How to Apply for a Spouse/Partner Work Permit

How to Apply for a Spouse/Partner Work Permit
This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to for the most updated information or contact
UBC immigration consultants. The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Ali Rostin and Dianne Russell, Regulated
Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Before coming to Canada as a worker, or after arriving in Canada as a visitor
PROCESSING TIME: (updated weekly)
Online (
OR by paper; send to CIC Case Processing Centre (Vegreville, Alberta)
OR in person at a Canadian port of entry (border or airport)
Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]
General Supporting Documents (additional documents may be required)
 Copy of student’s study permit
 Copy of spouse/partner’s study/work permit, visitor record or visa (if applicable)
 UBC Letter of Enrollment for the student
 Copy of marriage certificate or common-law declaration
 Proof of funds
 Copy of spouse/partner’s passport (include the bio-data page plus any pages with stamps, visas or markings)
If any of the answers to questions on page 4 (Background Information) of IMM 5710 is YES or you are not sure
about your answer, contact UBC immigration consultants before submitting your application.
The student must be enrolled in full-time studies at the moment of spouse/partner’s application.
Work permits for a spouse or common-law partner are usually valid for the same period of time as the
student’s study permit.
The spouse/partner does not need a job offer to apply.
Need help scanning your documents? Go to the Irving K. Barber Chapman Learning Commons.
Press the “Validate” button to ensure your application is complete. The validate button does not send any
information to CIC, so you may edit and validate as many times as you need.
International House • 1783 West Mall • Phone: 604.822.5021 • Updated Dec 16, 2013 • Page 1 of 2
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a UCI?
UCI stands for “unique client identifier,” also known
as “client ID.” It appears on official documents such
as study and work permits. If you do not have a UCI,
leave this section blank.
What type of work
permit should I
Most spouses/partners should select “a work permit with a new employer.”
How do I fill out my
mailing address?
A “street no.” is the location of a
building on a street. Some “street
names” also contain numbers.
What is a document
A document number appears on official CIC documents. It is usually
printed in blank ink as one letter followed by 9 numbers.
How do I fill out the
“details of my
employer” section if I
don’t have a job?
Although you do not need a job offer to
apply for a post-graduation work
permit, you still must complete this
section. You do not need to attach an
offer of employment.
How do I answer
“Duration of
How do I fill out the
Write “from” today’s date and “to” up to
three years of your desired postgraduation work permit.
Do I need to upload
proof of a medical
Most people in Canada do NOT need proof of a medical exam unless (1) you lived in certain
countries for more than 6 months in the past 12 months, or (2) you want to work in certain healthrelated occupations; see You
can click “modify my answers” at the top of the document upload screen to review/change answers.
How can I sign the
form if I apply
You cannot sign the form if applying online; upload the form without signing. After uploading all your
documents, you will later be asked to electronically sign your application by typing your name.
If you do not have a job, you may describe your current situation, such as “accompanying
After You Get It
Apply for or renew your Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage.
Apply for or renew the Social Insurance Number (SIN). SIN is required to work in Canada.
Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada (if applicable).
Be prepared to prove at the border every time you enter Canada that you can support yourself financially. If you
don’t have a job, bring proof that you are actively looking for work (your resume, list of jobs you apply for, etc.)
International House • 1783 West Mall • Phone: 604.822.5021 • Updated Dec 16, 2013 • Page 2 of 2