How to apply for housing NCHA TeNANCy SkillS

NCHA Tenancy Skills
How to apply for
Provides the knowledge
required for the National
Open College Network
Pre-Tenancy Skills Award
Unit 1 - Understand how to apply
for housing
Outcome 1 - Know the types of
housing available
NCHA Tenancy Skills
How to apply for housing
1.1 Identify the types of housing available
in your area.
Nottingham, NG5 6LU
[email protected]
There are two types of housing you can rent social housing and private rented housing.
Broxtowe Borough Council
Foster Avenue
Nottingham, NG9 1AB
Social Housing
Social housing homes are let through Choice
Based Lettings Schemes.
All of these schemes have their own website, for
example Nottingham City have HomeLink www.
homelink where you will find details of the
types of social housing available from all social
landlords in Nottingham.
In the East Midlands there are ten local authority
Choice Based Lettings Schemes which are all
listed below.
Rushcliffe Borough Council
Civic Centre
Pavilion Road
West Bridgford
Nottingham, NG2 5FE
Bassetlaw area
A1 Homefinder
Nottingham City
A1 Housing Bassetlaw
Queen’s Buildings
Potter Street
Worksop, S80 2AH
Homelink (Nottingham City Council)
Mansfield and Ashfield sub- region
Homelink CBL
14 Houndsgate
Nottingham, NG1 7BA
AM Homefinder
Gedling, Broxtowe, Rushcliffe subregion
Gedling Borough Council
Civic Centre
Arnot Hill Park
Mansfield District Council
Civic Centre
Chesterfield Road South
Mansfield, NG19 7BH
[email protected]
Ashfield Homes
Head Office
Brook Street
Sutton in Ashfield, NG17 1AL
[email protected]
NCHA Tenancy Skills
Derbyshire Dales, Amber Valley,
Erewash sub-region
Home Options
Derbyshire Dales District Council
Town Hall
Bank Road
Matlock, DE4 3NN
Amber Valley Housing Ltd/Futures Homescape
PO Box 6458
Asher Lane
Ripley, DE5 3BF
Erewash Borough Council
Town Hall
Wharncliffe Road
Ilkeston, DE7 5RP
South Derbyshire District Council area
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
Swadlincote, DE11 0AH
Leicester City area
Leicester Homechoice
Leicester City Council
Housing Options Service
Phoenix House
Welford Place
Leicester, LE1 6ZG
Melton, North West Leicestershire,
Charnwood, Oadby and Wigston,
Blaby, Hinckley and Bosworth
Leicestershire Choice Based Lettings
Melton Borough Council
Housing Options Team
Council Offices
Nottingham Road
Melton Mowbray, LE13 0UL
North West Leicestershire District Council
Housing Advice Team
Council Offices
Whitwick Road
Colville, LE67 3FJ
Charnwood Borough Council
Housing Needs
Council Offices
Southfields Road
Loughborough, LE11 2TT
Oadby and Wigston Borough Council,
Customer Services
Council Offices
Station Road
Leicester, LE18 2DR
Blaby District Council
Housing OptionsTeam
Council Offices
Desford Road
Leicestershire, LE19 2EP
NCHA Tenancy Skills
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
Customer Services
Council Offices
Agents Mead
Leicestershire, LE10 1BZ
1.2 State the difference between social
housing and private rents.
Kettering area
• Security of tenure refers to how secure your
tenancy is and means how easy it would be for
your landlord to end your tenancy, ask you to
leave or evict you.
Kettering Keyways CBL
Kettering Borough Council
Bowling Green Road
Kettering, NN15 7QX
Northampton area
Northampton Homechoice CBL
The Homechoice Team
Housing Services
Northampton Borough Council
The Guildhall
St Giles Square
Northampton, NN1 1DE
Private Rented Accommodation
For private rented accommodation try using
websites, for example Rightmove www. or Zoopla
You will be able to search by location, size and
price and to select options to share with others.
Some areas have lists of available properties
printed in local newspapers.
For both social and private rented homes there
is likely to be more choice in city areas than
in rural areas. This can make it difficult to find
smaller accommodation, such as one bedroom
flats, in rural locations.
The main differences between social housing
and private rents are as follows:
Security of tenure
• Most social housing is let on lifetime tenancies,
which mean if you keep to the rules of the
tenancy agreement you can stay in your home
for as long as you want.
• However if you do not keep to the rules of the
tenancy agreement, for example by not paying
your rent, playing loud music or being a
nuisance to your neighbours, the landlord could
ask you to leave.
• In such cases the landlord would have to take
court action against you and the judge would
decide if the landlord is being reasonable in
asking you to move. Under some tenancies
social landlords can do this without going to
• Accommodation let by private landlords has
less security of tenure and it is easier for them
to ask you to move. Their tenancies run on
either a six month or yearly cycle.
• At the end of the tenancy, even if you are a
good tenant, a private landlord can still ask
you to leave by giving you a letter and a Notice
Seeking Possession. If your landlord does this
you have to move. If you refuse the landlord
can get a bailiff to evict you from the home.
NCHA Tenancy Skills
• Social housing rents are lower than private
housing rents. If you are unemployed and
receive Housing Benefit, this will usually cover
all of the social housing rents. However if the
accommodation is judged to be too big for
your needs, for example if you have a spare
bedroom, then you may have to pay an underoccupation charge which will not be met by
Housing Benefit.
• In private rented housing the rents tend to be
higher and Housing Benefit may not cover the
whole of the rent.
• Social housing tenants are expected to pay a
month’s rent in advance. Private rented tenants
are usually asked to pay a month’s rent in
advance and another month’s rent as a bond
or deposit which should be returned when you
leave the accommodation.
• Most social housing homes are not furnished.
Tenants have to provide their own furniture,
carpets, curtains and kitchen appliances.
Private rented homes vary; some are fully
furnished, some just have carpets, curtains and
kitchen appliances and others are completely
1.3 Outline how a local housing register
For social housing homes the Local Housing
Register is the local Choice Based Lettings
Scheme as described above.
To apply for a home you have to be added to the
register. You will need to fill out an application
form, which can usually be found on-line or can
be picked up from the local authority offices or
any housing association’s office.
If you need help to fill out the application form,
most social landlords will offer some support and
a translation service if required.
When you have completed the application form,
your name will be added to the housing register
and you will usually get a registration pack
which includes a letter confirming your reference
number and what band or priority you have been
given. You may be also given some guidance or
information about how long you will have to wait
for certain homes in certain areas.