Licensing Act 2003 Guidance Document Certificates Civic Centre

South Ribble Borough Council
Licensing Unit
Civic Centre
West Paddock
PR25 1DH
Tel: 01772 62 55 80
Fax: 01772 62 10 32
email: [email protected]
Licensing Act 2003 Guidance Document:
Applications for Premises Licences / Club Premises
How to apply for a Premises Licence / Club Premises Certificate
Part 3 of the Licensing Act 2003 (the Act) deals with Premises Licences. A Premises Licence
authorises the holder of the licence to use the premises to which the licence relates for
“licensable activities” – the sale/supply of alcohol, the provision of “regulated entertainment”
and the late night provision of hot food or drink. The Premises Licence details operating
conditions, the purpose of which is to regulate the use of the premises for licensable
activities in line with the licensing objectives. A Premises Licence will last until the licence is
revoked, suspended or surrendered, and therefore is not otherwise time limited, unless the
applicant requests a licence for a limited time.
The Act also recognises that volunteer and social clubs give rise to different issues than
commercially run premises selling direct to the public. These clubs (such as the Royal British
Legion, working men's or cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members
join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to
purchase alcohol in bulk for its members. Such clubs carry on licensable activities from
premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit. A
Club Premises Certificate is required, rather than a Premises Licence. Further information on
the criteria for a qualifying club is available on the Home Office website
All premises must hold a valid licence or certificate, or they will be unable to trade.
The following persons may apply for a Premises Licence:
 A person who carries on, or proposes to carry on, a business which involves the use
of the premises for the licensable activities to which the application relates;
 A person who makes the application pursuant to:
(i) Any statutory function discharged by that person which relates to those licensable
activities, or
(ii) Any function discharged by that person by virtue of Her Majesty’s prerogative.
 A recognised club;
 A charity;
 The proprietor of an educational institution;
 A health service body;
 A person who is registered under part 2 of the Care Standards Act 2000 in respect of
an independent hospital;
 The chief officer of police of a police force in England and Wales;
 A person of other such description as may be prescribed.
Please Note: Where the premises are a managed public house, the Licensing Authority will
expect the applicant for a Premises Licence to be the operating company, as the manager
(as an employee) would not be the person actually carrying on the business. The same
applies to premises such as cinema chains and fast food restaurant chains where the
managers will similarly be employees of the operating company.
However, in respect of most leased public houses, a tenant may run the business in
agreement with the pub operating company. In such cases it will not be a matter for the
Licensing Authority to decide who should apply for the premises licence, but a matter for the
tenant and the operating company to agree contractually.
An application for a premises licence must be made to the relevant licensing authority in
which the premises is located, therefore applications for all premises in the South Ribble
Borough must apply to South Ribble Borough Council.
The application includes:
(a) The prescribed form (including the operating schedule);
(b) A plan of the premises to which the application relates;
(c) If the licensable activities include the sale/supply of alcohol, by a form of consent in
the prescribed form, given by the individual whom the applicant wishes to have
specified in the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) – NB
There can only be one DPS per premises;
(d) The statutory fee – please see below
Applications must be made in writing. However, applications can be made to the Licensing
Authority by electronic means, i.e. e-mail, provided that the application is also forwarded to
the Council in writing forthwith. Applications should be sent only to the e-mail address:
[email protected]
Where the application is required to be accompanied by a fee, plan or other document, the
application does not have effect until the fee, plan or other document has been given.
IMPORTANT: Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and no action
taken on them.
The Operating Schedule
An operating schedule forms part of the application form and includes details of the following
(a) The relevant licensable activities;
(b) The times during which it is proposed that the relevant licensable activities are to take
(c) Any other times during which it is proposed that the premises are to be open to the
(d) Where the applicant wishes the licence to have effect for a limited period, that period;
(e) Where the relevant licensable activities include the supply of alcohol, details and the
consent of the person to be named as the DPS;
(f) Where the relevant licensable activities include the supply of alcohol, whether the
supplies are proposed to be for consumption on or off the premises, or both,
(g) The steps which it is proposed to take to promote the licensing objectives.
It will be expected, in order to meet the Crime Prevention and Public Safety objectives,
that you should confirm the occupancy figure for the premises and confirm whether a
fire risk assessment has been completed.
These steps are vitally important. If no representations are made by responsible authorities
and other persons, they will become the conditions in accordance with which the licensable
activities must be carried on at the premises.
Applications for Premises Licences or Club Premises Certificates must be accompanied by a
plan of the premises to which the application relates. The plan must:
Be drawn to the scale of 1:100 (unless the Licensing Authority has previously
confirmed in writing to the applicant that an alternative scale is acceptable);
Show the location of the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, any
external and internal walls which comprise the premises or in which the premises
are comprised;
Show the location of any exits from the premises;
Show the location of any escape routes from the premises;
Show the locations in the premises where the licensable activity is to take place
and, if more than one licensable activity is to take place, where each licensable
activity is to take place;
Where the supply or sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises is to take
place, show the location where the consumption of alcohol is to take place;
Show fixed structures which are impediments to movement;
Show the location and height of any stage or raised area;
Show the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment
including marine safety equipment; and
Show the location of any kitchens on the premises.
In cases of applications relating to the sale/supply of alcohol, the consent of the Designated
Premises Supervisor (DPS) is required, using the prescribed form.
Advertising of Applications
Applications for:
A new premises licence
A provisional statement
A variation of a premises licence
A new club premises certificate
A variation of a club premises certificate
Must advertise their application in two ways:
By displaying a notice prominently at or on the premises, where it can be easily
read from the exterior of the premises, for not less than 28 days starting on the
day following the giving of the application to the Licensing Authority; and
By publishing a notice on at least one occasion not more than 10 working days
after giving the application to the Licensing Authority (starting on the day following
the day on which the application was given) in a local newspaper circulating in the
vicinity of the premises.
The notice in (1) above must be of a size equal to or larger than A4; of a pale blue colour;
and printed in black type of a font size equal to or larger than 16.
A copy of this notice will also appear on the Councils website.
In all cases, the notice must contain:
(a) The name of the applicant or club;
(b) The postal address of the premises or club premises, if any, or if there is no postal
address for the premises, a description of those premises sufficient to enable the
location and extent of the premises to be identified;
(c) The postal address and, where applicable, the worldwide web address where the
register of the relevant licensing authority is kept and where the record of the
application may be inspected;
(d) The dates between which responsible authorities and other persons may make
representations to the relevant licensing authority;
(e) A statement that representations shall be made in writing; and
(f) A statement that it is an offence for knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement
in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable
on summary conviction for the offence.
Fee levels are set by Regulation rather than the Local Authority.
All premises are banded in to five categories (A-E) depending upon the non-domestic
rateable value (business rates) of the premises, as following:
Band A
Band B
Band C
Band D
Band E
£0 £4,301£33,001£87,001 £125,001 and
The fees relating to application for Premises Licences, Club Premises Certificates, variations
and annual fees are graduated in these five bands.
The main application fee for a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate is a one-off
fee, as follows:
Band A
Band B
Band C
Band D
Band E
Where premises are in band D or band E and the premises are used primarily and
exclusively for the supply of alcohol for consumption the main application fee for band D and
band E is £900 and £1,905 respectively.
In addition, where the “occupancy” of the premises is 5,000 or more persons there will be an
additional fee to be paid. Please contact the Licensing Unit for more details.
There is also an annual charge payable to those holding premises licences and club
premises certificates, as follows:
Band A
Band B
Band C
Band D
Band E
Where premises are in band D and band E and the premises are used primarily and
exclusively for the consumption of alcohol the main application fee for band D and band E is
£640 and £1,050 respectively.
In addition, where the “occupancy” of the premises is 5,000 or more persons an additional
fee is required. Please contact the Licensing Unit for more details.
The cost of a personal licence is £37. There are also other miscellaneous fees covering
copies of licences, interim authorities etc. – please contact the Licensing Unit for more
The Licensing Authority has established a Licensing Act Committee which considers
Licensing & Gambling applications. The Licensing Act Committee consists of up to 15
elected members, to carry out its Licensing functions and to make licensing decisions. In the
interests of speed, efficiency and cost-effectiveness, certain decisions and functions are
delegated to Sub-Committees and Officers.
In the case of applications for a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate where no
relevant representations have been made the application MUST be granted.
If a relevant representation is made in relation to a Premises Licence or Club Premises
Certificate application, the matter will be referred to a Licensing sub-committee of three
members who will consider all the evidence and decide whether or not the application shall
be granted and if granted, whether any additional conditions shall apply.
In the case of representations made by other persons who are likely to be affected by it (who
is not also a responsible authority), the Authority may determine that these representations
are frivolous or vexatious. The Authority must notify the person who made these
representations of the reasons for its determination no later than 5 working days before the
day on which any hearing is to be held, or before the determination of the application to
which the representation relates.
The law gives the Council two months to consider a premises licence or club premises
certificate application.
In the case of applications considered by a Licensing Sub-Committee you are entitled to be
represented by any person, whether or not that person is legally qualified. However, there is
nothing to prevent you putting your own case forward if you prefer.
The hearing must be held within 20 working days beginning with the day after the end of the
period during which representations may be made. The Licensing Authority must give the
notice of hearing no later than 10 working days before the day on which the hearing is to be
Further information relating to hearings will be provided prior to a hearing or on request.
When a decision is made to grant a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate,
Licensing Authority may grant the licence subject only to conditions consistent with
Operating Schedule accompanying the application and any conditions, which must
included in the licence by virtue of Sections 19, 20 and 21 of the Act. (These relate to
supply of alcohol, exhibition of films and door supervision).
Where relevant representations have been made, the Licensing sub-committee at the
hearing may, having regard to the representations, take any of the following steps, as it
considers necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives:
(i) Exclude any of the licensable activities to which the application relates;
(ii) Refuse to specify a person in the licence as the premises supervisor;
(iii) Reject the application.
Personal Licence
A Personal Licence is not required if you are operating solely under a Club Premises
Certificate or Temporary Event Notice (TEN). This exemption does not apply if you hire the
premises out for wedding receptions or similar. You do need a full Premises Licence for
these activities (unless you are only holding a small number of events, which you can hold
under a TEN) and therefore you will need to appoint a DPS (but see notes on holding
multiple licences below).
All sales of alcohol under a Premises Licence must be made by, or under the authority of, a
Personal Licence Holder. Not everyone who makes a sale has to hold a Personal Licence,
so long as a Personal Licence Holder has authorised the sale. This does not apply to
Qualifying Clubs or premises operating under a Temporary Event Notice.
You must apply for your Personal Licence to the Council in whose district you ordinarily
reside in.
You can have as many Personal Licence Holders on the premises as you wish, provided
there is only one Designated Premises Supervisor (see below). You can also choose to
become a Personal Licence Holder if you wish to apply for more then five TENs a year, but
otherwise would not require one.
Designated Premises Supervisor
Additionally, all premises operating under a Premises Licence to sell or supply alcohol must
appoint a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for the premises. There can only be one
DPS per premises.
The DPS will be held as the person in overall charge of the premises. You should therefore
choose this person with care. You have to nominate the DPS on your application form. This
person does not have to be on the premises at all times, but they must take responsibility for
what happens there. This means the DPS should ensure any staff they appoint are
appropriately trained in the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003 and are aware of any
specific conditions attached to the Premises Licence.
A person cannot become a DPS unless he/she is also a Personal Licence Holder. The
application procedure is described in the notes attached to the application forms.
Temporary Events (one off events and special occasions)
If you are holding a licensable activity that falls in to one of the following categories:
Less than 500 people attending, including staff
Lasting for not more than 168 hours, with a break of at least 24 hours thereafter
You can hold your event by submitting a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the Council.
This notice allows you to hold a licensable activity on premises that are not currently
licensed, or to hold activities your existing licence does not permit. This would include for
Selling alcohol at a school fete
Providing regulated entertainment at a pub where the current licence does not permit
Staying open to sell hot food in to the night on a special occasion (e.g. New Year’s
Selling alcohol after the hours your normal licence permits, e.g. for a special occasion
An amateur dramatics group putting on a play in unlicensed premises.
Are there any restrictions on TENs?
You can only have up to 50 TENs including 10 Late TENs a year if you are a
Personal Licence Holder (see section below on Personal Licences);
You can only have up to five TENs including 2 Late TENs a year if you are not a
Personal Licence Holder;
You must be aged 18 or over;
Restrictions apply where the applicant is an “associated person” of someone who has
already given a TEN, including spouses, close relations, agents and employees, and
their spouses. The word “spouse” also includes someone living with the notice giver;
You can only have a maximum of 12 TENs a year for any particular premises, subject
to an overall limit of no more than 21 days in total (where the TEN lasts for more than
one day).
If your event/activity falls outside these restrictions, you will require a full Premises Licence or
Club Premises Certificate.
If the number of TENs you seek in a year exceeds the limits above, the Council must serve a
counter notice prohibiting the event from going ahead. This must be served at least 24 hours
before the event.
When we receive your application we will consult the Police and Environmental Health
(relevant persons). They can object if they feel your event would undermine any of the
licensing objectives. If they do object, we will hold a public hearing in front of our Licensing
Sub-Committee to determine your application (unless all parties can agree a hearing is
unnecessary). The Committee will listen to evidence from both sides before deciding whether
the event can go ahead. However, Government guidance requires that we refuse permission
for the event in these circumstances unless there are exceptional reasons not to.
Where an objection is received in relation to a late Temporary Event Notice and a counter
notice is issued, there is no right of appeal to the Council’s Licensing Sub-Committee.
An outdoor space is still regarded as “premises” under the Act and you must obtain consent
for any licensable activities you hold in the open air. If the event is for more than 499 persons
(including staff), you will require a Premises Licence.
Standard Temporary Event Notice
A Standard temporary event notice is given if it is served no later than ten working days
before the day on which the event period begins:
(a) to the relevant licensing authority by means of a relevant electronic facility, or
(b) to the relevant licensing authority (otherwise than by means of a relevant electronic
facility) and to each relevant person.
Late Temporary Event Notice
A Late temporary event notice is given if:
(a) it is given to the relevant licensing authority by means of a relevant electronic facility
no later than five working days, but no earlier than nine working days, before the day
the event period begins, or
(b) both of the following are satisfied—
(i) it is given to the relevant licensing authority (otherwise than by means of a
relevant electronic facility) and to each relevant person no later than five
working days before the day on which the event period begins;
(ii) it is given to at least one of those persons no earlier than nine working
days before the day on which that event period begins.
Licensable Activities
(a) The sale by retail of alcohol;
(b) The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the
(c) The provision of regulated entertainment;
(d) The provision of late night refreshment.
Regulated Entertainment
(a) A performance of a play;
(b) An exhibition of a film;
(c) An indoor sporting event;
(d) A boxing or wrestling entertainment;
(e) A performance of live music;
(f) Any playing of recorded music;
(g) A performance of dance;
(h) Entertainment of a similar description to that falling within (e), (f) or (g) where the
entertainment takes place in the presence of an audience and is provided for the
purpose, or for purposes which include the purpose of, entertaining that audience.
Late Night Refreshment
A person provides late night refreshment if:
(a) At any time between the hours of 11pm and 5am he supplies hot food or hot drink to
members of the public, or a section of the public, on or from any premises, whether
for consumption on or off the premises, or
(b) At any time between those hours when members of the public, or a section of the
public, are admitted to any premises, he supplies, or holds himself out as willing to
supply, hot food or hot drink to any persons, or to persons of a particular description,
on or from those premises, whether for consumption on or off the premises, unless
the supply is an exempt supply.
Responsible Authorities
These are mainly public bodies which are entitled to make representations to the Licensing
Authority in relation to the application for the grant, variation or review of a premises licence
or club premises certificate or for the issue of a provisional statement.
You must ensure a copy of your application is made to the relevant Responsible
All representations made by these authorities are relevant if they concern the effect of the
application on the licensing objectives.
These authorities include:
The Chief Officer of Police;
The local Fire Authority;
The local enforcement agency for the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (i.e. the
local authority or Health & Safety Executive);
Environmental Health Authority (Environmental Protection Team);
Planning Authority;
Primary Care Trust or Local Health Board.
Any body representing those who are responsible for, or interested in, matters
relating to the protection of children from harm and is recognised by the licensing
authority for that area as being competent to advise it on such matters; AND
Any licensing authority, including the relevant licensing authority, in whose area part
of the premises are situated.
These are the relevant contact details for Responsible Authorities in South Ribble:
Chief of Police
Fire Authority
Lancashire Constabulary
Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service
Licensing Unit
South Ribble Fire Safety Department
County Police Office
Cuerden Way
St Thomas's Road
Bamber Bridge
Phone: 01257 246 215
Phone: 01772 334 911
Planning Authority
Environmental Protection
South Ribble Borough Council
South Ribble Borough Council
Civic Centre
Civic Centre
West Paddock
West Paddock
PR25 1DH
PR25 1DH
Phone: 01772 625 410
Phone: 01772 625 329
Social Services
Health and Safety Unit
Paul Jenkins
South Ribble Borough Council
Lancashire Safeguarding Children’s
Civic Centre
Board Manager
West Paddock
Room B52
PO Box 61
County Hall
PR25 1DH
Preston PR1 8RJ
Phone: 01772 536 288
Phone: 01772 625 330
Trading Standards
Licensing Unit
Lancashire County Council
South Ribble Borough Council
(Licensing Act 2003)
Civic Centre
Trading Standards
West Paddock
58-60 Guildhall Street
PR25 1DH
Phone 01772 533 569
Phone: 01772 625 580
Primary Care Trust
NHS Central Lancashire
Jubilee House
Lancashire Business Park
Centurion Way
PR26 6TR
Phone: 01772 643178
Depending upon the nature of your business, your health and safety enforcing authority may
not be the Council. In such circumstances the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will carry
out health and safety enforcement. A copy of your application should be forwarded to the
address below and NOT the Health and Safety Unit of the Council:
Health and Safety Executive North West Division
Grove House
Skerton Road
M16 0RB
Relevant person
References to a “relevant person”, in relation to any application, are references to the
(a) the chief officer of police for any police area in which the premises are situated,
(b) the local authority by which statutory functions are exercisable in any area in
which the premises are situated in relation to minimising or preventing the risk of
pollution of the environment or of harm to human health.”.
Other Persons
An “other person” is defined as:
Person(s) who live, or are involved in a business, in the relevant licensing authority’s area
and who are likely to be affected by it (who are not also a responsible authority)
Licensing Objectives
The licensing objectives are—
(a) the prevention of crime and disorder;
(b) public safety;
(c) the prevention of public nuisance; and
(d) the protection of children from harm.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this leaflet is as comprehensive and
accurate as possible. However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements
have been omitted. Full details of what you must do are in the legislation itself.
Further advice can be obtained from our office using the contact details on the top of
this advice sheet, however you are advised to seek legal advice when applying for any
permission(s) under this legislation. We must also advise that only the Courts can
give an authoritative opinion on statute law.