How to use this guide

How to use this guide
This guide contains an index at the back to help you locate the information you need.
Entries are in alphabetical order, and most include a web address and/or contact
details of a department or staff member who can provide more detailed information.
Note: The services and facilities mentioned in this guide are all available on the Bentley
campus. Students at regional campuses can access these or similar services via the
web and may have specialist facilities on their own campus.
Information specific to international students will be presented in this way.
This guide has been designed to help you
settle into Curtin, both academically and
socially. It contains information on services
and facilities, student responsibilities and
where to go for advice or help. Information
in this guide is relevant to all students.
Semester One
Feb 9 International Student Enrolment Briefing
Feb 9 – 13 International Student Prep Week
Feb 16 – 20 ‘O’ Week
Feb 23 Classes commence
Feb 23 – Apr 3 6 teaching weeks
Feb 27 Last date for all enrolments
Last date for addition of semester one units
Last date for payment of student fees
Mar 31 Semester one census date*
(last date to withdraw from semester one units without
academic or fee penalty)
Apr 1 – May 8 Final period to withdraw from semester one units
(with academic and fee penalty)
Apr 6 – 15 2 Tuition-free weeks (including Easter)
Apr 20 – May 31 6 teaching weeks
May 11 eVALUate opens for student feedback
Jun 1 – 7 Study week
Jun 8 – 19 Semester one examinations
For more information visit:
The calendar below applies to the Bentley and Kalgoorlie
campuses. While most regional campuses and centres adhere
to the academic dates listed below, some offer courses that
follow a different academic calendar.
Please visit for dates relevant to regional campuses.
Calendar 09
* Refer to Census Dates on page 15 for more details.
Semester Two
Jul 13 International Student Enrolment Briefing
Jul 13 – 17 International Student Prep Week
Jul 20 – 24 ‘O’ Week
Jul 27 Classes commence
Jul 27 – Aug 23 4 teaching weeks
Jul 31 Last date for new semester two enrolments
Last date for addition of second semester units
Last date for payment of student fees
Aug 31 Semester two census date*
(last date to withdraw from semester two units without
academic or fee penalty)
Aug 24 – 30 Tuition-free week
Sep 1 – Oct 9 Final period to withdraw from semester two units
(with academic and fee penalty)
Aug 31 – Sep 27 4 teaching weeks
Sep 28 – Oct 4 Tuition-free week
Oct 5 – Nov 1 4 teaching weeks
Oct 12 eVALUate opens for student feedback
Nov 2 – 8 Study week
Nov 9 – 20 Semester two examinations
Dec 11 Deadline for 2010 re-enrolment
Student Charter
Curtin University values its students and
recognises the importance of the overall
student experience.
With this in mind, the University is committed
to providing a welcoming, supportive and
safe environment, conducive to learning and
research and the development of individuals
who display the Curtin values of Integrity,
Respect, Fairness and Care.
To achieve this, the University
undertakes to:
• Ensure that students have access to all
relevant laws, University Statutes, rules,
by-laws, the University’s Guiding Ethical
Principles, policies and procedures
relating to their rights as a student.
• Provide support services which take into
consideration the requirements of all
• Provide a study environment free from
unlawful discrimination, bullying or
• Provide a safe environment for study,
research and other university related
activities and to observe all relevant
• Embrace and recognise diversity.
• Ensure the availability of core units and
other course requirements to enable
program completion within allowable
• Provide accurate and accessible
information about all relevant aspects of a
course including unit learning outcomes,
content, assessment and timetables in
a timely manner before the start of each
study period.
• Provide reasonable access to staff to
discuss program matters, address
concerns and complaints; and ensure
timely fair and constructive assessment of
• Provide appropriate facilities and
equipment to support student learning.
• Ensure that students have representation
on University committees to enable
participation in decision making.
• Ensure students have opportunities to
provide feedback on unit quality, teaching
performance, support services and
• Ensure that any campus related
disruption that may affect students during
their course of study is kept to a minimum
and is communicated in a timely manner.
• Recognise the legal rights of students
including those relating to intellectual
property and privacy.
Stu dents also have
responsibilities and are
expected to:
• Inform themselves of, and comply with, all
relevant laws, University Statutes, rules,
by-laws, the University’s Guiding Ethical
Principles, policies and procedures relating
to their rights as a student.
• Participate constructively in the learning
• Be aware of course and unit requirements
and their individual academic progress.
• Behave in an appropriate manner within
the learning environment, showing respect
for both staff and fellow students at all
• Use University facilities and services in an
honest and responsible manner.
• Recognise that cheating, plagiarism and
fabrication or falsifications of data are not
• Embrace and recognise diversity.
• Adhere to the proper use of copyright
Student Charter
Fees Centre 9266 3500
International Office 9266 7331
Parking and Traffic 9266 7116 / 4724
Student Central 9266 3399
Centres for regional
Albany 9824 0888
Armadale 9497 0930
Esperance 9071 9606
Geraldton 9920 4400
Kalgoorlie 9088 6742
Karratha 9159 6742
Margaret River 9780 5800
Midland 9274 5014
Port Hedland 9158 9400
Emergency numbers
Curtin Security 9266 4444
Fire/Police/Ambulance 000
(Life-threatening emergencies only)
Number (Internal Curtin phone) 5
On-campus Emergency
Police 131 444
Faculty student service
Centre for Aboriginal Studies 9266 7091
Curtin Business School
(undergraduate) 9266 7713
(postgraduate) 9266 7715
Health Sciences 9266 4583
Humanities 9266 3400
Muresk Institute, Bentley 9266 4400
Science & Engineering 9266 4600
Regional campuses
Graduate School of Business 9266 3460
Kalgoorlie (WASM) 9088 6001
Margaret River 9780 5829
Muresk Institute, Northam 9690 1576
Student services
Health Services 9266 7345
Housing Services Office 9266 4430
International Stud. Advisers 9266 2434
First Year Experience Coord. 9266 4761
Student Guild 9266 2900
University Counselling
Service 9266 7850
Important phone numbers
Things to do:
Become familiar with OASIS particularly
the official communication channel.
Check you are enrolled in the correct
units (check your enrolment advice)
Register your classes via eStudent. (in
Go to the ‘O’ Week website and plan
your orientation
Attend O Week (Feb 16 – 20)
including academic events
Join a Campus & Library Tour
Find out at which venues your classes
will be held
Organise your parking permit or public
transport route
Explore Curtin’s clubs & associations
Classes start on February 23rd
International students,
need to also:
Contact your family to let them know you
have arrived safely
Settle into permanent accommodation
Apply online to obtain your Overseas
Student Health Cover Card
Open a bank account
Attend Prep Week (Feb 9 – 14)
visit the o week website:
Orientation checklist
A-Z Directory
Abacus labs
See Computer Access on page 17.
Academic Status
All students commence their course with
an Academic Status of Good Standing.
However, less than satisfactory academic
performance will result in a review of the
status to either Conditional or Terminated.
Good Standing - The student is achieving
satisfactory course progress and is
permitted to continue in the course and
• Students that are on a status of
Good Standing have a Semester
Weighted Average (SWA) of 50 or
Conditional - The student is permitted
to continue in the course and re-enrol
under conditions as determined by the
Head of School.
• Students on a status of Conditional
generally have a SWA of less than
50 or in the study period just ended,
failed 50% or more of the units the
student was enrolled in.
Terminated - The student has not
achieved satisfactory course progress
and is terminated from the course. The
student is not permitted to continue in
the course or re-enrol in the course without
approval from the Director, Student
Students that are on a status of
• normally would have been enrolled
for at least 2 study periods
• must have a current status of
• a status of Conditional and a current
SWA of less than 49; or
• a status of Good Standing and a
current SWA of less than 40.
Academic support
If you are an AusAID student and believe
you may fail a unit, you can apply for
AusAID funded tutorial support of
up to 10 hours per semester. Forms
are available from the International
sponsored Student Unit (ISSU) or from
You will be required to complete the form
with a recommendation from your course
co-ordinator/supervisor for an
appropriate tutor. Forms should be
returned to the ISSU.
CBS communication skills
The CBS Communication Skills Centre
provides a free support service for all
students enrolled in Curtin Business
School. The Centre has a number
of Academic Advisers who provide
communication and academic study
skills support in a number of ways:
Abacus labs / Academic status / Academic 8
• Student workshops on academic
writing, spoken communication,
study skills and professional
• Weekly academic writing classes
• A weekly conversation class
• Individual consultations to assist
students with academic issues and
provide guidance on how to improve
their assignments and obtain better
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm (other
times by special arrangement)
Location: Building 407, Room 202
Tel: 9266 3079
Fax: 9266 3096
Carmela Briguglio: [email protected]
Julie Howe: [email protected]
Help with English
See English Language Support on
page 29 and UniEnglish on page 78.
The learning centre
The Learning Centre (TLC) offers a wide
variety of learning support programs
designed to enhance the academic
performance of students at all stages of
their university studies.
The Centre provides the following free
academic seminars for undergraduate and
postgraduate students throughout the year:
• StudyPlus Program: Study
Skills and Strategies Module and
workshops – getting more out of
lectures and tutorials, critical reading
and note making, oral presentation,
gathering and structuring ideas,
winning assignments.
Study Management Module and
workshops – returning to study (for
mature-age students), managing your
time and keeping motivated, working in
groups, academic integrity, preparing for
Successful Assignments Module – report
writing, critiquing and reviewing, analysing
case studies, reflective/journal writing,
and synthesising.
• StudyPlus Postgraduate
Program: getting started on
research, postgraduate writing,
writing from sources, literature
review, thesis experience, structure
and cohesion, editing.
• PowerPlus Writing Program:
a five-seminar program covering
sentence structure, punctuation,
grammar, syntax, writing powerful
sentences for academic and
professional success.
• PowerPlus Essay Program: a
five-seminar program providing
guidelines, formulae, hints and tips
for essays, reports and other written
Academic support / Cbs communication skills centre
• Gateway Program: A five-seminar
program especially for students
for whom English is an additional
language. The program covers
listening, participating effectively in
tutorials, preparing and practising
oral presentations, and interacting
with lecturers and colleagues.
• Grammar Masterclass: A five seminar
program especially for
students for whom English is an
additional language. The program
covers the finer points of English
• Pathfinder Program: a five-seminar
program designed to help students
make the transition to studying at
• Customised Program: one-off
short modules addressing specific
learning skills, processes, and
strategies as requested by students
and/or lecturers. These can be
arranged to run for groups of 10
or more students at a time that
is convenient to them (including
evenings and weekends).
All seminars are conducted by expert
lecturers in a relaxed and supportive
environment. Students who attend
five seminars and are referred by their
supervisor or unit co-ordinators will have
access to individual assistance.
For students who cannot attend
• The Learning Centre Homepage
au has links to StudyTrek, Start-up,
Study Skill Self-Assessment, and
other relevant websites. PowerPlus
Writing and PowerPlus Essay
Programs can also be accessed
through links from the Homepage.
These resources are continuously
being added to, and students are
encouraged to e-mail The Learning
Centre on [email protected] with
suggestions for additional online
Location: Building 105 (Library), Level 1
Tel: 9266 3825
Fax: 9266 1710
Email: [email protected]
University Counselling Service
See page 22.
Academic Transcript
A full complementary Academic
Transcript will be forwarded to all
graduating students following the
conferral of their degree by Council.
Non-graduating students who require an
Academic Transcript (on official Transcript
paper) can contact the Customer Service
Unit. The cost of an official transcript is $10.
Academic Transcript / Accommodation / Alumni 10
An unofficial Academic Transcript
(Academic eRecord) can be printed
through eStudent.
Students who have a sanction or
exclusion placed on their record (e.g.
outstanding fees, library fines) will not
be able to access their results or be
provided with an Academic Transcript
until they have cleared the sanction or
Supplementary Statement of
The Supplementary Statement of
Achievement is an official document
issued by the University that recognises
achievements or involvement in Curtin
related activities. These activities may
include scholarships, volunteer work,
student mentoring, representing Curtin
in high-level sporting events, prizes and
awards. The Supplementary Statement
of Achievement is issued separately
from, and in addition to, the Academic
For information on other official
documents, visit www.students.curtin.
Curtin provides a comprehensive housing
service to its students and staff, with
nearly 1,200 places available for student
accommodation on or near the Bentley
campus and an extensive database of
private accommodation options. Staff
in the Housing Services Office can
assist with applications for on-campus
residency and locating off-campus
accommodation, and can provide
information about tenancy legislation,
connecting utilities, home insurance,
renting furniture and much more.
Office Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Location: Building 103
Tel: 9266 4430
Fax: 9266 7455
Email: [email protected]
Note: Curtin also provides on campus
accommodation and advisory services in
Kalgoorlie, Northam and Miri campuses.
Each student granted a degree at Curtin
is automatically part of the Curtin Alumni
Network upon graduation, without fee
and for life. Curtin Alumni has over
130,000 members in more than 100
countries, and each year welcomes
over 6,000 new graduates to its global
network. The Alumni Relations Office
helps to maintain a strong professional
and social network among graduates
from all disciplines through a range
of social and educational events
and activities. Graduates have the
opportunity to play an active part in
the future direction of the University
and demonstrate their support for the
University and its activities.
Alumni / Academic Transcript
Alumni Office Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Location: Building 101, Room 208
Tel: 9266 3113
Fax: 9266 7527
Email: [email protected]
Ask Curtin
Ask Curtin is a university-wide FAQ
database containing extensive Student
Administration FAQs. There are two
separate versions of Ask Curtin; Ask
Curtin for Future Students & Visitors and
Ask Curtin for Current Curtin Students.
Ask Curtin for Current Curtin Students
has a range of FAQs relevant to the
current studies of Curtin students and
can only be accessed by Current Curtin
students through OASIS. A link to Ask
Curtin for Current Students is available
from the Important Links channel on the
Welcome tab.
Ask Curtin for Future Students & Visitors
is a public facing interface with FAQs
tailored to future students & visitors of
the University and is available from the
Future Students website.
Assessment Appeals
The Guild’s Student Assist Support
Service and the University Counselling
Service are also available for one-on-one
advice concerning appeals.
For non academic grievances/complaints
see Conflict Resolution on page 20.
Curtin University Bookshop
The Curtin University Bookshop stocks
a wide range of textbooks, stationery,
newspapers, magazines, novels, cards,
art materials, computer equipment and
much more.
Curtin student booklists are available
before the start of semester and can be
accessed from the computers on the
2nd floor via OASIS. Students can
access their book lists via the my studies
& eValuate tab in OASIS. Students can place
orders online and pay by credit card to
avoid queuing. Orders can be collected
from the Customer Service Counter on
the first floor, or posted for a fee.
Students can reserve books that are not
in stock at the Customer Service Counter
on the 2nd floor. A 20% non-refundable
deposit is required, and customers will
be notified when stock arrives. When
purchasing textbooks and course
material, students must present their
Student ID Card.
The Bookshop accepts cash, credit,
cheque, money order and EFTPOS.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 5pm
(open till 6pm for the first two weeks of
Semester One & first week of Semester
Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm
Location: John Curtin Centre,
Building 200
Tel: 9266 3469
Fax: 9266 3188
Ask Curtin / Curtin University / Assessment 12
The Student Guild operates a secondhand
Bookshop where students can
buy and sell used textbooks and other
study equipment including lab coats,
calculators and lecture pads.
Second-hand textbooks can be
purchased for a minimum of two
thirds of the cost of new books. The
second-hand Bookshop offers an online
database via their website, which allows
students to search for books. There is a
small commission charged to use their
services to sell books. This commission
is discounted for Guild members.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 10am – 4pm (open
till 5pm for the first two weeks of each
semester, and from 10.30am – 2pm
during non-teaching weeks)
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 2909
Email: [email protected]
Bookshop Grants
If you are struggling financially and need
assistance buying your text books, the
Guild provides a number of grants each
semester to students on low incomes.
Applications are open in the first few
weeks of semester, and are available at
the Guild. See Student Guild, page 70 for
contact details.
Building Numbers
All Curtin buildings are named and also
numbered. Specific rooms or locations
on campus are referred to by their
building number, level then room number.
For example, Building 402.310 is Curtin
Business School One – Building 402,
Level 3, Room 10.
Calendar and Handbook
The Curtin Calendar and Handbook is
available at It
contains the University’s rules and regulations
as well as course outlines. Students
should consult this publication for detailed
information about courses and units.
Curtin’s Kalgoorlie campus is located
in the heart of Western Australia’s
gold mining district, some 594km
east of Perth. The Kalgoorlie campus
offers a range of undergraduate and
postgraduate studies in mining through
the historic Western Australian School of
Location: 34 Cheetham Street,
Kalgoorlie WA 6433
Tel: 9088 6106
Fax: 9088 6100
Email: [email protected]
Assessment Appeals / Bookshop
The Margaret River Education campus,
located 300km South of Perth,
incorporates the Centre for Wine
Excellence, offering postgraduate
courses in viticulture and oenology.
Location: 272 Bussell Hwy,
Margaret River WA
Tel: 9780 5829
Fax: 9780 9395
Email: [email protected]
Curtin’s Sarawak campus is the
University’s first offshore campus, and
was established in 1999 in partnership
with the Sarawak Government.
Location: Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
Tel: +60 85 44 3939
Fax: +60 85 44 3838
mail: [email protected]
The Muresk Institute is located 96km
east of Perth near the town of Northam.
The campus operates a 1,720 hectare
commercial farm which is also used
for teaching, demonstrations, student
projects and staff research work.
Courses offered include Agribusiness
Marketing, Farm Management,
Agriculture and Equine Management.
Location: Off Spencers Brook Road,
Northam WA 6401
Tel: 9690 1576
Fax: 9690 1500
Email: [email protected]
The Graduate School of Business is
located in the heart of Perth’s Central
Business District. It offers a range of
graduate commerce courses including
the Master and Doctor of Business
Administration and the acclaimed Master
of Leadership and Management.
Location: 78 Murray Street, Perth 6000
Tel: 9266 3460
Fax: 9266 3368
Email: [email protected]
Curtin Sydney is the newest edition
to Curtin’s campuses. The campus
offers foundation, undergraduate and
postgraduate courses in various areas
of Commerce, including Accounting
and Management. All courses utilise the
same structure and content as Curtin
Business School courses offered at the
Bentley campus.
Location: Curtin House
39 Regent St, Chippendale,
Sydney NSW
Tel: 02 8399 7888
Fax: 02 8399 7899
Email: [email protected]
Career Voyage
Unsure of what you can do with your
degree? Want to change courses but not
sure what to change to? Why not come
to the Curtin Future Students Centre at
Bentley and try Career Voyage.
Careers Voyage / Cashiers / Census Dates
This computer program assesses your
likes and dislikes and then suggests up
to 40 potential careers that could be for
you! This is a free service and students
will receive a printed report. Allow at least
45 minutes to complete the questions.
Location: Curtin Future Students Centre,
Building 102
Tel: 9266 1000
Fax: 9266 3331
Email: [email protected]
All monies payable to the University
are generally received by the University
Cashiers. EFTPOS and credit card
facilities are available. The Cashiers will
only accept cash payments of less than
$200. Students are encouraged to pay
tuition fees by BPay, Post Billpay or at
an Australia Post outlet to avoid long
The University Cashier opening hours
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Location: Building 101, Level 2
Tel: 9266 2041
Census Dates
You will often hear the term ‘census date’
referred to in relation to enrolment. The
census date is the date by which you
must ensure your enrolment is correct.
From this date your final financial liability
is calculated and you are not permitted
to change your enrolment except for
withdrawing from a unit. If you withdraw
after this date you will incur the financial
liability and the unit will show on your
Academic Transcript with a grade of
‘WD’ (Withdrawn).
2009 census dates for semester one and
two are as follows:
• Semester One: 31 March 2009
• Semester Two: 31 August 2009
Census dates for all other study periods
(eg trimester, quarter, term) will be 14
days after commencement of class.
Please refer to
au/administration/dates/index.cfm for
current dates.
Centrelink is a government agency
delivering a range of Commonwealth
services to the Australian community.
There is a Centrelink branch on the
Bentley campus that students can go
to for Youth Allowance and Austudy
new claims and enquiries, as well as
Pensioner Education Supplements
and ABSTUDY enquiries.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8am – 5pm (including
semester breaks)
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 13 24 90
Dates / Centrelink / Careers Voyage
Changing Personal
Please ensure the University always has
your up-to-date contact (address/phone/
email) details, both for your semester
address and your permanent home
address. Addresses can be updated
via OASIS, however students who are
exempt (those students without the ability
or resources to access the internet) can
change their address at Student Central
by completing a Change of Address form,
or at a Faculty Student Services Office.
If you are a new international student, you
are required to provide your Australian
residential address to the University within
seven days of arrival. If you change your
address any time during your studies at
Curtin, it is a Department of Immigration
and Citizenship (DIAC) requirement that
you provide this new address to the
university within seven days of moving. If
returning home for the semester break,
you must ensure that your address is
changed to your preferred address before
departure. Upon returning to Perth you
must also returning ensure that your
address is updated to your Australian
address. As well as being a condition
of the student visa, maintaining current
contact address details on the university
system is vital for receiving tuition fee and
other important correspondence relating
to your studies and/or student visa.
Students leaving for a short period only
are advised to arrange for somebody to
collect mail on their behalf.
Changing Your Name
Requests to change your name can
be made by completing a Change of
Personal Details form and providing
original or certified copies of primary
documentation (eg passport, birth
certificate, marriage certificate).
Photocopies of certified copies are not
acceptable. Change of personal details
forms are available from Student Central,
Student Services Offices or can be
downloaded from www.students.curtin.
Childcare Centre
Curtin has a childcare centre on the
Bentley campus with places for over
100 children. The Centre has been
accredited by the National Childcare
Accreditation Council and meets the
highest standards. Catering for the 0-6
age group, the Centre has individually
tailored programs for each child. A
qualified chef caters for any dietary
needs. Cultural support workers ensure
that parents and children settle into
the Centre. The Centre has several fee
programs, which make it very affordable,
and meals are included. Early application
is recommended.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 7.30am – 6pm
Location: Chessell Road Bentley,
Building 003
Tel: 9266 7459
Fax: 9266 3742
Email: [email protected]
Changing Personal Details / Childcare Centre A
Clubs and Societies
There are more than 60 sporting,
academic and social clubs at Curtin,
with interests ranging from table tennis
to chemistry. Clubs and Societies are
responsible for running many student
events, activities, trips and functions
each semester, and collectively support
around 3000 Curtin students. Students
are actively supported by the Guild in
establishing new clubs and societies.
Students are encouraged to explore
Curtin’s clubs and societies at the
Guild. For an up-to-date list and more
information, contact the Student Guild
(see page 70).
Computer Access
Curtin provides open-access computer
facilities in the Abacus labs, which are
located on the ground floor of Buildings
303, 408 and 501. Together, these labs
can accommodate over 370 students.
You may use the computers in these labs
for doing assignments, handling email
and searching the Internet. Printing and
scanning facilities are also provided. To
gain access to the labs, you must swipe
your Curtin Student ID card. To log on
to the computers you must be currently
enrolled and have activated your OASIS
The Abacus labs are open 23 hours a
day, seven days a week all year round.
They are closed for cleaning between
5.30am to 6.30am daily. You must vacate
the labs during this period.
During semester, Abacus help desk staff
are available from
9am to 9pm on weekdays and from
1pm to 5pm on weekends.
The help desk staff can assist you with
the following:
• The OASIS student portal
• Using the Internet
• Printing and scanning
• Software such as Microsoft Office
• The WebCT learning management
• ICT resources for students
• For more information visit
Computer Help
Pc Champs
Personal Computing Coaching and Help
Aimed at Mature-Age Person. Basic
computer skills are essential for your
success at University. For example,
Curtin students need to check their
OASIS account every week, use the
internet for research and type their
assignments. For some students
computing skills can be difficult,
especially mature-age students who
have not had as much experience using
PC CHAMPS aims to bridge the gap for
Mature-Age and other students finding
themeselves in this situation.
PC CHAMPS matches the student with
Centre / Clubs and Societies
Computer Access / Conciliator / Computer
Computer Access / Conciliator / Computer Access C
volunteer mentors, who meet with the
student on a one-to-one basis until
they have the basic computing skill-set
required to progress in their course.
The day and time is flexible to fit in with
the mentor and your commitments.
The PC CHAMPS Program covers the
• Basic computer use, including
windows, using the mouse and the
• Browsing/Searching the Internet
• Sending Emails
• the Curtin Library website
• Microsoft Word
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft PowerPoint
If you need assistance with any of the
topics mentioned or have issues with
basic computer skills, PC CHAMPS can
Contact Helen Hesselberg
Building 102 Hayman Hall
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 9266 1233
Computers, Laptops,
Servicing and Advice
I.T. Works is a computer store owned
and operated by Curtin Student Guild.
If you require a new computer, notebook,
printer or computer accessories the
store will be able to help you out at very
competitive prices. If it is not in stock
then the staff will be able to order in
the stock with minimal delay. I.T. Works
also provides professional computer
and notebook servicing, at extremely
competitive pricing. Not sure what is
wrong or what you are looking for?…
then ask the staff – their advice is free.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 10am – 4pm (limited
hours of 10.30am – 2pm during
non-teaching weeks)
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 2924
Email: [email protected]
The WA Department of Education
Services has appointed Ms Anne Duncan
as the Conciliator for international
students. The Conciliator is available to
mediate in situations where a student
cannot resolve an issue between
themselves and the institution at which
they are studying. Students are advised
to try to resolve the matter directly with
their institution first, and if they are
still dissatisfied with the outcome, to
approach the Conciliator. Discussions
Conflict Resolution / Consuls / Copyright C
with the Conciliator can remain
confidential if the student wishes. This
service is provided free of charge by the
Government of Western Australia.
Note: The Conciliator works part-time
so students should phone to check
availability for appointments.
Location: Department of Education
Services, 22 Hasler Rd,
Osborne Park, WA
Tel: 9441 1953
Fax: 9441 1950
Email: [email protected]
Conflict Resolution
A grievance is any real or perceived
ground for complaint including (but
not limited to) bullying, harassment
and discrimination. Curtin provides
a conflict resolution process that is
based on the principles of transparency,
confidentiality, efficiency, accessibility and
no victimisation. The conflict resolution
process can be found in the Grievance
Resolution Policy and Protocol at
The Conflict Resolution Manager can
• Procedural advice regarding the
process of conflict resolution
• Advice about resolution techniques
• Facilitation and conciliation services
• Training and education
Contact: Andrea Mcleod – Manager,
Conflict Resolution
Location: Building 100, Level 3
Tel: 9266 7454
Email: [email protected]
Details of all foreign consulates in
Australia can be found at the Australian
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
website. The website lists the address,
contact numbers and office hours of the
Tel: 02 6261 2744 (Protocol and
Consular List Enquiries)
As a Curtin student you are subject to
the provisions of the Commonwealth
of Australia Copyright Act 1968 and
are obliged to abide by the University’s
policies and requirements on copyright.
Students who deliberately disregard
University policy and copyright
requirements will be liable to disciplinary
action under the Student Disciplinary
Statute and leave themselves open
to prosecution by individual copyright
Under copyright fair dealing provisions
students are permitted to copy for the
purpose of research or study, criticism or
review, but certain limits apply.
Copyright / Counselling Service / Conflict Resolution
For example:
• Books: you may copy 10% of the
pages or one chapter, whichever is
the greater.
• Periodicals/journals/newspapers:
you may copy one article in an issue
(you can copy more than one if the
articles in the issue relate to the
same subject).
• Artwork, television, radio broadcasts
and audio-visual material: specific
requirements and limits apply.
• You should normally only make a
single copy, for your own individual
Material (including music, film, and
unlicensed software) that does not
support the educational purposes of
the University cannot be downloaded,
copied or communicated using University
computer networks or equipment.
Copying of software and pre-purchased
or rented videos or DVDs is NOT
permitted except with the express
permission of the copyright owner.
Further information
Additional information on copyright for
students can be found at:
Curtin’s copyright procedures in full are
available at:
A handy guide to “Copyright Do’s and
Don’ts” for students can be found at http://
Any queries or concerns related to
copyright should be directed to the
University’s Copyright and Compliance
Officer on (08) 9266 7494.
Council for International
Students of Western
Australia (CISWA)
The Council for International Students
of Western Australia (CISWA) is an
independent, voluntary, non-profit
organisation that offers support and
advocacy to international students. The
Council consists of people from: the
Education Sector, Australian voluntary
organisations, student representatives
from international student organisations
and other groups interested in the well
being of overseas students.
Students can register for various trips
organised by CISWA each semester.
More information can be obtained from
Building 102.
Location: Australia Asia Association
Building, 275 Stirling Street,
Perth WA 6000
Tel: (08) 9227 7660
Fax: (08) 9227 7663
Email: [email protected]
Counselling Service
The University Counselling Service is free,
confidential and available to the entire
Curtin community. Psychologists, social
workers, an occupational therapist and
a Multi-Faith Officer staff the service.
Counsellors can assist with academic
matters, study and learning strategies,
career and course changes, cross
cultural issues and any personal issues
and/or crises.
The Disability Counsellor is the primary
contact for advice and assistance to staff
and students with disabilities. For more
information see Disability Services on
page 26.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 8am – 6pm
Friday, 8am – 5pm
Location: Building 109
Tel: 9266 7850 (country callers
1800 651 878) (TTY 9266 4112)
Fax: 9266 3052
Note: Counselling is available on all Curtin
campuses. For more information see your
campus website or contact
[email protected]
Course Changing
Wanting to switch courses is not
uncommon, particularly in your first year.
The University has a process to follow if
you do want to switch.
All first year students considering
switching should get in touch with:
• The First Year Experience Coordinator
at [email protected]
au or telephone 9266 4761. All other
students should contact careers or
• The University Counselling Service,
telephone 9266 7850 to make an
Further information and forms for
course switching can be found at http://
International students intending to
change their course must contact the
International Office to complete an
International Application for Admission
form. Once this form is submitted and
the school approves the application, the
International Office will issue a new Letter
of Offer. As soon as tuition fees for the
new course are paid, and the student
has accepted the offer by signing and
submitting the Acceptance of Offer form,
the International Office will then issue a
new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for
the purpose of visa issue.
Note: Sponsored students must submit an
updated ‘Sponsored Student Information
Form’ completed by their sponsoring
organisation, authorising the change of
course before a new Letter of Offer can be
Counselling Service / Course Changing
Course Completion
You will receive a complementary Letter
of Course Completion and Notification of
Graduation once you have passed all the
requirements of your degree. This letter
is particularly useful for your resume and
other educational providers. Additional
copies can be requested at Student
Central for a small fee.
Courtesy Bus - Bentley
The University operates a shuttle bus
service during the evenings that collects
students from designated points
around campus and transports them
to University car parks and on-campus
accommodation. Students who attend
classes in the evenings are encouraged
to use this service.
The bus service operates during
Semester only:
DAY bus
Monday to Friday, 8am – 11pm
Night bus
Monday to Thursday, 5pm – 1.45am
(every hour)
Friday, 5pm – 11.45pm (every hour)
Timetables are available online via the
properties website at
The bus service does not operate on
weekends, however Curtin Security
Officers can assist with night escorts
from Curtin buildings and computer
labs back to car parks and on-campus
Curtin Careers Service
Increasingly, employers are looking for
graduates with more than just great
marks. They want someone who is
passionate and enthusiastic about their
chosen industry, a graduate who can
think creatively and use their initiative
to solve problems. Employers want an
individual who can demonstrate they
have a genuine desire to contribute to
their business and the community as a
whole. Just completing your degree won’t
guarantee you the job of your choice!
The Careers Service provides a range
of services designed to build your
professional and personal skill base
throughout your studies and to assist with
your career planning process.
We can organise to speak to you by
phone, or we can be in contact by email.
If you are in Perth we can also organise
one-to-one appointments for you.
Services include:
• Free career clinics
• Employer visits to the Bentley
campus throughout semester
• Access to careers resources, both
print and online
• Your exclusive web-based Job
/ Courtesy Bus - Bentley
Board, detailing hundreds of positions
available for current students and
• Advice on career direction, job
opportunities and labour market
• A comprehensive Job Application
Checking Service, including resumes,
cover letters and selection criteria
• Advice on work experience,
internships, and volunteering: building
skills to give you an advantage in the
job market.
• In addition Curtin conducts a major
Careers Fair in April and a number of
targeted Career Fairs throughout the
year including:
–– WASM Kalgoorlie (Mining)
–– Muresk (Agricultural education)
–– Graduate School of Business
–– Global Opportunities
(International opportunities)
–– Faculty Specific (eg Nursing /
–– Expos (eg Small Business,
Local Govt.)
It is never too early or too late to start
thinking seriously about your career. The
Careers Service can offer support and
advice at any stage. Take the time early
in your studies to explore the website and think
seriously about where you would like
your university degree to take you.
For further information contact :
Tel: 9266 7802
Fax: 9266 3847
Email: [email protected]
Curtin Connect
Curtin Connect supports students,
in particular international students, in
their transition to university life at Curtin
and Australia. Curtin Connect provides
a range of services to help students
participate in activities to enhance their
learning and social experiences.
These include:
• The Personal Development Project
• The e-Mate (email buddy) Program
• A guide to living in Perth for
International Students
• Conversational English Language
Location: Building 102, Hayman Hall
Tel: 9266 1055
Fax: 9266 3847
Email: [email protected]
Curtin University
Postgraduate Students
Association (CUP SA)
The Curtin University Postgraduate
Students Association (CUPSA) is run
by the Guild and is the only officially
recognised university body representing
Curtin University Postgraduate Students Association
postgraduate students at Curtin. CUPSA
is run for and by postgraduate students.
Elected CUPSA committee members
provide postgraduate representation on
University and Guild committees and
provide links to the national Council of
Australian Postgraduate Association
CUPSA provides services including:
• Grievances/complaints resolution
• Digital camera hire
• Peer to peer support program
• Seminars
• Newsletter
• Grants
• Conference Support Grants
• Social events
CUPSA contact details
Tel: 9266 4911
Fax: 9266 2996 (Attn: CUPSA)
Email: [email protected]
Curtin Volunteers!
Curtin Volunteers! is Australia’s first
and largest student run volunteering
organisation and has been operating
out of Curtin University since 1995.
Through CV!, volunteers can participate
in a range of regular programmes in
areas including youth work, working
with people with disabilities, people from
other cultures or working to improve our
environment. Each of the opportunities
offered are tailored to provide an
experience promoting professional
growth, in developing new skills that
can be transferred to the workplace,
and personal growth, in providing a
social outlet and allowing networking
opportunities. CV!’s largest project for
the year is John Curtin Weekend, run
over several weekends in September and
October. This weekend involves upwards
of 400 volunteers travelling to 32 rural
sites to enjoy a weekend of volunteering
and have some fun along the way. Our
Laverton project is another significant
undertaking and gives volunteers a
glimpse of the various cross-cultural
issues relating to white and indigenous
culture that exist today.
For more information or to get involved
Location: Building 599
Tel: 9266 3954
Email: [email protected]
Association (CUPSA) / Department of
Department of
Immigration and
Citizenship (DIAC)
As an international student, you are
responsible for ensuring your visa is
current and visa conditions are met.
You should make an appointment with
the Department of Immigration and
Citizenship (DIAC) when renewing your
student visa. Visit the DIAC website for
more information on visa conditions and
other important information relating to
student visas. (See also Visa Renewals).
Opening Hours :
Mon, Tue, Thur & Fri: 9am – 4pm
Wed: 9am – 1pm
Location: City Central, 411 Wellington St,
Perth, WA
Genera l Enquiries & Appointments :
131 881
Australian Citizenship Enquiries: 131 880
Translating & Interpreting Services:
131 450
Online Visas:
Disability Services
If you have a medical condition or
disability that impacts on your studies or
any other aspect of university life, you can
contact a Disability Counsellor to discuss
your needs.
Disability Counsellors offer general
assistance with study needs, specific
learning accommodations including
note takers and interpreters, alternative
format materials (eg audio tapes, Braille
documents), assistance with parking
and physical access and access to
library support services. You will also
receive a newsletter each semester if you
have indicated on enrolment or through
e-student that you would like information
on disability services.
The Disability Counsellor can also
make alternative exam arrangements
to cater for individual needs. Students
will need to provide supporting medical
documentation. Arrangements need to be
made well in advance of your exam date.
For more information contact the University
Counselling Service (see page 22).
Distance Education
Distance Education, also known
as Flexible Delivery, was originally
intended to cater for students who were
geographically remote from university
campuses. Many Distance Education
students are now from urban areas,
choosing this off-campus mode of
study because it suits their employment
situation or family commitments.
Distance Education (Flexible Delivery)
allows students to study in their own time
without the structure of having to attend
classes. However, to succeed, students
need to be self-directed well organised
and comfortable with technology.
Distance Education (Flexible Delivery)
is available to any student who is
enrolled in a Curtin course that offers
units in flexible mode. This mode of
study is predominately for students who
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
are Australian Citizens or Permanent
Residents and is only available to
international students under certain
circumstances. Students can enrol in a
combination of on-campus and flexible
delivery units provided they obtain
approval from their Department or
school. For more information, visit
The Distance Education (Flexible Delivery)
Office also administers Curtin’s Open
Universities Australia Courses and can
help you with any queries you may have,
Curtin recognises, respects and values
the diversity of its students, staff and
the Curtin community. The University’s
Diversity policy and supporting
procedures outline its commitment to
valuing diversity and cultural sensitivity
in teaching and all other areas of the
University’s operation. It recognises and
builds on the many different cultures that
make up the Curtin community. For more
information visit the Ethics, Equity and
Social Justice website.
See Health services page 43.
Students should be aware that the use,
supply or possession of drugs is illegal
in Australia. Heavy penalties apply for
drug offences. International students
should be aware of their own country’s
laws regarding drugs and not carry any
drugs either in to or out of Australia. For
more information, and/or confidential
counselling, contact The Alcohol and
Drug Information Service.
Tel: 9442 5000 (country callers
1800 198 024)
Fax: 9442 5020
Email: [email protected]
University Counselling Services (08 9266
7850 or 1800 651 878)
Health Service: 9266 7345
EduSafe is the department that oversees
safety and health issues for students,
staff, visitors and contractors at Curtin
under the provisions of the Occupational
Safety and Health Act WA 1984. This
Act places responsibility on everyone in
the workplace, and as a student of the
University you must take all reasonable
care to ensure your safety and to not
adversely affect the safety of those
around you.
To help you in meeting your
responsibilities as a student, EduSafe
provides a website that contains the
necessary links for reporting incidents
and hazards, a list of safety and health
representatives (who can provide advice
and support), and a large range of
health and safety information including
emergency evacuation procedures,
policies and procedures, we also have
minimum standards and guidelines.
Citizenship (DIAC) / Disability Services / Drugs /
If you are involved in an incident while on
campus or on a fieldtrip, or spot a hazard
on campus, you must immediately report
it to your lecturer/tutor verbally and then
via the online reporting system, which
can be found at
online. Enter your lecturer/tutor’s details
as the Supervisor/Manager.
Please note in the event of an emergency
you must call 9266 4444 immediately or
dial ‘5’ from an on-campus internal Curtin
Tel: 9266 4900
Email: [email protected]
Email Access
Your student email account is accessed
via OASIS (
To access your email, click on the Email
Inbox link in the My Email channel on
your OASIS Welcome tab.
Your email account is for your own
personal use, and is often used by tutors
and lecturers to contact students, or for
your Faculty to send information that may
be of interest to you. When emailing the
university, it is strongly recommended
that you use your student email account,
as some areas of the university will not
communicate with a non-Curtin email
address for privacy and security reasons.
Undergraduate students receive a
20MB email quota, and postgraduate
students receive 50MB. Where it can be
demonstrated that you fulfill your course
requirements and you require a greater
quota, increases can be requested.
For career information and services see
Curtin Careers Service on page 23.
Guild Employment Service
The Curtin Student Guild Student
Employment Service is back and better
than ever. Take a look at the huge
range of casual, part-time, volunteer
and work experience vacancies at the
Guild Reception on the job board. As
this fantastic FREE service for Full Guild
members gains exposure, more local
businesses are interested in hiring Curtin
students. Make sure you have a look
every week to check our all the new jobs
that are flooding in.
When you find a job you are interested
in come to Reception show your current
Guild membership sticker and quote the
job number and we will hand over all
the application details so that you can
contact the employer. It’s that easy!
For more information contact the Student
Guild (see page 70).
Employment for
International Students
Once international students have
commenced classes, they may
apply for permission to work through
the Department of Immigration and
Citizenship (DIAC) at a cost of A$60. You
can lodge an application for Permission
to Work via the Internet if you have a
credit card. Before applying online, notify
Student Central that you wish to apply
Email Access / Employment / English Language
for permission to work. The International
Student Visa Officer will then advise DIAC
that you have commenced studies.
Note: If your visa was granted after 26th
April 2008 you will have the right to work
in Australia.
If you do not wish to apply online, you
must lodge Form 157P in person at the
DIAC Office or by mail. Prior to lodging
the form, a Customer Service Officer in
Student Central must sign the form to
verify that you have commenced studies.
Please note that DIAC does not accept
cash, however payments can be made
by EFTPOS, bank cheque or credit card.
A working visa allows you to work up to
20 hours per week during semester and
full-time during semester breaks. Often
students obtain work in restaurants and
retail outlets, although competition for
work is strong. Students are advised that
part-time employment may distract them
from their studies and that they should
not rely on part-time work to pay for their
tuition fees or living expenses.
Scholarship or sponsored students
should seek permission from their
sponsoring authority before seeking
casual or part-time work.
For more information about permission to
work, please contact DIAC (see page 26).
English Language
Credit-bearing units (25 credits) are available
at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
for students whose first language is not
English who wish to further develop their
English language and academic research
and study skills.
To participate in one of these units
contact :
Ilan Zagoria – Undergraduate
Tel: 9266 4251
Fax: 9266 2547
Email: [email protected]
Joyce Bell – Postgraduate Co-ordinator
Tel: 9266 4470
Fax: 9266 3166
Email: [email protected]
(see page 78)
Speakers’ Corner is an informal
organisation of students and staff
across Curtin who meet up for language
exchange in English and other languages.
Set up to create both a real-world and
virtual language community, Speakers’
Corner is free of charge.
For more information contact
Julienne Patience
Tel: 9266 4228
Email: [email protected]
English Conversation Classes for
International Students
Speak Up aims to help:
• English fluency
• Confidence to initiate conversations
• Practical tips to improve
communication skills
Language Support / Employment
• Overcome fear of public speaking
• Understanding of Australian English
• Converse with Aussie students
• Enhance your Australian student
Speak Up is:
• Non-academic, informal, practical
and fun!
• Commences in Week three of the
• Held on Wednesdays from
12pm – 2pm in teaching weeks
• $120 for 10 weeks
Register your interest by :
• Email: [email protected]
• Come to Building 102
• Call Helen on 9266 1233
The Learning Centre
See page 9.
CBS Communications Skills
See page 8.
New Stu dents
All students who are Australian Citizens/
Permanent Residents should have
completed these forms:
• Application for Admission Form (or
TISC Application)
• Enrolment Form
• Request for Commonwealth
Support and HECS-HELP Form
(undergraduate domestic students):
Australian Citizens need to provide
a tax file number by the census date
if selecting the ‘deferred’ or ‘partial
up-front’ option
• Request for FEE-HELP Assistance
Form (postgraduate domestic
Enrolment sessions for international
students are conducted during Prep
Students are required to bring their:
• Letter of Offer
• Proof of having paid tuition fees and
Overseas Student Health Cover
• Passport
• Certified transcripts for Recognition of
Prior Learning credits, if applicable
To enrol in a course of study, students
must complete an Enrolment/Change
of Enrolment form. This is signed by
the Head of School and lodged for
processing at the relevant Faculty
Student Services Office. All new
international students must enrol during
Prep Week in order to start their studies.
Any student not enrolled before classes
start will be required to defer entry to the
next intake for their course of study and
should contact the International Office
immediately (see page 44).
If you have completed a semester of
study and are continuing in the same
course at Curtin, you are considered to
be a re-enrolling student. Your Faculty
Enrolments / Enrolments Variation / Confirmation
Office will advise via OCC when online
re-enrolment and class registration
has opened for your Course. If online
re-enrolment and/or class registration
is not available you will be advised of
the procedure to follow for a manual
re-enrolment and class registration.
Students are required to enrol for both
semesters. It is your responsibility to
ensure that forms are lodged to the
relevant Faculty Student Services Office
before the deadline – usually midDecember.
You will receive confirmation of enrolment
when you initially enrol. This confirmation
will be either with an Enrolment Advice
that shows your current enrolment or
an Enrolment Transaction Advice, which
shows not only your current enrolment
but also the changes you have requested.
An Enrolment Advice shows your name,
contact address and the title of your
course. It is vital that every detail is
checked for accuracy. Any errors or
omissions should be reported to Student
Central or the relevant Faculty Student
Services Office as soon as possible.
You can also view your enrolment and
print an eEnrolment Advice via your OASIS
login. At the beginning of each year,
students are required to enrol for units in
BOTH semesters (unless completing and
graduating at the end of semester one).
Cross-institutional studies are when a
Curtin student undertakes to study a
unit/s from another Australian university
or vice-versa, and where the student’s
School has agreed to give credit for the
work undertaken. Cross-institutional
enrolment is only permitted after
satisfactory performance in the first
year of study. For information relating to
cross-institutional enrolments, contact
Student Central or telephone 9266 3399.
Undergraduate students who are
Australian citizens undertaking cross institutional
studies are eligible for
HECS-HELP. Students will need to
complete a Commonwealth Assistance
(HECS-HELP) form with their enrolment
Postgraduate students who are
Australian citizens undertaking cross institutional
studies are eligible for FEEHELP.
Students will need to complete a
Commonwealth Assistance (FEE-HELP)
form with their enrolment application
Permanent residents and international
students must pay their fees upfront and
no discount is available.
Enrolment Variation
If you wish to withdraw from a unit, or
add another unit to your enrolment, you
may do so by lodging an Enrolment/
Change of Enrolment form. These forms
are available from Student Central,
Faculty Student Services Offices and can
also be downloaded from www.students.
htm l. All forms must be lodged with the
relevant Faculty Student Services Office.
Confirmation of Enrolment
Unit additions / Unit withdrawals / Special E
For units held in Semester One, an
Enrolment/Change of Enrolment form
must be submitted by 27th February.
For units held in Semester Two, forms
must be submitted by 1 August. When
adding a unit, payment must be made at
the time of variation. There is an earlier
deadline for units studied externally.
Note: The Head of School or Course
Co-ordinator must approve applications to
add units before the enrolment variations
can be processed.
Withdrawal from a Semester One unit(s)
must be lodged by 31 March to ensure
that the unit(s) will not show on your
Academic Transcript and that you will not
be liable for unit fees. The corresponding
date for Semester Two is 31 August.
Withdrawal from units is permitted until 9
May for Semester One and 10 October
for Semester Two, however the unit(s)
will be recorded on your Academic
Transcript as ‘WD’ (Withdrawn) and you
will be liable for unit fees. If you need to
withdraw after this time see Special Late
Withdraw below.
International students can find more
information about fee liability on the
International Student Refund Agreement
After the period mentioned above and
up until the last day before exams,
withdrawal from units is only
possible upon successful completion of a
“Special Late Withdrawal Application Form”.
Special late withdrawals are assessed
based on you having experienced
special circumstances.
Student who need advice and assistance
when seeking to apply for a special late
withdrawal, can speak to a Student
Assist Support Officer in the Student
Guild page 70.
Failure to complete study requirements is
not considered sufficient grounds for this
type of withdrawal. The Head of School
may support a Special Late Withdrawal
application only after establishing that a
deferred assessment is not appropriate.
Special Late Withdrawal Application
forms are available from Student
Central, Faculty Student Services Offices
and via
administration/forms.html. These forms
should be completed, signed and
submitted to your Head of School with
supporting documentation attached. If
your application is successful you will
still be liable for any fees incurred for
the unit(s) and ‘WD’ (Withdrawn) will be
recorded on your Academic Transcript.
Note: If you withdraw from all units in
your first year of study, you may not
be entitled to retain your place in that
course. Withdrawing from units will reduce
your load and, if applicable, may affect
eligibility for Youth Allowance, Austudy or
ABSTUDY and have visa and sponsorship
implications for international students.
Special late Withdrawals / Approval to Study Less
All international students wishing to
enrol in less than 100 credits must seek
approval from their Course Co-ordinator
and the Manager of their Faculty Student
Services Office. Approval is given where
students are in their final semester of
study, or where there are extenuating
circumstances that prevent a student
from studying 100 credits per semester.
All international students wishing to enrol
in less than 100 credits must complete
the Request to Enrol in Less Than 100
Credits in the Current Semester form.
The form must provide an explanation of
the circumstances and must be signed
by the Course Co-ordinator. Forms must
be lodged prior to the census date of the
relevant semester at Student Central.
All students will be notified of the
outcome in writing – only then is a
student permitted to have a study load of
less than 100 credits.
Note: Some courses have been approved
for international student enrolment on a 75
credit point per semester basis. The above
information does not apply to students
enrolled in these courses.
Equal Opportunity
The University recognises the right of
individuals to be free from discrimination
and harassment while engaged in
activities undertaken as part of their
enrolment as a student of the University.
Discrimination means denial of
opportunities on grounds of sex, marital
status, pregnancy, potential pregnancy,
breast feeding, sexual orientation,
gender history, race, nationality, colour
or ethnic origin, age, religious or political
conviction, impairment or disability, family
responsibility or family status.
Harassment consists of unwelcome,
offensive, abusive, belittling, bullying or
threatening behaviour directed at another
person. It is usually based on some real
or perceived difference such as sex,
race or disability and which may lead to
the person harassed being offended,
humiliated, intimidated or disadvantaged.
In the unfortunate circumstance where
students believe discrimination or
harassment has occurred, Curtin has
provision for the resolution of grievances.
For more information visit
The University will take all reasonable
steps to ensure that students are able
to study in an environment free from
discrimination and harassment. For more
information visit the Ethics, Equity and
Social Justice website.
eStudent gives you online access to your
official student record. It is available via
the My Studies & eVALUate tab inside
eStudent provides access to your
contact details, enrolment, study plan
information and your complete result
history. In eStudent you can also
update your address, phone number
and other personal details. For many
courses, eStudent is also used for online
enrolment and class registration.
eStudent gives you access to your official
student record at Curtin, and is generally
where you accept or defer your offer
(not relevant for international students).
In eStudent you can also update your
personal details, manage your enrolment
and view a variety of other information
relevant to your academic progress.
Access to eStudent is via OASIS.
Every year the Guild delivers an array
of exciting events with a widespread
appeal. Listed here are some of the
bigger annual happenings but keep
checking Grok, posters around the
campus and the Guild website for
information on other events being
organised during the year. To avoid
disappointment, always make sure
you get your tickets on time. For major
events such as Beach Bash, Evening of
Elegance Ball, and Oktoberfest – tickets
can be purchased from The Spot.
eStudent / Events / Examinations / Deferred
Semester One
O-Week Monday 16 February
Friday 20 February
O-Day Wednesday 18 February
Beach Bash Friday 6 March
Clubs Day
Wednesday 11 March
G Games Wednesday 1 April
Beer Appreciation Night
Wednesday 6 May
Curtin DJ Competition Friday 15 May
End of Semester Tav Bash Friday 29 May
Semester Two
Guild Day Wednesday 29 July
Blues & Roots Friday 31July
National Campus Bands
Wednesday 12 and 19 August
Guild Ball Friday 21 August
Curtin’s Got Talent
Friday 11 and 18 September
Oktoberfest Friday 9 October
End of Semester Tav Bash Friday
30 October.
A draft timetable for centrally scheduled
examinations is published on the Curtin
website six weeks prior to the start of the
examinations period. A final timetable is
published four weeks prior to the start
of examinations, with venues and room
Students must attend the venue that they
have been assigned to via the surname
allocation in the final examination timetable.
The University has provisions for students
with disabilities and other medical
conditions to sit their examination
in a more appropriate environment.
Enquiries should be directed to University
Counselling Services at least four weeks
prior to the commencement of the
examination period.
Examinations may be scheduled on any
day over the examinations fortnight,
so students must not commit to other
activities over this period. Examination
timetables will be displayed on the
Student Central notice board at the front
of Building 101. Timetables will also be
available via OASIS and via a ‘Quick Link’
on the Curtin website.
Note: Examination timetable information
cannot be given over the phone, however
any other queries about examinations may
be directed to the Examinations Office.
Students who have more than two
examinations scheduled on one
calendar day or two examinations at
the same time can arrange to have
one of the examinations rescheduled.
To do this, students should complete
an Examination Timetable Clash form
available from Student Central or via
All students are required to produce their
Curtin Student ID card in examinations
and can only bring in materials approved
by the unit controller or lecturer.
Deferred assessment (a “DA” interim
result) is the formal approval by a Board
of Examiners for a student to complete
Deferred & Supplementary Examinations
an outstanding assessment task for a
unit at a later date.
Outstanding assessment tasks can
include an examination or assignment or
other work.
Supplementary Assessment
Supplementary Assessment (an “X”
interim result) is the formal approval by
a Board of Examiners for a student to
undertake an additional assessment task
in order to provide an opportunity for the
student to pass the unit.
The additional assessment task could be
an examination or assignment or other
Approval for Supplementary Assessment
should only be given where the Board
of Examiners believe that taking into
account a student’s academic record
and personal circumstances, that
providing the student with a second
chance to pass the unit is warranted.
Circumstances that may warrant
approval of deferred and supplementary
assessment include, but are not limited to:
• Student injury, illness or medical
• Family issues (for example, family
injury or illness, bereavement etc)
• Commitments to participate in elite
sport or other activities that warrant
favourable consideration
• Commitments to assist with
community service activities (for
example, bushfire protection)
• Unavoidable and unexpected
work commitments (for example,
Students must be advised not to make
any other arrangements during the
supplementary/deferred assessment
period which would prevent them from
completing an assessment
A student who commits to other
arrangements that prevent him or her
from completing an assessment is
not entitled to another opportunity to
complete the assessment and will forfeit
the right to the assessment.
In all cases, however, the personal
circumstances of the student will be
taken into account. Where the student
can demonstrate that the reasons he or
she was not available were beyond his
or her control, sympathetic consideration
may be given to allowing the student
to complete the assessment at another
External Stu dents
External students who live within the
metropolitan area are required to attend
the centrally scheduled examinations on
the Bentley campus. External students
living outside the metropolitan area will
be required to attend one of Curtin’s
recognised examination centres or, in
certain circumstances, may nominate a
suitable supervisor and venue.
Supplementary Assessment / Extension
Information regarding end of semester
examinations will be sent to students
during April for Semester One and
September for Semester Two. If you have
not received a letter advising you of your
centrally scheduled examinations by the
end of April or the end of September,
please contact the Examinations Office.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm
Location: Building 101, Level 2
Tel: 9266 7016
Fax: 9266 4108
Email: [email protected]
Extension Studies
Extension units are offered as individual
units within a non-award program and
do not normally lead to a recognised
qualification. Extension studies do not
guarantee a future place in a university
award course. Units can be taken
internally and externally depending on
The University provides extension studies
as a community service primarily for
Australian residents. Students enrolled
in a “not for degree” program should
pay their tuition fees on the day they are
enrolled. Failure to do so may lead to
enrolment cancellation.
International students must maintain
a full-time internal enrolment load at
all times. Enrolment of an international
student into extension units will only be
considered under special/exceptional
circumstances and with the approval of
the Director, Student Services.
Students are not required to meet
normal university entry requirements to
undertake extension units. However,
acceptance of an Extension Study
Registration is dependent on approval by
the School conducting the unit.
An individual enrolled in extension units
will have no right to continue study
beyond the period for which initial
enrolment is approved.
Note: Australian students are not entitled to
student welfare payments (such as Youth
Allowance, ABSTUDY or Austudy) while
undertaking extension studies.
External Studies
External Studies
There are a number of units available via
Distance Education and Open Learning
that allow students to enrol in external
mode. Students who are enrolled
via Distance Education will receive a
Distance Education Handbook, which
contains relevant information about
matters relating to external enrolment.
Note: External study is now available
for international students in some
circumstances. Students should contact
their course co-ordinator or their
International Student Advisor for more
Studies / External Studies /
Flexible Learning Environment For Curtin F
A list of external units is available at the
Distance Education website at
For more information contact the
Distance Education Office (see page 26)
Fax Facilities
On-campus: Guild Copy Centre:
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Off-campus: All post offices
Some news agencies & pharmacies.
Financial Assistance
Students who require a general listing
of the various organisations that may
be able to provide financial advice or
support can visit the Curtin University
Financial Help webpage at
index.cfm. Students who experience
emergencies of a financial nature can
approach the various areas support
such as the START team, University
Counselling Services or Student Central
to explore the various avenues of help
that may be available.
First Year Experience
Curtin has a First Year Experience/
Transition Co-ordinator. The Co-ordinator
is available for one-to-one confidential
chats about any issues facing new
university students. The Co-ordinator
has an extensive network of referral
services and resources, so get in touch
if you need help of any sort including
course switching. All new students will
receive information from the Co-ordinator
regularly during their first semester via
e-newsletters – check your student email
Confidential, one-to-one appointments for
first year students are available for:
Help with course • switching and
• Support for transition issues such as
homesickness and loneliness.
• Information on orientation, transition
activities and programs.
• Support and information for personal,
welfare and low-income issues.
• Support for conditional and
terminated academic status.
• Any other issues that may affect your
success at University.
Location Building 102
Tel: 9266 4761
Email: [email protected]|
Fitness Centre
Please see Sport and Recreation
page 67.
Flexible Learning
Environment For Curtin
Students (FLECS)
The flexible learning environment at Curtin
(FLECS) delivers units through a learning
Curtin Students (FLECS) / Food Outlets
management system called Blackboard.
The system provides Internet access
from anywhere in the world to a range of
facilities provided by the lecturer in the
online unit.
These may include some or all of the
• Course content: access to resources
such as the unit outlines, lecture
notes and materials
• Communication tools: discussion
forums, unit calendars and email
between class members
• Assessment: quizzes, surveys and
online distribution and submission of
• Internet resources: links to relevant
websites around the world
• Streaming media: links to Curtin’s
iLectures video streaming system.
The structure of the unit will depend on
the individual lecturer, requirements of
the unit and mode of study. Check with
your tutor, lecturer or unit co-ordinator for
further information.
To access, FLECS log on to OASIS and
click on the ‘My Studies’ tab where you
will find a link to FLECS.
Food Outlets
A range of healthy and hearty meals
is available alongside the ever-popular
foccacias, home made soup and coffee
by the mug to help you through the day.
Look out for the home-made specials like
Jenny’s Chicken Pie.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 8am – 8pm
Friday, 8am – 6pm
Saturday & Sunday, 11am – 3pm
Limited trading during semester breaks
Location: Robertson Library,
Building 105, Ground Floor
Tel: 9266 7161
Although all Guild catering outlets offer
healthy food alternatives, the Veggie
Patch located in the Elizabeth Jolly
Building is the place to go if you want a
great selection of fresh salads, pastas,
sushi and vegetarian meals. Now offering
a delicious range of gluten free and vegan
meals! Stop in for a coffee on your way
to class.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 7.30am – 3.30pm
Friday, 7.30am – 3pm
Semester breaks, 9am – 2pm
Location: Elizabeth Jolley, Building 210
Tel: 9266 7447
With its funky tunes, friendly staff and
vibrant colours, Angazi is the perfect
place to meet up for a coffee and a bite.
Chef Tracey prepares scrumptious café
style dishes daily. With an ever changing
array of sweet treats, you are always sure
to find something delectable to satisfy
those taste buds!
Café Concept / George’s Kebabs / Kirribilli
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 7.30am – 8pm
Friday, 7.30am – 6pm
Semester breaks, 7.30am – 4pm
Location: Building 408
Tel: 9266 1177
Late for class and in a hurry? Need
something fast? Stop at Café Concept
for a coffee or a delicious fruit smoothie.
While you’re there browse through the
range of new and second hand CDs as
well as the huge range of Curtin Student
Guild merchandise.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 7.30am – 4pm
Semester breaks, 8am – 2pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 4495
George’s has the best chips on campus
and offers a variety of tasty kebabs and
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9.30am – 6pm
Semester breaks, 9.30am – 2.30pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 4110
If you are looking for something a little
more upmarket, visit Kirribilli Café. This
award-winning café offers
five-star, modern, Australian cuisine in
a sophisticated setting. Kirribilli is also
offering some tasty take away options,
so pop in and check out what’s on the
menu. Kirribilli is open for breakfast and
lunch, and is also available for formal
Opening Hours (during teaching
Monday to Thursday, 7.30am – 4.30pm
Friday, 7.30am – 4pm
Location: John Curtin Building 200
Tel: 9266 4244
The Main Cafeteria offers food from
around the globe to suit all tastes and
diets. Choose from a selection of freshly
prepared hot dishes and salads or MYO
sandwich with fresh bread baked in the
in-house bakery. Wallet-friendly “meal
deals” are also on offer every day of the
week during semester.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4pm
Limited trading during semester breaks
Location: Building 104, near STA Travel
Tel: 9266 7023
Simply Delicious offers deli-style
sandwiches and hot foods as well as
an assortment of fresh fruit, snacks and
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 7am – 5pm
Semester breaks, 7am – 3pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9451 1170
Kirribilli Café / Main Cafeteria / Simply Delicious
The Tavern Bistro offers hearty, pub style
meals in a casual setting for those
patrons who have time to sit down,
relax and enjoy the social atmosphere. A
range of delicious cakes, muffins and hot
beverages are also available for morning
or afternoon tea.
Opening Hours (Bar ):
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday,
10am – 7pm
Wednesday, 10am – 12 midnight
Opening Hours (Bistro ):
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday,
10.30am – 7pm
Wednesday, 10.30am – 9pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 7491
If you are in a rush and want something
a bit “naughtier” than what’s on offer
at The Vege Patch, this is where you
need to head. The Basement Café has
a range of Western dishes prepared
using authentic Halal food preparation
practices. All suppliers hold relevant Halal
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 3.30pm
Friday, 8.30am – 3pm
Semester breaks, 9am – 2.30pm
Location: Engineering, Building 204
Tel: 9266 7558
Even though you may have completed
your course, graduation is not always
automatic: a formal application is
encouraged. Please submit an Intention
to Graduate form to your School by the
due date: 15 June for Semester One
and 15 November for Semester Two.
Once your application is assessed and
approved, information on your graduation
ceremony will be forwarded to you in
Students can attend graduation
ceremonies in Perth, which are usually
held in February and October/November
every year.
Students are also offered the choice
of participating in overseas graduation
ceremonies where available. Ceremonies
are usually held in Singapore and Hong
Kong in October/November each year,
and in Sarawak in April/May each year.
Ceremonies are also held in April/
May at the Sydney Campus and at
the Kalgoorlie Campus for Western
Australian School of Mines and Centre
for Regional Education graduates.
Alternatively, students can request for
their Award Certificate to be mailed. If
students choose this option, they are not
eligible to attend a graduation ceremony.
Students with sanctions relating to unpaid
fees or fines cannot attend a graduation
ceremony or receive their Award
Certificate until the sanction is cleared.
For more information see Sanctions on
page 63.
Graduation / Hair Salon / Health Services
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 9am – 4.30pm
Friday, 9am – 3.30pm
Location: Graduations Office,
Building 101, Level 1
Tel: + 618 9266 7115
Fax: + 618 9266 3279
Email: [email protected]
See Student Guild page 70.
Hair Salon
Fringe Benefits is a fresh, cutting-edge,
style-driven hairdressing salon located
on campus. The salon’s emphasis is on
personalisation and individuality. Fringe
Benefits has been at the forefront of
hairstyling for over 22 years.
Ashley Williams, owner and salon
visionary, has 16 years of hairdressing
experience and is a professional trainer
for companies such as LAKME and
Haircare Australia (TIGI). Services include
cut, colour, treatment, blow-drying and
facial waxing.
Opening Hours :
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday,
8.30am – 5.30pm
Thursday, 8.30 – 8pm
Saturday, 8.30am – 4pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9458 1625 or when on campus
ext. 3993
Health Services
Medical advice and treatment is available
for students at the Bentley Campus
Health Services Centre. The Health
Services Centre incorporates a doctor’s
surgery where students can make
appointments with either a doctor or
nurse. Nursing staff are available to assist
in the treatment of accidents and injuries
that may occur on campus. Male and
female doctors are available and all visits
are strictly confidential.
The Health Services Centre bulk bills all
students with Medicare cards.
International students can have the cost
of their consultation billed directly to their
insurance company.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm
Nurse in attendance: Monday to Friday,
8.30am – 7.30pm (only during teaching
and exam weeks) Otherwise
8.30am – 5.45pm
Location: Building 109
Tel: 9266 7345
Fax: 9266 2831
Note: All visits to see a doctor require an
appointment, except emergencies. For
any medical emergency dial ‘5’ on any
internal Curtin phone, during all hours.
Services / Graduation / Hair Salon / Health Services
Insurance / International Office / International I
Health Insurance
See Overseas Student Health Cover on
page 55.
Enrolled students who undertake
approved course-accredited work/field
experience, or field trips will be covered
by the University’s Personal Accident
Insurance for these activities when
undertaken within Australia and will be
covered under the University’s Corporate
Travel Insurance for the same activities
when undertaken overseas.
For more information visit:
Students are also covered for course related
work experience and activities
that do not form an essential (assessable)
part of their course. Cover is provided
through the Student Guild’s Personal
Accident Insurance Policy for Guild
members currently residing in Australia
(or residents temporarily travelling
overseas) who are injured while engaged
in University course/sport/guild-related
activities. The policy covers students
while they are on campus as well as any
necessary direct travel to and from such
activities. As the name suggests, the
cover is for accident only, not sickness.
In order to receive this cover, the student
must notify the Guild of their work
experience before they begin.
If you think you may have a Personal
Accident Insurance claim, require work
experience cover, or would like more
information please contact Student
Assist (see page 69).
Other insurances such as motor
insurance, travel insurance, home
insurance, etc. are the students’
responsibility and to be arranged with an
insurance company of their choice.
International Office
The International Office can provide
assistance with queries relating to:
• Under 18 Guardianship
• Late arrivals
• Airport reception
• Course changes and new
• Dependant schooling
• Student exchange
• Sponsorship
• AusAID
The International Office provides student
reference material, online course
information and a student exchange
resource library.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday: 9am – 4.45pm
Location: Building 103
Tel: 9266 7331
Fax: 9266 2605 or 9266 4013
Email: [email protected]
International Student Advisory Service
International Sponsored
Students Unit (ISSU)
Curtin has a dedicated International
Sponsored Students Unit (ISSU) located
within the International Office. The ISSU
is the first point of contact for prospective
and current international students who
are sponsored by AusAID and other
governments or agencies. The ISSU has
three dedicated staff members whose
roles are to assist sponsors and act as
intermediaries between students and the
AusAID is the Australian Government’s
major aid agency. As well as offering
direct development assistance, AusAID
provides scholarships for international
students from specific targeted countries.
For more information, visit and www.
Scholarships offered by other Australian
government agencies and Curtin can be
found at
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Location: International Office,
Building 103
Tel: 9266 3348
Fax: 9266 2605
Email: [email protected]
International Student
Advisory Service
International Student Advisors
International Student Advisors are here
to assist you with any problem that may
affect you as an international student.
We are your first point of call if:
• Settling in is not quite as easy as you
• Things seem a bit overwhelming at
any point during your course
• you are struggling with the course
and want to find out what support is
available to assist you
• If you have a family emergency or a
medical issue and you need to leave
your course for a short period
• Homesick and things just not going
well! We can point you in the right
direction for support and help
• You have been placed on
Conditional Status and do not know
what to do
• You find you have been Terminated
from your course and don’t know
what your options are
• Or anything else that might be on
your mind
Your International Student Advisors are:
Sharon Woodfield or Sandra Rives
Building 102
Tel: 9266 2434
International Students
Committee (ISC)
The International Students Committee
(ISC) is the peak representative body for
international students at the University.
Through the Student Guild, the ISC
works to ensure that international
students have the best possible
experience studying at Curtin. If you feel
lost, frustrated, or simply unhappy about
anything at all, you can approach the
ISC. As fellow international students, they
are there to assist you in finding your feet
at university and to make sure you have a
good time.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 11am – 2pm (teaching
weeks only)
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 2910
Fax: 9266 2996 (Attn: ISC)
Email: [email protected]
John Curtin Gallery
The John Curtin Gallery is a world-class
gallery located within the John Curtin
Centre. The Gallery regularly shows local,
national and international exhibitions, and
is one of Australia’s largest and best equipped
university art galleries.
Collaborating with artists and curators
from the Asia-Pacific and Indian Ocean
regions, the Gallery contributes to the
dynamic and changing cultures of
Australia and its regional neighbours while
documenting the work of contemporary
Australian artists, both Indigenous and
non-Indigenous. Admission is free.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 12pm – 5pm
Also open the last Sunday of every month
from 1pm – 4pm
Location: Building 200
Tel: 9266 4155
Fax: 9266 3878
Email: [email protected]
Leave of Absence
After enrolment has been completed,
students are entitled to one or more
periods of approved Leave of Absence
from their course.
A completed Application for Leave of
Absence form must be approved and
lodged with your Head of School prior
to the period that you will be absent.
Application forms outlining the regulations
for Leave of Absence are available from
your Faculty Student Services Offices,
Student Central, and can be downloaded
administration/forms.html. Students who
do not enrol for a period of 3 months and
who have not had a Leave of Absence
approved will have their course status
set to AWOL (Absent Without Leave).
Students with this status are no longer
guaranteed a place in their course.
In certain circumstances international
students are now allowed to take a leave
of absence. They are advised to seek
assistance from the International Student
John Curtin Gallery / Leave of Absence
Adviser, Building 102 if they wish to apply
for a leave of absence.
Note: Students should seek advice
from their Course Co-ordinator, the First
Year Experience Co-ordinator, the Guild
Student Assist Support Services or the
University Counselling Service before
applying for a leave of absence.
Legal Assistance
If you are an international student in a
situation requiring legal advice you can
make a confidential appointment with an
International Student Adviser, who can
refer you to an appropriate community
legal service. Some organisations are
able to offer basic advice, however
further assistance must be sought from
a solicitor for a fee. Although variable
across law firms, this fee can exceed
$180 per hour.
Welcome to your library!
Opening hours :
During semester the Robertson Library
on the Bentley Campus is open:
• Mondays – Thursdays:
8am - 9.30pm
• Fridays: 8am - 7.45pm
• Saturdays and Sundays:
10am - 5.45pm.
For other Curtin Libraries’ opening times,
check “About Us” on our website.
Library items can be borrowed using the
Self Service Loans machines on Level 2
of the main library or visit the Enquiries
Desk, also located on Level 2. Just
bring your Curtin ID card. Please check
your receipt carefully as this will tell you
when your items should be returned. All
library items are subject to early return if
required by other borrowers. If an item is
recalled you will be notified electronically
via the Official Communications
Channel (accessible via OASIS).
All library notices are sent to you via
this channel. It is a condition of your
enrolment that you check this channel
regularly. External students living outside
the Perth metro area please check:
html for more information on library
services available to you].
Recalling and Requesting
If a book is already on loan, you may
recall it through the library catalogue. If a
book is at another Curtin Library and it is
not on loan, you can request it be sent
to your library for you to borrow. You will
be notified via OASIS when it is ready
to collect or you can check the status
of your requests through your Borrower
Information from the library catalogue.
Computers, printers and log-ins
Library computers are available for
searching the catalogue, the library
databases and the Internet. Software
is also available for word processing
/ Legal Assistance / Library /
including all the Microsoft applications.
Most library computers link to network
printers. To print or photocopy you’ll
need to purchase a library copy card.
To log into library computers and/or
access any of the library’s online services
you will need to enter a Curtin ID and
Password. This is your student ID
number and your oasis password (8
digits). You can also use your laptop to
connect to the ‘wireless’ network and to
the library network printers.
The new iZone Level 2 is Bluetooth
enabled, has touch screen monitors
and webcams as well as graphics
workstations with 30 inch, high resolution
monitors and drawing tablets. Laptop
lounges for access to the “wireless”
network are also available.
Library databases and Reserve
Searching a database is the best way to
find journal articles on a topic. To find the
most useful databases for your subject
area, check the Subject Resources under
“Find Information” from the library home
page. It is also recommended that you
check the Library’s Reserve Collection,
through the library catalogue, for online
articles or books that are listed for your unit.
Your online library
You can access all of the library’s online
services and guides 24 hrs a day,
seven days a week via the Internet.
Even from home you can access the
library catalogue and databases, read
online journals and newspapers, find
library tutorials, referencing guides and
past exam papers and send us your
InfoTrekk: your guide through
the information maze
If you are not sure how to find information
for assignments or how to reference, try
InfoTrekk! It’s an easy, jargon-free guide.
It is accessible via our website or the
StartUp website and is recommended
for first year students or anyone returning
to study after a break. If you have any
difficulty understanding our library jargon
look up the terms in Library Language
to find an explanation. Click on the Help
link on the library website.
Tours, tours, tours
The Robertson Library runs 40-minute
tours, including an optional introduction
to the catalogue and finding journal
articles, in “O” Week and the first week
of each semester. Check for times on the
“O” Week timetable, library posters, and
on our website – you don’t need to book!
Ask at other Curtin libraries for the times
of their tours.
Free workshops
The Robertson Library runs free
workshops on finding journal articles,
searching the Web and using EndNote.
Click on “Research and Information
Skills” link on the library website to
book online. Ask at other Curtin libraries
to see what workshops they offer.
Lost Property / Market Day / Mature-Age/C
Library Contact Details
Location: Robertson Library
Building 105
See “About Us” on our website for the
locations and contact details of all
Curtin libraries.
Telephone: (08) 9266 7166
SMS: 0421 261 139
(see the Contact Us link).
Lost Property
Student Central is the deposit and
retrieval point for lost property on
Location: Building 101, Level 2
Tel: 9266 3399.
Market Day
Every Wednesday during teaching
weeks, the Guild precinct is transformed
into a marketplace. Stallholders offer a
dazzling array of products and services
to both students and staff. If you are
interested in setting up a stall, you will
need to complete a request booking
form. For more information, contact the
Student Guild. (See page 70).
Anyone over the age of 20 who is not
a high school leaver is a mature age
student. Mature-age students can
face many issues when studying for
the first time or returning to study after
a long period. For example, they may
have difficulty using new technology
or managing study in addition to work,
social and family commitments.
Specific support for mature-age students
is available from the First Year Experience
Co-ordinator, The Learning Centre, or
the University Counselling Service. The
Student Guild runs a Part-Time and
Mature-Aged Department, known as
PTMA. Students enrolled in less than
50 credits per semester and students
who did not enrol directly via the TEE are
eligible for help from the PTMA.
Student Guild Part-Time Mature-Age
Tel: 9266 2900
Email: [email protected]
Mentor Programs
A mentor is a current student who is
willing to assist you during your first
semester at Curtin. It is really helpful to
be able to take some of your queries
to a fellow student - especially those
questions that you might not want to
ask a staff member. Mentors make you
welcome, help you settle in, troubleshoot
any difficulties, and can connect you
to any of the University’s sources of
help if you need it. You can check the
whole mentor system and whether
your department has a student mentor
program at
newtocurtin/mentoring/index.cfm. And
maybe you can be a mentor in your
future years at Curtin!
Age/Part-Time Students / Mentor Programs
Money Management
After moving out of home or arriving in
Perth for the first time, many students
will be managing their finances without
family assistance. It is important to budget
realistically to ensure financial obligations
are met. It is also important to save for
unexpected expenses. The Student Guild
can provide information on how to budget
effectively, together with hints and advice
on how to save money.
Students who require a general listing of
the various organisations that may be able
to provide financial advice or support can
visit the Curtin University Financial Help
webpage at
financial/index.cfm <http://students.curtin.> .
Students who experience emergencies
of a financial nature can approach the
various areas of support such as the
START team, University Counselling
Services or Student Central to explore
the various avenues of help that may be
Multi-Faith Officer and
Prayer Facilities
The Multi-Faith Officer (MFO) and Prayer
Facilities are part of the University
Counselling Service. The MFO is available
for both personal support and general
consultation on matters of religious
belief and spirituality. The MFO does
not represent any denomination, faith or
religious organisation, instead providing
wide-ranging support assisted by
occasional visiting Chaplains (Anglican,
Baha’i, Baptist, Buddhist, Muslim,
Roman Catholic and others). Curtin also
provides spiritual and prayer spaces in
the following locations: Building 109 (all
faiths), Building 510/514 Mushalla. Large
groups can make bookings through the
Venues office.
The MFO service is provided free of charge
and all consultations are kept
confidential. The service is housed at the
Guild. Please contact the Guild reception
to make appointments.
Opening Hours :
Monday & Wednesday: 1pm to 5pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30am to 12pm
(other times by appointment)
Location: Building 106F
Tel: 9266 2906 or (1800 063 865 for
country callers)
Fax: 9266 2996
Email: [email protected]
Money Management / Multi-Faith Officer
A-Z Directory
Officer and Prayer Facilities
Alternatively, if you are interested in a
specific religious faith, the vibrant and
growing team of visiting chaplains would
welcome your questions and enquiries.
Their contact details are listed below for
your reference if you need to contact
them directly regarding their specific
religious services or support.
Dr. Sven Östring
Multi-Faith Officer
Location: Building 106F
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +61 8 9266 2900
Archdeacon Angela Webb
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 0409 886 226
Mrs. Monika Chang
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 08 9332 1580
Pastor Noal Atkinson
Email: [email protected]
Kelsang Nampur
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 08 9430 4592 (direct) or at
Dharmapala Buddhist Centre
on 08 9430 7877.
Imam Yahya Ibrahim
Email: [email protected] or
[email protected]
Mobile: 0403 965 522
Roman Catholic
Father John Gandini sdb
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 08 9361 7224
[email protected] offers a diverse range
musical services to enhance your time spent
at Curtin University of Technology.
[email protected] Group
Do you play an instrument, DJ or Sing? Join
our mailing list to meet and collaborate with
other like-minded musicians and plan gigs
together. We hold occasional jam session
during the semester and have a “musician
register” if you are interested in forming a
Lunchtime Concert Series
Held every Wednesday from 12 til 2pm
under the pines trees in Henderson Court.
A variety of performers will perform their
tunes throughout the semester. Preference
is given to Curtin students that can play with
basic equipment (Acoustic shows and DJ’s)
due to time restrictions. Meet up with your
fellow students for a lazy musical lunch break
on the grass.
Equipment Hire
[email protected] has some quality equipment
that can be hired when not in use. If you
would like to enhance your next party or
Guild Club event we have the solutions to
your sounds needs. If you are looking for
equipment for larger events we can link
you to our extensive range of contacts
and source the required equipment at
reasonable price.
Music /National Liaison Committee (NLC)
[email protected]
Facebook ID = [email protected]
Talk with people in the purple T-shirts at
Wednesday Lunchtime Concerts or visit us
building 599 near the main library!
National Liaison
Committee (NL C)
The National Liaison Committee (NLC)
is the peak representative body for
international students in Australia at
both the state and national levels. The
Committee advocates the rights of its
members through lobbying, networking
and campaigning. Important issues
actively pursued include unethical
marketing, communication of information,
quality of education and welfare support
services. For information about their
activities visit the NLC website.
Tel: 03 9650 8908
Email: [email protected]
OASIS is a secure web portal to
electronic services provided to Curtin
students. Curtin students log into OASIS
more than 100,000 times each week. To
log into OASIS, go to
Once logged into OASIS you will have
access to a range of services including:
• Official University communications
• Student email
• eStudent (Your student record,
including your personal details,
enrolment details and results)
• Learning support services such as
the library and Blackboard
• Careers tools
• Curtin news and events
Yes. Curtin delivers official
communications electronically via
OASIS. It is your responsibility to
access OASIS regularly in order to read
these communications. You should be
accessing OASIS at least weekly and
preferably two or three times a week.
Curtin monitors if and when students
read their official communications.
Once you are offered a place in a course
that is capable of leading to an award
at Curtin, you will automatically have
access to OASIS and its core services.
Additional services will be made available
to you through OASIS when you enrol.
If you are terminated from your course,
withdraw, defer or do not accept your
offer before its lapse date, you will lose
your OASIS access. After completing
your course at Curtin, you will be able
to access OASIS for 12 months after
course completion. If you take an
approved leave of absence, you will
continue to have access to OASIS over
your period of leave.
NLC) / Oasis / National Liaison Committee (NLC)
If you are unable to regularly access
OASIS due to a medical condition,
disability, or some other compelling
reason, you can apply for an eExemption
from using OASIS (please note:
eExemption will not be granted for slow
Internet connections).
To apply for an Exemption, complete an
Application for eExemption form available
from Student Central or online at: http://
The optometrist on campus offers eye
testing examinations and stocks a large
range of glasses, contact lenses and
sunglasses at affordable prices.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 7.30am – 5pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9451 4130
Fax: 9451 1393
Email: [email protected]
Orientation is the official start of the
academic year.
Centrelink recognises Orientation as the
start of semester, so if you are receiving
payments they will start from ‘O’ Week.
Orientation runs over two weeks:
International Prep Week:
For international students only.
Get enrolled and get familiar!
‘O’ Week:
2 components:
1. Faculty orientation
2. Social orientation
Why should you attend Orientation?
A lot of important information will be
presented to you over these weeks giving
you the best possible start. You will be
introduced to your course information
and faculty, find your classrooms, highlight
the support services available on campus
and much more…
Students who participate during
orientation feel less overwhelmed and
anxious about what needs to be done
before classes begin!
Don’t miss the fun and entertainment to
welcome you to Curtin!
For more information on Orientation visit
the Orientation website at
or pay us a visit at Building 102.
Orientation Volunteers
Each semester a team of Orientation
volunteers welcome new local and
international students to Curtin. Being
an Orientation volunteer gives students
the opportunity to meet and get to know
students from many different countries
and cultures. Volunteers work as part
Optometrist / Orientation / Overseas Student
of a team and assist with the planning
and preparation of Orientation events.
To register as a volunteer go online :
Students can also become an e-Mate
and correspond with new international
students via email – answering their
questions about Curtin and Perth.
For more information see Curtin Connect
on page 24.
Overseas Student
Health Cover (OSHC )
The Australian Government requires
international students to be covered by
health insurance (OSHC) and maintain
cover for the length of their student visa.
Before your student visa is granted, you
needed to buy OSHC, to cover you from
when you arrive in Australia. Students
must purchase an Overseas Students
Health Cover (OSHC) policy, approved by
the Australian Department of Health and
Ageing, from a registered health benefits
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
is health insurance. OSHC covers the
costs for:
• Out of Hospital Services
• In Hospital Services
• Prescription Medicines
• Emergency ambulance transport
During your stay in Australia, you may
need to see a doctor at some time.
Medical services in Australia are not free
and visits to doctors and hospitals incur
a cost. If you attend the Health Service
on campus, the cost of seeing the doctor
is likely to be covered by OSHC.
OSHC does not cover visits to the
dentist, physiotherapist, optometrist,
chiropractic and Osteopathic services. It
is recommended that students who may
need these services speak to their health
provider to obtain additional cover.
There are four providers:
• OSHC Worldcare
• Medibank Private
• BUPA Overseas Student Health
• Australian Health Management
Curtin’s preferred provider is OSHC
OSHC Worldcare membership cards
must be ordered online at once you
have a permanent address in Perth.
Your membership number is your
Curtin student number. Once you have
updated your information, just select the
“order a Membership Card” option. Your
card and policy documents will be sent
directly to your Perth address.
Student Health Cover (OSHC)
For further information regarding all
OSCH Government-approved providers,
It is a requirement of your student visa
to maintain your health cover for the
term of your student visa. It is your
responsibility to renew your health cover
before it expires. An OSHC Worldcare
representative is available daily on
campus at Student Central in Building
101 to assist you with all OSHC enquiries
including renewals, cash claims and
holiday credit. Check the notice board
at student central for service times.
Renewal payments must be paid via
EFTPOS and credit card only. No cash
will be accepted.
Dental care is not covered by OSHC
and students are strongly encouraged
to take out additional cover through their
provider. The Yellow Pages of the Perth
Telephone Directory lists dental care
providers and includes a locality guide.
The Western Australian Government
provides an after-hours emergency
telephone service seven days a week
between the hours of 6.30pm and 8am.
This service is to be used for immediate
and urgent dental attention only.
For more information
telephone 9325 3452.
If you own a car and wish to park on
the Bentley campus you will need to
obtain a parking permit. Prior to the
commencement of first semester, you will
receive a Parking Application form, which
entitles you to purchase a parking permit.
If you do not receive an application by
the commencement of first semester you
should contact the Parking and Traffic
Office to request a Parking Application
To find out the correct fee for a student parking
permit, payable each semester
check out the following web link:
Payments can only be made through
Australia Post using POST Billpay.
Payments will not be accepted at the
Cashiers in Student Central.
Post Billpay
1. By Phone – Phone 131816 anytime to
pay from your credit card.
2. Online – Go to
au and follow the instructions to pay from
your credit card.
3. In Person – Present your application at
any Post Office to make your payment by
cash, cheque, credit card or EFTPOS.
Permits will be issued over the counter at
the following Post Offices:
• Victoria Park – 414 Albany Hwy,
Victoria Park
• East Victoria Park (Park Centre
Parking / Physiotherapy / Pharmacy / Physiotherapy
• Bentley (Bentley Centre Shopping)
• Cannington (Carousel Shopping
• Karawara (Village Green Shopping
• Riverton (Riverton Forum Shopping
• Hillarys (Whitford City Shopping
• Fremantle – 13 Market St, Fremantle
• Joondalup (Lakeside Shopping City)
Permits purchased online, by phone or at
any other Post Office not listed above will
be issued via postal mail.
Students may only park in green
(student) and temporary parking areas
(refer to campus map on back page).
Special arrangements are available for
disabled students.
Location: Parking and Traffic Office, near
the Hockey Stadium, Building 115
Tel: 9266 7116
Fax: 9266 3223
Friendly staff at the on campus pharmacy
will be happy to assist with all your
pharmaceutical needs including:
• Prescriptions
• Western Union Money Transfer
(sending only)
• Medibank Private
• Vitamins
• Photo Processing
• Digital Processing
• Gifts
Opening Hours :
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 5.30pm
Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 3784
Fax: 9451 4440
School of Physiotherapy
Treatment is provided by final year
Physiotherapy students under the
supervision of experienced clinicians who
are academic staff at the School.
The clinics offer excellent quality of care
through physiotherapy assessment,
accurate diagnosis, and treatment where
indicated, to people with musculoskeletal
problems including:
• Back and neck pain
• Headaches
• Arthritis and joint pain
• Sports/musculoskeletal injuries
• Post-surgical rehabilitation
• Injury rehabilitation
Referrals are welcome, but not required.
Opening Hours and Contact Details
Bentley Clinic at Curtin University of
Physiotherapy / Pharmacy / Physiotherapy
Building 404, Level 3, off Brand Drive,
Bentley WA
Please telephone 9266 1210 for
enquiries and bookings.
Open Monday 2:00pm to 5:30pm.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from
8:00am to 4:00pm
Open Thursday 8:00am to 12:00pm
Private physiotherapy practice
on campus:
Opening Hours :
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday,
8am – 6pm
Wednesday, 8am – 12pm
Location: The Dome, Building 111
(behind Curtin Fitness Centre)
Plagiarism means presenting the work or
property of another person as one’s own,
without appropriate acknowledgement or
Plagiarism includes:
• Copying of sentences, paragraphs
or creative products which are the
work of other persons
• Paraphrasing sentences, paragraphs
or themes too closely
• Using another person’s work/s
or research data without due
• Submitting work that has been
produced by someone else
• Copying or submitting computer
files, code or website content in
whole or in part without indicating
their origin
• Submitting previously assessed
or published work for assessment
or publication elsewhere, without
permission or acknowledgement
• In the case of group projects,
falsely representing the individual
contributions of the collaborating
The University regards any acts of
cheating or dishonesty by way of
plagiarism, very seriously. There are
strong penalties for breaches (including
annulment of results or termination/
expulsion from the University). For more
information, visit http://students.curtin.
In particular, we recommend you take
a look at the practical guide available at
Students (both undergraduate and
postgraduate) can also obtain academic
guidance and support from The
Learning Centre by visiting http://www.
index.cfm The Guild’s Student Assist
Support Service can provide advice
and assistance to all students who are
dealing with any plagiarism related
Plagiarism / Police / Printing/Photocopying/
The WA Police Service is committed
to serving all people fairly, equitably
and without prejudice. If required, the
University Counselling Service can assist
students in accessing police services
and refer them to other agencies and
organisations where necessary.
The University Counselling Service will
ensure that people from culturally and
linguistically diverse backgrounds are not
disadvantaged or discriminated against
in any way in accessing police services.
For more information contact University
Counselling Services (08 9266 7850 or
1800 651 878)
West Australian Police
Tel: 131 444 or for life-threatening
emergencies call 000
Postgraduate students
See CUPSA page 24.
Prep Week
Prep Week is the week prior to ‘O’ Week
and is designed to assist international
students to settle into Perth and university
life. All new international students attend
Prep Week. For more information visit
Design Services
There are several places on campus
that offer printing, photocopying and/or
design services:
For printing services and printer
cartridges on campus visit Printer Fuel.
Services include:
• Inkjet, laser & copier cartridges
• Original, generic OR refilled
cartridges – “Buy 3 generics, get 1
• Laser printing – black and colour
• Discounted self-service printing in
A4, A3 and large format up to A0
• Online printing service ready for
collection in 24 hours
• Digital photo printing and
• Thesis, lecture notes and
assignment printing
• Printer, fax, multi-function centres
and copier sales and repairs – “no
fix, no fee”.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 1044
Fax: 9258 8844
Email: [email protected]
The Robertson Library also offers several
card-operated self-service photocopiers
and printers on each level of the library.
Photocopying/Design Services / Prep Week
Radio Stations / Radio Stations / Radio Stations
Colour copying and copying to
overhead transparencies services are
also available. Copying cards can be
purchased for a one-off cost through
self-service cashiers on Levels 2 and 3.
Further credit can be added at any time
and on any level of the library.
Check with other Curtin libraries for
details of the copying and printing
services they offer.
Guild Copy & Design Centre
The Guild Copy & Design Centre offers
a wealth of services including artwork
and design, colour/black and white
printing or copying, heat press transfers,
scanning, laminating and book binding.
For personalised gifts, business cards,
club party tickets, membership cards,
invitations, flyers, brochures or a creative
job application CV, talk to the Centre’s
Graphic Designer, John Hew.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9226 2925
Email: [email protected]
Curtin Print and Design offers a range
of printing and design services including
digital black and colour copying.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30 – 5pm
Location: John Curtin Centre,
Building 200
Tel: 9266 2015
Fax: 9266 3397
Radio Stations
FM Popular
Frequency Station
92.1 RTRFM
92.9 All New 929
93.7 Nova 93.7
94.5 Mix FM
96.1 96FM
98.5 Sunshine FM
– Christian Radio
99.3 Triple J
100.1 Curtin FM 100.1
101.7 Groove FM
FM Classical
Frequency Station
97.7 ABC Fine Music
Frequency Station
585 24hr News Station
720 Local Radio
810 6RN Radio National
– news, current
affairs, education,
late night music.
Stations / Radio Stations / Radio Stations
Recognition of Prior
Learning (RPL )
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is
credit or advanced standing given to a
student towards a course of study, on
the basis of previously completed work
or studies appropriate to the course of
study. If you have previously passed
post-secondary level subjects, or have
work experience relevant to your current
course, you may be eligible for RPL.
Assessment Of RPL
The assessment of work experience
and/or previous study for the purposes
of gaining credit or exemption in your
course is conducted by the enrolling
School/Department. Generally the Head
of Area or Course Co-ordinator for your
chosen course can advise you about
your eligibility for RPL. If you believe you
have work experience and/or previous
study that could be used for RPL it is
recommended that you see your Course
Co-ordinator as early as possible, as the
credit granted towards your course may
reduce the number of units you need
to study, which affects your enrolment
and your student load. If submitted
during your final year or semester, it may
also affect your course completion and
subsequent graduation.
International students will have RPL
assessed as part of the normal
application procedure. The documents
submitted for their application to Curtin
will be assessed to determine whether
RPL will be granted. Depending upon the
institution where previous studies were
completed, students may be required
to provide a course syllabus and unit
Application forms for RPL are
available from your enrolling School/
Department, Faculty Student Services
Office, Student Central or can be
found at
au/local/docs/rpl.pdf. All students are
required to lodge an application with
supporting documentation at the time
of enrolment into the course of study
(if not at enrolment, please see your
enrolling School/Department for relevant
deadlines). Please contact your enrolling
School/Department for more information.
Recreation Centre
Please see Sports and Recreation
page 67.
Refund of Tuition Fees
Refund policies for International,
Commonwealth Supported and
Domestic Fee-Paying students vary. For
information on refunds, visit the Fees &
Charges website at
To apply for a tuition fee refund, an
Application for Refund form must be
completed and submitted to University
Fees Centre, Student Central.
Forms can be downloaded from
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) / Research
Research and
Curtin aims to achieve excellence in
research and development, particularly
in partnership with other organisations,
institutions of learning and the
The Office of Research & Development
(R&D) provides support to postgraduate
research students in the following areas:
• Graduate studies
• Overview of the Higher Degree by
Research process
• Higher Degree by Research contacts
• Forms, policies and guidelines
• Professional development
• Human research and animal ethics
• Scholarships
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Location: Building 100, Levels 1 and 2
Tel: 9266 7863
Fax: 9266 3793
Sanctions are imposed when payment is
outstanding for (and not limited to):
• Tuition Fees/Late Fees/Amenities
and Services Fee
• Traffic Infringements
• Library Fines
• Bookshop Debts
If you do not pay your fees and debts to
the University by the required due date,
a sanction will be placed on your student
record. This sanction prevents access
to your results and you will be unable to
receive your official academic record or graduate
until the debt is paid. Students with
sanctions are also not able to re-enrol or
change course until the debt is cleared.
Once the sanction has been paid it will
be removed from your record within 24
Students can check if they have
sanctions recorded against them via the
‘Sanctions Channel’ in OASIS.
• Fees Centre – 9266 3500
• Library Fines – 9266 7166
• Parking Fines – 9266 7116
• Housing Debts – Contact the Main
Office of your on-campus residence
• Bookshop Debts – 9266 2315
Information about scholarships can be
found on the Scholarships website –
Students seeking scholarships should
also approach the School in which they
are enrolled for further information.
Research and Development
School-Age Dependants / Scholarships S
Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Scholarships (studying by coursework):
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am - 4:45pm
Location: Building 101, Level 2
Tel: 9266 2992
Fax: 9266 4108
Email: [email protected]
Postgraduate Scholarships (studying
by research):
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm
Location: Building 100, Level 1
Tel: 9266 4906
Fax: 9266 3793
Email: [email protected]
Scholarships email Alert!
Make sure you never miss out on
scholarship opportunities by signing up
for Scholarships Email Alert at http://
You will receive an email alert whenever
a scholarship that matches your criteria
is opened for applications. You’ll also
receive a reminder email one week
before applications close.
School-Age Dependants
While studying at Curtin, International
students with school-age dependants
can arrange for their dependants to
attend school in Perth. A visa for the
dependants will have to be obtained
through the Department of Immigration
and Citizenships (DIAC) or their
representative. The University will assist
with visa applications for dependants of
Masters and PhD students if required.
There are different schooling
arrangements for dependants of
undergraduate, Masters and PhD
students and AusAID students.
Dependants of international Masters or
PhD students studying at Curtin can be
placed in a government (public) school
through the Education Department of
Western Australia. Once dependants
are placed in the government system,
no school fees will apply (other than
incidental costs) unless the dependants
require extra English language support
or disability support. In this case,
the associated costs are paid by the
student, NOT Curtin or the Education
The International Office at Curtin must
process applications for a place in a WA
government school. The International
Office will make the application on behalf
of the student. Applications can only be
Scholarships email Alert! / Dependants Of All Other
made once the dependant has arrived in
Perth and the student has a permanent
residential address.
The Education Department will look for a
school that has room for the dependants.
They will try to locate a school close to
the residential address but there is no
guarantee that schools in the area will
have the room to accommodate the
dependants. It is not possible to choose
a government school or approach
government schools independently. All
applications MUST come through the
International Office.
Once dependants are placed in the
government system minimal voluntary
school fees will apply. If dependants
require extra English language studies
or support for a disability the associated
costs are paid by the international
Masters or PhD student NOT Curtin or
the Education Department of Western
For more information about this
placement program please contact an
ISSU staff member at the International
All school-aged dependants of AusAID
scholarship students are eligible to
attend the free public school system
in Western Australia. The International
Sponsored Student Unit [ISSU] will assist
all AusAID scholarship students with
school enrolments. Minimum school
charges apply to all government primary
and secondary schools. There is a
voluntary fee of approx A$60 for primary
school and $200 – 500 for secondary
Evidence of AusAID scholarship status
must be provided before admission to
a government school will be granted.
A letter from the ISSU at Curtin is
considered satisfactory evidence. A
fee for English language support for
dependants also applies, however some
selected state schools may include
English language support in their tuition
fees. AusAID dependants can also attend
private, non-government schools which
will incur fees. For more information,
contact the ISSU (see page 45).
All other international students are
able to enrol their dependants in either
government (public) or non-government
(private) schools registered by the
Commonwealth Register of Institutions
and Courses for Overseas Students
(CRICOS). The International Office is not
involved in placement of these students.
Application is made directly through
the school and is the responsibility of
the international student. Tuition fees
will apply for each dependant and any
additional support, for example, English
language support or support for a
disability, will incur additional charges.
Although tuition fees for private schools
vary substantially, the fee structure
for government schools ranges from
A$2,250 to A$5,800 per year (or part
Security and Safety / Sexuality and Gender S
thereof) depending upon the age and
educational level of the child.
For more information visit
For a list of CRICOS registered schools
Additional fees for school age
dependants may include textbooks,
stationery, laboratory clothes, school
uniforms and computer hardware/
software. Some courses may also have
additional fees for consumable items in
subjects such as photography. It is the
responsibility of the parents to familiarise
themselves with any additional fees.
All spouses of students on a student
visa must apply for a working visa if
they wish to work. Spouses of Masters
and PhD students can obtain visas with
unlimited work hours, while spouses of
other international students will obtain
a visa with a limit of 20 hours per week
according to DIAC regulations. AusAID
spouses who wish to study full-time must
apply for a student visa and must meet
all student visa requirements.
Security and Safety
Perth is like any other city in the world
and it is important to use common sense
regarding personal safety and security.
A safe environment requires individual
awareness of safety and security issues.
Students should recognise and avoid
any potentially risky situations and report
suspicious behaviour to Curtin Security.
Always carry your Curtin ID card – this
card may give you access to certain
buildings as well as providing you with
identification. Students who need to
access a building after hours should
contact the Security Office on
9266 4444.
Securing your property
Never leave personal belongings
unattended, whether you are in a lab,
library, etc. regardless of how long you
will be gone, even a couple of minutes,
unwatched articles invite thieves.
If someone attempts to steal your
property, don’t physically resist.
No amount of money or property is
worth the risk of serious injury.
Securing your vehicle
Theft of property from parked vehicles
is a major concern to Police and the
University. Do not leave any valuables in
your car and lock it when you leave.
Security Officers patrol the campus 24
hours a day. A Courtesy Bus is available
on and around campus to help get you
safely to your car or your on-campus
accommodation after hours.
Gender Diversity / Shopping Hours /
For more information see Campus
Courtesy Bus on page 23.
Opening Hours :
24 hours, 7 days a week
Location: Security Office, near the
Hockey Stadium, Building 115
Tel: 9266 4444 (Dial 5 from any internal
Curtin phone in an emergency)
Fax: 9266 2739
Email: [email protected]
Web: <http://>
Sexuality and Gender
Sexuality and Gender Diversity
Curtin respects and values the diversity
of its students and staff, and welcomes
people of diverse sexuality and gender
Curtin has an Ally Program to
support GLBTI (gay, lesbian, bisexual,
transgender and intersex) students and
staff. An Ally is simply any person, who is
informed about, is sensitive toward and
has an understanding of GLBTI people
and their issues.
For information about Allies and various
resources and research visit Curtin’s
Sexuality and Gender Diversity website:
guild Sexuality department
The Guild’s Sexuality department ensures
that all LGBTI students at Curtin are well
presented and supported. The main
goal of the department is to continue
to advance social, economic and
educational access for LGTBI students
as well as maintaining gender equity on
For more information about this
Department or to access the Guild’s
Sexuality Department room, contact the
Student Guild (see page 70).
Shopping Hours
Shopping hours in Perth are
generally as follows:
Monday to Friday: 8/9am – 6pm
Thursday: 8/9am – 9pm (suburban
shops only)
Friday: 8/9am – 5pm (Perth city and
Sunday: 12pm 6pm (Perth city)
10am – 4pm (Fremantle)
Sport and Recreation
Recreation & Events)
Pride in Health, Recreation & Sports for
all ages, Students, Staff & Community
all welcome. Our qualified friendly team
is on hand to assist you with high quality
service. Get into shape whilst utilizing our
state of the art facilities which include:
Gym, Spin, Ladies Studio, Group Fitness
Student Assist / Student Assist Special S
energy zone, 3 International size multisports
courts, Beach Volleyball, Events
Centre & Café. Gym & Ladies Studio
memberships include free initial fitness
appraisal & program so that progress can
be monitored in achieving client health
& fitness goals. Personal Training is also
available for those requiring assistance
from exercise & motivational specialists.
Our Group Fitness program features
Les Mills classes, one of the best group
fitness formulas for results & fun. Sports
Hall is equipped for Netball, Basketball,
Volleyball, Badminton, Table Tennis,
Social Sports.
All enquiries welcome on: 9266-7870/
9266-2160, website: http://recreation.
Please Note: conditions apply on all
memberships and usage of the Curtin
Stadium (Health, Recreation & Events)
University Staff, Students, Alumni &
Community all welcomed. Experience
the great health & fitness benefits whilst
utilising our state of the art Gym with
Spin Room, Group Fitness area, Ladies
Gym, 3 International grade sports
courts, Beach Volleyball, café & seating
capacity of 2500 for graduation & special
events. Our qualified friendly team take
pride in providing high quality service
for individual, group fitness, sports &
social events to enhance the collective
wellbeing of Curtin’s Students, Staff & the
Location: Curtin Stadium, Dumas Road
(Curtin Campus)
Tel: 9266 7870
Fax: 9458 6589
Email: [email protected]
University Sport
Australian University Sport (AUS) is the
governing body for university sport in
Australia. Each year, Curtin students
compete in the local Tertiary Sports WA
weekly intervarsity competition and the
Australian University Games.
Each semester, the Curtin Student
Guild offers a diverse range of sport
and recreation activities to the Curtin
community. From beginners to those
that just want to brush up on their skills.
There is something for everyone! The
majority of courses commence in the 3rd
– 4th week of the semester and generally
run for around 6 weeks at various times
and locations – every effort has been
made to keep as many courses on
campus to ensure they are convenient for
everyone to attend. For contact details
see Student Guild on page 63.
Student Assist
Student Assist is the welfare, support
and advocacy service of the Curtin
Student Guild, available for all students
with any personal, welfare or academic
issues. A small team of Student Assist
Officers can provide a wealth of helpful
information to all Curtin students, along
Projects and Events/ Student Central
with a comprehensive referral service.
The Guild is independent from the
University and the Student Assist service
is completely confidential and will assist
with any difficulties you are facing during
your time at University.
The Student Assist service is particularly
useful in helping to inform you of your
rights and responsibilities with regards
to University policy and the Student
Assist officers can help you understand
better, any decisions made in relation to
your enrolment, academic progress and
assessments. They can also provide you
with advice and guidance about the best
people to see to resolve any academic
issues and the best way to go about
it. They are particularly well positioned
to provide support on matters such as
appealing an assessment grade, dealing
with findings of academic misconduct
and plagiarism and appealing a
The Student Assist service has produced
a series of “Helpful Handy Hints” fact
sheets which cover a wide variety of
popular topics ranging from academic
tips, to health and lifestyle and finding
work. These can be found in Guild
reception, Bldg 106 and on the Guild
Stu dent Assist Special Projects
and Events
Bookshop Grants up to the value of
$250, are available to students on
low incomes at the beginning of each
semester. Applications close early, so
students need to keep an eye out for
promotional material around campus
and on the Guild Website well before
semester starts.
The ‘On Show’ Arts Grant is an initiative
which aims to support the artistic and
creative projects of any individuals or
groups of enrolled Curtin students. The
program currently provides 2 grants
per year, of up to $2000 each, for the
selected students to put towards the
presentation, installation, catalogue
production and publicity costs for their
exhibition of work.
Reboot is a computer recycling and
redistribution scheme for those on a low
income and in need of a computer.
To meet with a Student Assist Support
Officer, just pop in to Bldg 106 or call
Guild Reception for an appointment on
9266 2900 or 1800 063 865 for country
Student Central
Administrative Fees and Charges
The most common fees and charges are
listed here, however there are other fees
and charges that apply to you as a Curtin
student. See Tuition Fees on page 76.
• Letter of course completion or
course conferral – $15
• Letter confirming student enrolment
– $25
• Academic Record – $10 (first copy),
$2 (addition copies requested at the
same time)
• Certified photocopy of course outline
Student Feedback / Student Guild / Student S
– $2 per unit (up to a maximum of $40)
• Fee for change of student details
after conferral date – $75
• Re-issue of Curtin Award – $100
• Replacement Student ID & Library
Card – $15 (no fee for damaged
or stolen cards if a police report
number is produced)
• Certification of documents –
$2 per page
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm
(extended hours for ‘O’ Week and first
week of semester, 8am – 5.30pm)
Location: Building 101
Tel: 9266 3399
Fax: 9266 4108
Ask us: www.ask.studentcentral.curtin.
Student Feedback
Curtin Annual Student Satisfaction
(CASS) Survey, is an annual online survey
that gives students the opportunity to
tell us about their experience with the
services and facilities offered to them
as a Curtin student. Results are used
to identify areas where students are
satisfied and to identify areas where
improvements can be made. To find out
how Curtin has responded to student
feedback visit
This survey is available via OASIS and
the Curtin Homepage.
Student Guild
The Curtin Student Guild plays a vital role
in representing the interests of students
by providing educational, commercial
and social services to its members. The
Guild represents all students on the
major boards and committees of the
University and represents international
students specifically through its
subsidiary council, the International
Students Committee (ISC) and postgraduate
students through its CUPSA
department (see page 24).
The Guild operates many essential
services on campus, including a Tavern
and Bistro, Second-hand Bookshop,
Curtin Concept and Copy & Design
Centre and The Spot. The Food and
Beverage division of the Guild operates
all cafeterias and cafes on campus and,
in consultation with the International
Office, has established the availability of
Halal food at Curtin.
The Guild also provides avenues
for students to network outside the
classroom, with over 80 international,
religious, academic, sporting and special
interest clubs registered each year, and
a healthy events calendar offering a wide
range of social activities for students
from all backgrounds.
Guild members will enjoy discounts at
all on-campus Guild outlets in 2008.
Off campus, Guild members receive
Student Identification (ID) and Library Card
discounts from more than 160 Guild affiliated
companies through the Discount
Provider Scheme, providing savings on
items such as car services, veterinary
bills and dining out.
The Guild offers an independent and
confidential welfare, advocacy, support
and referral service to assist all students
with any personal, welfare or academic
issue that they may have. For more
information see Student Assist on
page 69.
Opening Hours :
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106F
Tel: 9266 2900
Fax: 9266 2996
Email: [email protected]
Student Identification
(ID) and Library Card
To obtain a Student ID Card, take your
Enrolment Advice to Student Central.
A Curtin Student Card:
• Gives you access to University
buildings after hours. You must apply
directly to your school for access
(except CBS students)
• Allows use of the Abacus Lab in
Building 501, 408 and 303.
• Helps with campus security
• Acts as identification when
conducting business at Faculty
Student Services Offices and
ID Counters.
Your Student Card is required when:
• Borrowing library books
• Setting up an email account
• Sitting examinations
• Having your SmartRider application
The replacement fee is $15 if you lose
your Student Card. Damaged or stolen
cards (with a Police Crime Reference
Number) will be replaced free of charge.
Note: A Student Card is NOT proof of
enrolment. Students MUST carry their ID
card at all times when on campus.
Student Number
Student numbers are allocated on your
original Letter of Offer. This number is
your identification number at Curtin.
It is the means by which student
records can be carried forward each
year. Please ensure that your student
number is entered on every enrolment,
amendment, change of address form
and correspondence submitted while
studying at Curtin.
Student One
Student One is the core administrative
system for student information and
progression. The University uses the
system to record a variety of details for
all Curtin students including admission
and enrolment, examination results,
demographics, financial liability and
transactions, and graduation details.
Tax File Number / Telecommunications /ST
See Student Feedback page 70.
Tax File Number
The Australian Federal Government
requires anyone working in Australia
or with an Australian bank account to
have a Tax File Number. Banks must
be provided with a Tax File Number to
ensure that the correct tax is charged
on any interest earned on an account.
Tax File Number application forms are
available from Student Central. Forms
must be lodged at the Australian Taxation
Office (ATO) and students must take their
passport and Student ID Card with them.
You may also apply online via the ATO
International students are generally
treated the same as Australian residents
for taxation purposes, however, they may
be entitled to a rebate when returning
home. For more information contact the
Australian Taxation Office
Location: 45 Francis Street, Northbridge
WA 6003
Tel: 13 28 69
Telstra currently operates the Australian
National telephone system. However,
due to deregulation, consumers have the
choice of using Optus Communications
and other telecommunication providers
for a number of services.
It is possible to get very good rates
on international calls from these
International students must pay a bond
in order to arrange telephone connection.
Currently, only Telstra will do this. Local
calls have a set fee regardless of the
duration of the call, however calls outside
the Perth Metropolitan area, interstate
and overseas are timed. Details of call
costs are in the front of the White Pages
Telephone Directory.
International calls can be very costly, so it
is wise to check the cheapest time to call
before dialing. It is possible to have a bar
put on any telephone to stop timed-call
numbers being dialed. This is particularly
useful if sharing a house where there
are concerns about splitting call costs.
Timed call charges are itemised on each
phone bill.
Phone cards are sold at the Guild
Front Counter, Vickery House Office
and at most newsagents. Cards are
available in A$5, A$10, A$20 and
A$50 denominations and can be used
to make local or international calls.
Most international students find this
a very convenient way of tracking
their expenses. Telecommunications
brochures are available in the reading
area of the International Office.
/Traffic and Road Safety
Traffic and Road Safety
For safety reasons, international students
must familiarise themselves with Western
Australian road rules.
• Vehicles travel on the left hand side
of the road
• When crossing roads, look to the
right, then left, then right again
before proceeding
• Pedestrians are encouraged to
cross at traffic lights or designated
pedestrian crossings
• Pedestrians must walk straight
across the road, not diagonally, and
exercise caution when stepping out
from behind buses and other objects
at the roadside
• Exercise particular caution if you are
from a country where traffic drives
on the opposite side of the road.
As an international student, you can
drive on your overseas licence for up
to 12 months from your arrival or until
the licence expires (whichever comes
first). If you intend staying longer than 12
months or your overseas licence expires
within that time, you should apply for a
WA licence.
If your overseas licence is not in English,
it is advisable to carry an International
Driving Permit or an approved English
translation of your licence (if you have
either of these) with you when you drive.
If you are driving with an international
licence, you should ensure that your
insurance policy covers you in the
event of an accident. Students have
had insurance claims rejected by their
insurance company because they have
not had a Western Australian Driver’s
Ensure that you adhere to the speed
limits at all times. In built-up areas the
speed limit is 40 km/h. Drivers should
always be mindful of the safety of other
road users and children near schools and
recreation areas.
In Australia, it is compulsory for
passengers and drivers to wear a
seatbelt. It is the driver’s responsibility to
ensure all passengers have fastened their
seat belts. Usage of mobile phones while
driving is an offence.
Although international students may
be competent drivers, they are not
necessarily experienced with long
distance travel in Australia. Students
may also be inexperienced travelling
at country speed limits. Country roads
are often narrow and are used by large
trucks and long ‘road trains’ travelling
at high speeds. Overtaking must be
executed with great caution.
The great distances and long straight
roads in regional areas often cause
drivers to become easily fatigued, often
resulting in impaired judgement and
slower reflexes.
There is also a risk of having an accident
when driving in rural areas at night due
Transport/ Bus / Taxi / Travelsmart Guide T
to various wildlife that may be crossing
the road. Drivers should stop and rest
at least once every two hours to have a
brief walk or refreshment when driving
long distances.
Drink driving is not tolerated. It is
prohibited to drive any vehicle (including
a bicycle) when under the influence of
alcohol. Police will frequently administer
a breath analysis to determine whether
alcohol has been consumed.
The legal limit in Western Australia is
0.05%, the equivalent of approximately
one standard drink. For more information
on ‘standard’ drinks and alcohol limits visit
Students purchasing a bicycle must also
purchase a safety helmet. It is compulsory
to wear an approved safety helmet when
riding a bicycle or motorcycle in Western
Australia. Police can issue a fine if you fail
to do so. Safety approved helmets are
available from sports stores or department
stores at a reasonable cost.
In Western Australia, all full-time students
are entitled to Transperth concessions.
The SmartRider Card will entitle full-time
students to discounted travel on all
bus, train and ferry services within the
metropolitan area, and discount on all
2009 regional rail and coach services.
Currently the Transperth SmartRider Card
is issued separately to your Curtin Student
ID. To obtain a SmartRider Card, please
visit the Transperth website.
Staff at Student Central will endorse your
SmartRider application form based on your
enrolment status. You will need to provide
your Curtin Student ID Card and proof of
fulltime enrolment for your application to be
Tel: 13 62 13
The Curtin Bus Station is the principal
pedestrian gateway into the Bentley
Campus. Its frequent services provide
easy access into Perth City. The Curtin
Bus Station is one of the bus stops
on Transperth’s Circle Route, which
facilitates travel around the city fringe
between universities, train stations and
shopping centres. The Circle Route
departs every 15 minutes between the
hours of 6.30am and 6pm Monday to
Friday and at other frequencies outside
of these hours. For detailed bus route
information visit the Transperth website.
If you are on campus and not sure of
bus routes or departure times, visit the
Student Guild. They can provide bus
timetables to help you plan your journey.
You can purchase a SmartRider ticket
at the Copy Centre and the University
Bookshop, or at any newsagency in the
area. SmartRiders entitle you to cheaper
rates and are swiped each time you use
the bus, train or ferry.
Guide / Curtin University Bicycle Users Group
Swan Taxis and Black & White Taxis are
the most widely used taxis in Western
Australia. All taxis are meter operated
by time and distance, and operate 24
hours a day. Taxis are indicated as being
vacant by an illuminated sign on the
roof and can be pre-booked by phone
or on the Internet. Taxis can also be
hailed on the street or found at taxi ranks
throughout the city and at the airport. It is
recommended that you book your taxi in
advance to avoid delays, particularly on
A taxi service is available for disabled
passengers. The service operates 24
hours a day. This service can be booked
by telephone on 9333 3377.
Swan Taxis – 131 330
Black and White Taxis – 131 008
The bicycle is a healthy, clean, quiet,
non-polluting, affordable form of
transport. The objective of the Curtin
University Bicycle Users Group (CUBUG)
is to facilitate the usage of bicycles as a
means of transport to, from and within
Curtin. The group encourages staff and
students to come along to meetings and
get involved with helping to improve local
facilities for cyclists.
For cyclist facilities on campus see
the Curtin Parking and Traffic website
alternative transport
There are alternatives to driving a
car. Free printed copies of the local
TravelSmart Guide are available from
the Curtin Hub (Building 599). The
Guide shows local facilities such as
supermarkets, delis, public toilets, skate
parks, playgrounds and post boxes. One
side of the guide is for public transport
- it shows bus routes, train stations, bus
stops, wheelchair accessible services
and train frequencies.
The other side of the guide is for walking
and cycling - it shows Perth Bike
Network routes, shared paths (for cyclists
and walkers), bike lanes, walking trails,
bike shops and bike parking.
There are two travel agents on the
Bentley campus.
STA Travel
Student Guild
Building 104
Tel: +61 8 9266 7000
Email: [email protected]
Kristend Travel
Can be found in Building 201.
Tuition Fees / Enrolment Variations after T
Tuition Fees
Students are responsible for ensuring all
tuition fees are paid by the due date. Any
enquiries about tuition fees should be
addressed to the Fees Centre.
Tuition fees are calculated and charged
on a semester basis. For an estimate of
your course’s tuition fees, visit the fee
calculator on the Fees website at
Some courses require payment
of incidental fees for items such
as laboratory coats, field trip
accommodation costs, or material costs
for project work, etc. These additional
costs are detailed in the Curtin Courses
Handbook 2009 with further information
available from your School or Department
and on the fees website at
Payment should be made in accordance
with the options indicated on your Tax
Invoice. These options include BPay,
Post Billpay, Credit Card, Cheque, and
Money Order. Please be advised that
BPay and Post Billpay payments may
take up to four working days to reach
your account. Payment in person can be
made at any Australia Post office or at
the Curtin Cashiers at Student Central
building ($200 cash limit applies).
For further information, visit
Note: Inability to pay semester tuition
fees on time, due to money being held in
a fixed term deposit account will not be
accepted as a reason for late payment of
tuition fees.
Payment must still be made by the
due date. If a unit is added after the
generation of the first invoice, additional
monies owed must be paid at the time of
Students who are enrolled in a
Commonwealth Supported place are
required to pay their tuition fees in full by
the due date or if eligible submit a HECSHELP
form with a valid tax file number by
the due date. For eligibility requirements
please refer to
Please note one HECS-HELP form per
course is required to be completed.
The University offers undergraduate and
postgraduate courses on a fee-paying
basis for Australian Citizens/Permanent
Residents. Students will be invoiced
according to the units in which they are
enrolled on a semester basis.
Payment of fees will be required by:
• Semester One: 27th February, 2009
• Semester Two: 31st July, 2009
Eligible students may submit a FEEHELP
form with a valid tax file number by
the due date. For eligibility requirements
please visit
Dispatch of Invoice / International
Please note one FEE-HELP form per
course is required to be completed.
International students should inform
their parents and/or sponsors that living
expenses should not be sent with tuition
fee payments as the University does not
disburse student living expenses.
Students should also expect that their
indicative semester course fee, shown
on their Letter of Offer, may vary from the
actual tuition fee according to the units
(subjects) undertaken. The indicative
fee is only a guide as the actual tuition
fee is not calculated until enrolment is
Masters by Research and Doctoral
students may enrol at any time during
the academic year and must submit a
thesis for examination by the due date
set by the school/faculty. Research
degree tuition fees are calculated on
a pro-rata basis. Therefore initial and
final determination of the fee liability is
dependant on the daily rate calculated
between the date of enrolment and the
date of submission of the thesis.
Tuition fee payments must be made
by the due date for each study period.
Please refer to http://students.curtin.
cfm for relevant due dates. If payment
is not received by the due date a $150
late payment fee will apply. International
students who fail to pay their tuition
fees by the due date risk having their
enrolment cancelled.
Students with special circumstances who
are having difficulty making payment by
the due date and have incurred a late
payment fee or have had their enrolment
cancelled may lodge an appeal in writing
to the Manager, Fees Centre who will
assess their circumstances. Any appeals
must be accompanied by relevant
supporting documentation and can be
lodged either by mail or in person at
Student Central. Cancelled students
who have not lodged an appeal or
are unsuccessful in their appeal will
be reported to the Department of
Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).
This will affect visas and eligibility to
remain in Australia.
Students who are sponsored by a private
organisation or foreign government
must ensure that the sponsoring body
completes the Sponsored Student
Agreement form. Only one form is
required per sponsor and this agreement
is valid for three years. Sponsors
must also complete the Sponsored
Student Information form (one form per
student) and provide an original financial
guarantee to confirm sponsorship
arrangements. If the sponsoring body
does not return the Sponsored Student
Agreement and Sponsored Student
Information forms to the International
Office, the student will be liable for
payment of their own tuition fees. Please
see for
relevant forms and more information for
sponsored students.
UniEnglish / Vice-Chancellor’s List / Visa TUV
Alternatively you can visit the
International Sponsored Student Unit in
the International Office (Building 103).
Sponsored students will have an invoice
sent to their sponsor who will pay the
tuition fees on the students’ behalf.
Sponsors can expect to receive an
invoice prior to the due date. Tuition fee
payments for sponsored students are
required by the due date in accordance
with the invoice. The University does not
invoice sponsors for Overseas Student
Health Cover (OSHC) renewal. Students
must pay their own OSHC renewal and, if
required, send their OSHC receipt to the
sponsor for reimbursement.
If a student’s sponsorship expires and an
extension of the sponsorship is required
it is the student’s responsibility to ensure
they are granted an extension by their
sponsor. In such instances the sponsor
must complete new sponsorship forms
which reflect the new end date of
sponsorship. The form must then be
returned to the International Office as
soon as possible.
Sponsored students should inform their
sponsors that living expenses should
not be paid with tuition fees, as the
University does not disburse student
living expenses.
For matters relating to student fees,
including sponsor fees, please contact
the Fees Centre at Student Central. For
all other matters relating to sponsored
international students please contact the
International Office (see page 44).
UniEnglish is an online tool that will
help you to analyse your strengths
and weaknesses in using the English
language so that you can decide
whether you would benefit from English
support programs. It is primarily aimed at
students who come from backgrounds
where English is not the main language
of communication, but all students can
have access to the tool on request.
UniEnglish comprises three sections:
Use of English/Reading, Listening and
Writing. It is voluntary, free of charge,
and provides instant results online. It
is accessible from any computer with
internet access.
For more information visit the UniEnglish
website at:
or contact Associate Professor Katie
Dunworth by email at
[email protected]
or by phone on 9266 4227.
Vice-Chancellor’s List
Each semester, high academic achievers
are recognised by means of membership
of the Vice Chancellor’s List (VC List). To
gain membership, a student must be in the
top 1% of students within their teaching
School. Membership entitles students
to attend functions and receive special
considerations in the use of the library, as
well as many other privileges. For more
information visit or
contact the Graduations Office.
Visa Officer / Volunteering
Visa Officer
The International Student Visa Officer is
available to assist with any student visa
enquiries and provide general advice
regarding current immigration rules and
regulations. The Visa Officer can also
assist with renewing and extending
international student visas.
Location: Building 101, Level 2
Tel: 9266 3399
Email: [email protected]
Visa Renewal
Students whose visas are due to expire
but have not yet completed their current
course will need to apply for a new
student visa.
A Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
document is required for a student visa
application. eCoEs are issued by the
International Student Visa Officer at
Student Central. Appropriate visa advice
will be provided at the time of making
your appointment.
You should start your student visa
application process at least four weeks
before your current student visa expires.
It is your responsibility to have a valid
For more information concerning the
renewal of your student visa or to apply
online, visit
Give volunteering a go – there are many
benefits for you! You can gain new skills,
meet new people, work as part of a
team, feel good about helping others and
have the opportunity to be innovative.
In addition, you may gain valuable
experience and skills that will make you
more attractive to potential employers
when you graduate.
Curtin Volunteers
See Page 25.
Orientation Volunteers
See page 54.
Volunteer for Curtin Community
Consider volunteering your time to work
on Curtin’s community project it’s a great
way for students and staff to have fun
and make a real contribution to the wider
Volunteer opportunities include
fundraising for charity, working on
environmental projects, getting involved
in stress management activities and
participating in unique social events.
Organisations you will be helping include
the Australian Red Cross, Princess
Margaret Hospital for Children, Cancer
Foundation, Leukaemia Foundation,
Wheelchairs for Kids, SIDS and
Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Women’s Department
Curtin Community Liaison
Location: Curtin Hub, Building 599
Tel: 9266 2118 or 0401 103 154
Fax: 9266 3847
Email: [email protected]
John Curtin Weekend
See Curtin Volunteering page 79.
Women’s Department
The Guild’s Women’s Department
provides representation for the concerns
of female students both on and off
campus. The Department office, which
doubles as a women’s common room,
can be found in the Guild Precinct next
to the Curtin University Postgraduate
Students Association (CUPSA). The
women’s room is a safe space for female
students to relax, plan activities, hold
small meetings and get information on
women’s issues. The room is also a
space for women to study on campus
with their children, providing a computer,
television, nappy change table, books
and toys for use by mothers with children
up to the age of 10 years.
The Women’s Department organises
female only social events and holds
meetings once a month to discuss
women’s issues. The Department
is affiliated with the National Union
of Students and their Women’s
Departments on both state and national
levels. This allows them to work with
other Women’s Departments to develop
cross campus campaigns.
Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106
Tel: 9266 3386
Email: [email protected]
Abacus Labs (see computer Labs) 8
Academic Status 8
Academic Support 8
Academic Transcript 10
Accommodation 11
Alumni 11
Ask Curtin 12
Assessment Appeals 12
Bookshops 12
Building Numbers 13
Calendar & Handbook 13
Campuses 13
Career Voyage 14
Cashiers 15
Census Dates 15
Centrelink 15
Changing Personal Details 16
Childcare Centre 16
Clubs & Societies 17
Computer Access 17
Computer Help 17
Computers, Laptops, Servicing and
Advice 19
Conciliator 19
Conflict Resolution 20
Consuls 20
Copyright 20
Council for International Students of
Western Australia (CISWA) 21
Counselling Service 22
Course Changing 22
Course Completion 23
Courtesy Bus - Bentley 23
Curtin Careers Service 23
Curtin Connect 24
Curtin University Postgraduate Students
Association (CUPSA) 24
Curtin Volunteers 25
Department of Immigration &
Citizenship (DIAC) 26
Disability Services 26
Distance Education 26
Diversity 27
Doctor (see Health services) 43
Drugs 27
EduSafe 27
Email Access 28
Employment 28
Employment for International
Students 28
English Language Support 29
Enrolment 30
Enrolment Variation 31
Equal Opportunity 34
eStudent 34
Events 34
Examinations 35
Extension Studies 37
External Studies 37
Fax Facilities 38
Financial Assistance 38
First Year Experience Support 38
Fitness Centre
(see Sport & Recreation) 67
Flexible Learning Environment for Curtin
Students (FLECS) 38
Food Outlets 39
Graduation 42
Guild (see Student Guild) 70
Hair Salon 43
Health Services 43
Insurance 44
International Office 44
International Sponsored
Students Unit (ISSU) 45
International Student
Advisory Service 45
International Students
Committee (ISC) 46
John Curtin Gallery 46
Leave of Absence 46
Legal Assistance 47
Library 47
Lost Property 49
Market Day 49
Mature-Age/Part-Time Students 49
Mentor Programs 49
Money Management 50
Multi-faith Officer and
Prayer Facilities 50
[email protected] 52
National Liaison Committee (NLC) 53
Optometrist 54
Orientation 54
Orientation Volunteers 54
Overseas Student Health
Cover (OSHC) 55
Parking 56
Pharmacy 57
Physiotherapy 57
Plagiarism 58
Police 59
Post Graduate Students
(see CUPSA) 24
Prep Week 59
Services 59
Radio Stations 61
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) 62
Recreation Centre (see Sports and
Recreation) 67
Refund of Tuition Fees 62
Research & Development 63
Sanctions 63
Scholarships 63
Scholarships email Alert! 64
School-Age Dependants 64
Security & Safety 66
Sexuality and Gender and Diversity 67
Shopping Hours 67
Sport & Recreation 67
Student Assist 68
Student Central 69
Student Feedback 70
Student Guild 70
Student Identification (ID) and Library
Card 71
Student Number 71
Student One 71
Surveys see Student Feedback 70
Tax File Number 72
Telecommunications 72
Traffic & Road Safety 73
Transport 74
Tuition Fees 76
UniEnglish 78
Vice Chancellor’s List 78
Visa Officer 79
Visa Renewal 79
Volunteering 79
Women’s Department 80
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U1987, Perth, Western Australia 6845
Tel: + 61 8 9266 3399 Fax: + 61 8 9266 4108
Ask Us: Available on the welcome tab in OASIS
Curtin University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J
Information in this publication is correct at the time of printing and valid for 2009, but
may change from time to time.
In particular the University reserves the right to change the content and/or method of
assessment, to change or alter
tuition fees of any unit of study, to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers,
to impose limitations on
enrolment in any unit or program, and/or to vary arrangements for any program.
Curtin will not be liable to you or to any other person for any loss or damage (including
direct, consequential or
economic loss or damage) however caused and whether by negligence or otherwise
which may result directly or
indirectly from the use of this publication.
Copyright Curtin University of Technology 2008
This publication is copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purposes of private
study, research, criticism or review,
as permitted under the Copyright Act, no part may be reproduced by any process without
written permission.
Enquiries should be directed to Start , Building 102, Hayman Hall or by telephone +61 8
9266 1663.
Published by the Start , Student Transition And Retention Team
Curtin University of Technology.