to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar
and Bahrain. His Highness the Amir was received at the airport by
His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber
Al-Sabah, Parliament Speaker Marzouq Ali Al-Ghanim, Amiri
Diwan Minister Sheikh Nasser Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, and
Deputy Premier, Minister of Defense and Acting Interior Minister
Sheikh Khaled Jarrah Al-Sabah.
Newswatch
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia: It’s only for women over 30, who must
be off the road by 8 pm and cannot wear makeup behind the wheel.
But it’s still a startling idea.
The Saudi king’s advisory council — whose suggestions are not
binding — has recommended that the government lift its ban on
female drivers, a member of the council told The Associated Press
Friday. Local media subsequently quoted an official denying the
report.
Continued on Page 12
`