How to apply to Bayreuth University

How to apply to Bayreuth University
1. Application to the University of Bayreuth
In order to apply to Bayreuth University you will be asked to go through an online application
process on the International Office´s homepage. Here is the link to the relevant website:
You will find detailed information on the online application process here:
For a correct application, you will need the following documents:
Your CV
Certificate which shows that you are admitted for higher education. This is usually the
(high) school leaving certificate, translated into English or German. All photocopies
need to be certified.
All your academic degrees and certificates, translated into English or German and
certified. All photocopies need to be certified.
A full transcript of your academic records, translated into English or German and
certified. All photocopies of the translations also need to be certified.
Language Requirements
To study a Bachelor- or Master-degree course which is conducted in German at the
University of Bayreuth, you will need sufficient knowledge of the German language. At
Bayreuth University, all Bachelor degree-courses require German. To be able to start a
Bachelor degree course, you will have to prove between 600-800 hours of training in the
German language. Your knowledge of German may be proven either by a TestDAF exam or
the DSH exam of the B2-level. This certificate needs to be attached to your online application
To study a degree course which is conducted in English at the University of Bayreuth, you
will need sufficient knowledge of the English language. You may prove your proficiency with
a TOEFL-test or an IELTS-test which is not older than two years.
For further information concerning TOEFL, please check the following link:
For further information concerning IELTS, please check the following link:
The printed application form (pdf-file) with its attached certificates including proof of your
proficiency in German or English have to be sent
a) through the online application process via email and
b) via snail mail to the International Office at the University of Bayreuth:
University of Bayreuth
International Office
Admission Incoming Students
D-95440 Bayreuth
2. Admission
After having received your application, the International Office will check if your school
leaving certificate, your degrees and transcript of records fulfil the qualifications required to
study at our university. If that is the case, the International Office forwards your documents to
the student registration office (Studierendenkanzlei) which in turn issues the admission letter
(in German).
As a rule admission letters are issued about four to six weeks after the reception of your
application documents. Please note that Bayreuth University ranks first in Germany in the
International Student Barometer with respect to the speed with which we answer to
3. Enrolment at the University of Bayreuth
Enrolment has to be done by you in person at the student registration office
(Studierendenkanzlei). For the winter term 2013/14 the enrolment period dates from August
23th until October 11th.
PhD-students are free to enrol at any time of the year. For students who arrive late due to
problems with the visa process an exception of this deadline is made.
For updated information regarding deadlines, tuition fee and other contributions check the
Place of enrolment: Studierendenkanzlei
Central University Administration (ZUV), ground floor, room 1.09.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9h00 – 12h00 and Wednesday 9h00 to 15h30.
For enrolment you need the following documents:
Admission letter.
Confirmation of your student health insurance (Bescheinigung zur Immatrikulation)
If you have a private health insurance you need to provide a confirmation that you are
exempted from student health insurance in a public health insurance company.
This exemption can be obtained during the office hours of Techniker Krankenkasse
on campus on Wednesdays in the SWO-building, ground floor, right hall, room 1.62.
Office hours 10h00 -13h00. Please ring on the bell of the SWO-building with the blue
sign of the TK.
Passport picture
Proof for payment of SWO-contribution
Contribution to the Studentenwerk Oberfranken (SWO- contribution)
All students in Germany have to pay a contribution to the Student Works (Studentenwerk) in
their local university town. The Student Works Oberfranken run the student dorms, the
university restaurant and counselling and tutoring services. Your SWO contribution includes
a term ticket for public transportation. In the winter term 2013/14 the SWO-contribution is
82,30 Euro.
You have to make the payment to the Staatsoberkasse Bayern (Landshut)
Banking Code: 700 500 00
Account Number: 4101190315
Reference (IMPORTANT!):
a) Application number,IM132,Surname,First name
b) If you do not have an application number: IM132,Surname,First name
For transfers from abroad, you will need the following information:
a) BIC-number: BYLADEMM
b) IBAN-number: DE36 7005 0000 4101 1903 15
Please heed the following information: If you do the payment through a transfer at your
bank with a bank transfer slip, this slip has to be stamped and signed by the bank clerk who
helps you with the transaction in order to be accepted for enrolment. Besides the Sparkasse,
most banks refuse to do this. The best possibility to prove that you have paid the SWOcontribution is a bank statement which shows the debiting of your account.
Validation of the Student Campus Card
Right after you have received the Student Campus Card you can validate it. Outside of the
Student Registry Office / Studierendenkanzlei there is a grey terminal “Validierungsstation”.
You have to insert the card in order to receive the imprint that validates the card for the next
semester. This card can be used as a ticket for public transportation during the semester.
4. German language proficiency
The Institute for International Communication (IIK) located in Bayreuth, is a spin-off of
Bayreuth University. The institute organizes our university’s ‘Summer University for
Intercultural German Studies’ dedicated to international students. In addition, the institute
offers German classes in preparation for the TestDAF exam and the DSH exam. Please
check their homepage:
5. Degree courses with admission tests
Please check the following web pages for further information!
1) Philosophy & Economics (B.A.)
2) Geographische Entwicklungsforschung Afrikas
3) Gesundheitsökonomie
4) Economics
5) Internationale Wirtschaft und Entwicklung
6) Wirtschaftsingenieur
7) Sportökonomie
8) Geoökologie
9) Musiktheaterwissenschaft
10) Medienwissenschaften (B.A.)
11) Theater und Medien (B.A.)
6. Degree courses with restricted admission due to limited capacity
Please check the following web page for further information!
• Betriebswirtschaftlehre
You will find detailed information about the criteria for admission to these restricted degree
courses here:
7. Master degree courses
a) Business Administration, Health Care Management and Industrial Engeneering
(taught in German)
Please check the following web page for further information:
b) all other Master degree courses
Please check the corresponding web page for further information:
c) Master degree courses taught in English
Computer Science:
Philosophy & Economics
African Languages Studies
Intercultural Anglophone Studies
Global Change Ecology:
Experimental Geosciences:
8. ERASMUS Exchange Scheme
You will find information about the degree courses and our partner universities constituting
our ERASMUS network:
9. General Information about student life at the University of Bayreuth
Please check the following link for general information:
Accommodation: Rooms and shared apartments in student dormitories are let by the
Student Works Upper Franconia (Studentenwerk Oberfranken), SWO.
This is the link to their website:
The website also contains a bilingual application sheet for the apartments. Costs are
approximately as follows:
rent excluding electricity costs: 115,- Euro per month
deposit: 210,- Euro
electricity costs: 40,- Euro
Private accommodation is more expensive. In a flat-sharing community, you would have to
budget 150,- to 300,- Euros. For an individual single-room apartment, you have to calculate
up to 400 – 500 Euros. Check this link for private accommodation:
For general information about living costs in Bayreuth please check the following website:
Bank account: For the transfer of your scholarship as well as for the direct debiting of the
health insurance contribution or the rent, you will need to open a German bank account as
soon as possible after your arrival. There are some institutes offering free current accounts
(Girokonto) for students.
Financial management: As a student, you have to bring money along which may either be
private means or a scholarship. For your first month in Germany, you will need more money
than usual, in order to pay tuition fees, health insurance, rent deposit and maybe some extra
clothing. The absolute MINIMUM that you need to bring because it is required by immigration
law, is 670,- Euro per month (8040,- Euro per year). You will need to prove that you possess
this money for the entire duration of your stay in order to receive your residence permit by
the immigration office. A more realistic amount for your livelihood is about 700, - Euro per
For more details, see “Information for foreign students from countries outside the European
Union and the European Economic Community” provided by the City of Bayreuth in its
download centre:
Health insurance: Students need a health insurance for the entire duration of their stay.
This is a precondition for enrolment at the University of Bayreuth as well as for getting a
residence permit by the immigration office. Please replace your travel health insurance with
which you arrive in Germany immediately after your arrival in Bayreuth and take out a public
student health insurance. This has to be done before the registration at both, the university
and the immigration office.
Private health insurance is allowed in exceptional cases. Please note that once you take out
a private health insurance, it may be difficult to revert to public health insurance!
We strongly advise that if you choose a private health insurance, you should be careful not to
opt for to short contract periods. We have had cases where students with a private health
insurance fell ill, so that the health insurance refunded costs for treatment and medication.
But after the expiry of the contract they would not prolong it and the student could not revert
to the public health insurance. We advise to sign a contract for the entire duration of your
stay instead of one-year periods to be extended regularly.
Please check this link to the DAAD for further information:
Please be aware that private health insurance contracts have to be approved by the
Immigration Office.
Food: Is available at the university’s students’ canteen (Mensa) at costs from 2,50 to 4,50
Euro per meal. Opening hours are: Monday – Thursday 11h00 – 14h00 and Friday 11h00 –
The cafeteria adjacent to the Mensa offers breakfast, snacks and small meals on Monday –
Friday 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday 9 am – 2 pm and Thursday 4 – 8 pm.
Rooms and shared apartments at the student dormitories have a kitchenette where you can
prepare your own food. There are several shopping opportunities (supermarkets, bakeries,
butcheries) near the dormitories.
Journey and arrival: The airport closest to Bayreuth is Nuremberg (1 h train journey from
Bayreuth). Other possibilities are Munich (2,5 h from Bayreuth) or Frankfurt am Main (3,5 h
from Bayreuth). For the plane ticket, please ask your local travel agency. For railway
connections to Bayreuth, please also consult the website of the German railway company
(Deutsche Bahn). You find the link to their homepage here:
Passport photographs: If you bring passport photos along, please make sure that they
meet the following requirements for biometrical passport pictures:
Visa: As a student, you have to provide an admission letter (Zulassungsbescheid) by the
student registry office (Studierendenkanzlei) and NOT by the university chair you want to
For further details concerning visa application procedures check the following link:
(update: June 2013)
(Disclaimer: We accept no liability for incomplete or wrong information)
(Edited and updated by the Welcome Centre of Bayreuth University)