NAPSP Family Support – Funding Resources (1) TAX CREDITS: • It

NAPSP Family Support – Funding Resources (1) TAX CREDITS: • It is important to speak with your accountant to see what you are eligible for when it comes to tax credits. • And if you are unable to pay for accountant fees, there are some inner city programs that will help you file your taxes for free -­‐ for example, Edmonton Boyle Street Community Services. a. CHILD DISABILITY TAX CREDIT • The disability tax credit (DTC) is a non-­‐refundable tax credit used to reduce income tax payable on the income tax and benefit return. The purpose of the DTC is to provide for greater tax equity by allowing some relief for disability costs, since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers don’t have to face. • A person with a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions may claim the disability amount once they are eligible for the DTC. These are the areas that they will look at. o Speaking o Walking o Bowel or bladder functions o Feeding o Dressing o Performing the mental functions necessary for everyday life • In addition to a disability your child will have to be receiving extensive therapy. They are eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC) if their therapy meets 3 conditions: 1. it is essential to sustain a vital function of the individual, 2. it is required to be administered at least 3 times each week for a total duration averaging not less than 14 hours a week, and 3. It cannot reasonably be expected to be of significant benefit to persons who are not so impaired. • The disability Tax Credit Medical portion of the application (Part B) can be filled out by a qualified practitioner o Medical doctors o Optometrists o Audiologists o Occupational Therapists o Physiotherapists o Psychologists o Speech Language Pathologists • Once you’re approved for the Disability Tax Credit you will continue to be eligible for yearly savings. And if you have had a disability for some time, your tax returns can be reassessed as far back as 10 years. • Getting approved for the Disability Tax Credit can open up a number benefits to those who qualify. Not only will you or your caregiver be able to claim the disability tax credits, but approval also means you may eligible for additional savings • Benefits Calculator -­‐ http://www.cra-­‐­‐eng.html b. CHILD DISABILITY BENEFIT • The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-­‐free benefit of up to $2,650 per year ($220.83 per month) for families who care for a child under age 18 with a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions. These amounts were for the period of July 2014 to June 2015 • The CDB is paid monthly to individuals who are eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) and also as a supplement to the Children's Special Allowances (CSA). • Families who are eligible for the CCTB for a child will receive the CDB only if the child is also eligible for the disability amount, also known as the Disability Tax Credit. • The CDB amount is calculated using a base amount, which is associated with the number of children for whom you receive the CCTB. You will receive the full CDB amount if your adjusted family net income is less than the base amount for your family size, as indicated in the chart below. Number of children for whom you receive the CCTB
Base amount
9 or more
Contact the CRA
• For more information -­‐ http://www.cra-­‐­‐eng.html#q1 c. OTHER PROGRAMS • Once approved for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) you may also be eligible for additional programs, such as the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), Disability Bonds, and Disability Grants, which will increase your future savings significantly. i. Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). § The RDSP is a long-­‐term savings plan, separated into two components, grants and bonds. It was introduced by the Federal Government in 2008. Both are briefly are explained below: § The Canada Disability Savings Bond: • Setup to assist those who have a low to modest income (If beneficiary’s family income is below $41,544) • You do not need to make a contribution to the RDSP to receive the bond. • If you qualify for the bond, you receive up to $1,000 a year, with a limit of $20,000 over a lifetime. § The Canada Disability Savings Grant: • Setup to match contributions made to the RDSP, up to 300%. (If beneficiary’s family income is below $81,941) • The maximum grant is $3,500 a year, with a limit of $70,000 over a lifetime. • Every year, the first $500 you contribute to the Grant, the government will contribute an additional $1,500 to your RDSP. • Additionally, if you contribute another $1,000, the government will contribute an additional $2,000 to your RDSP. • This results in a government grant of $3,500, if you or a family member contributes $1,500 to your RDSP. This contribution and grant can be applied every year (2) FAMILY SUPPORTS FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES • Parents of children with disabilities sometimes need support so they can raise their children at home and fully participate in community life. The Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) Program provides a wide range of family-­‐centered supports and services. Services are meant to help strengthen families’ ability to promote their child’s healthy development and encourage their child’s participation in activities at home and in the community. 1) The FSCD program works in partnership with eligible families to provide supports and services based on each child and family’s individual assessed needs. 2) The services and supports may vary from family 3) Prior to accessing FSCD supports, families are encouraged to access the supports, services and resources already available to them. All other available resources must be utilized before the FSCD program will provide funding. Information and Referral Support Information and referral supports are available to all families, regardless of eligibility for the FSCD program, including: • Information about federal and provincial government programs and services, community supports and local resources • Assistance obtaining and coordinating supports and services • Referral to community support and advocacy resources, such as parent support groups, disability associations or advocacy organizations • Information and support to empower parents to advocate for their child Family Support Services Family support services may be provided based on the family’s needs and circumstances, including: • Individual and family counseling • Assistance with the cost of clothing and footwear needs related to the child’s disability • Assistance with the cost of attending medical appointments, such as parking, mileage, meals, accommodation and sibling care • Respite services Child-­‐Focused Services Child-­‐focused services are provided when a child’s disability significantly limits his or her ability to function in normal daily living activities, and are based on the child’s and family’s individually assessed needs. Child-­‐focused services include: A range of respite services Assistance with extraordinary child care needs related to the child's disability A range of aide supports Assistance with some of the extraordinary costs for prescription drugs, prescribed formulas and diets, ambulance or medical supplies • Specialized services for children with severe disabilities, involving support and consultation from occupational or physical therapists, speech language pathologists, psychologists and aides • Temporary out-­‐of-­‐home living arrangements, if necessary, to support a child when all other alternatives for in-­‐home supports have been explored. • • • • • The program is voluntary; parents remain the guardians for their child and are responsible for all decision-­‐making and the usual expenses of raising a child until their child turns 18 years old. • FSCD assists approximately 10,000 children and their families each year. • • APPLICATION PROCESS 1) There is a one page application that will need to be filled out § The child with a disability must be under age 18 § The person applying for the program must be the child’s parent or have guardianship of the child § The child must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident § The child and the parent or guardian must reside in Alberta § Medical documentation must be provided confirming that the child has a disability or is awaiting a diagnosis. 2) You will need a medical letter from your physician explaining the child’s medical needs § The child’s diagnosis and/or disability, or § That the child’s condition or impairment may lead to a disability and that the child is awaiting a medical diagnosis. The letter or report may be written by, or on behalf of, the following health professionals who are able to make the diagnosis or probable diagnosis within their scope of practice: § § § § Physician or psychiatrist Physical or occupational therapist, speech and language pathologist or audiologist Clinical social worker or psychologist. Nurse Practitioner (sometimes FSCD will argue that a Nurse Practitioners signature is not acceptable; however, this is not the case) The letter or report should include: Your child’s name and date of birth Your child’s diagnosis, with some description of the condition, how the disability affects daily functioning and, where applicable, an explanation of whether the condition is expected to have long term or lifelong implications § The date when your child was diagnosed with the condition § The name of the physician or other health professional who diagnosed your child with the condition. § § 3) Once application is faxed in, FSCD will contact families to determine a child’s eligibility for the program § After an FSCD worker reviews your application and documents, you will be contacted to discuss if your child is eligible for the FSCD program, or if we need more information to determine eligibility. § If your child is not eligible for the FSCD program, an FSCD worker will contact you to explain why your child is not eligible, and will provide information about other programs, services and community resources that may be helpful to your family. § If your child is eligible for the FSCD program, an FSCD worker will contact you to discuss next steps, provide information about other programs, services and community resources that may be helpful to your family, and answer any questions you may have about the FSCD program. 4) An FSCD worker will meet with you to complete an Assessment of Needs. If your child is eligible for the FSCD program, an FSCD worker will meet with you to discuss: § the exceptional care needs of your child § the impact that your child’s disability has on your family § Natural supports or community programs that may be helpful to your family. § The worker may also ask your permission to speak with other professionals who work with your child in order to better understand his or her specific care needs. 5) You and your FSCD worker will create your Individualized Family Support Plan. The FSCD program takes a family-­‐centered approach to working with families. It is critical that you and your FSCD worker have a shared understanding of the strengths, needs and priorities for your family and child. Your FSCD worker will work with you to identify your priorities, and the short and long-­‐term goals for your family and child. Setting goals is an important part of service planning, and helps you and your FSCD worker focus on what is important for your family. Your FSCD worker will work with you to develop an Individual Family Service Plan reflecting your priorities, identifying goals you want to work toward, and outlining what resources, supports and services are needed to help you achieve those goals. 6) The FSCD services you and your FSCD worker agree upon will be included in an FSCD agreement. This is a legal agreement between you and the FSCD program that outlines the services that will be provided. An FSCD agreement can last for a period of up to one year. 7) Your FSCD worker will be available to review and discuss your family’s ongoing support needs § You and your FSCD worker will contact each other at least once per year to: • Assess and confirm your child’s ongoing eligibility for the FSCD program • Discuss your family’s and child’s needs and circumstances • Complete a new service plan. • Discuss FSCD supports and services based on your current priorities, goals and needs. • All of this information can be found online -­‐­‐
services/14855.html (3) EI PARENTS OF CRITICALLY ILL CHILDREN • Please contact Service Canada for more information • The Government recognizes the emotional and financial challenges faced by parents when a child has a life-­‐threatening illness or injury and the vital role parents play in a child’s recovery. Once implemented, this new EI special benefit will provide income support for up to 35 weeks to parents or legal guardians of minor children (under 18 years of age) with a life-­‐threatening illness or injury. • As with other EI special benefits, applicants (parents or legal guardians) will need to have worked a minimum of 600 hours in the last year and take leave from their employment. Self-­‐
employed workers who have opted into the EI program will need to have earned income in the previous calendar year to be eligible for the benefit. All applicants will also need to submit a medical certificate signed by a Canadian-­‐certified pediatrician or medical specialist. • Benefits may be combined with other benefits, such as the compassionate care benefit and parental benefit, or shared between parents and may also be used at any time within a 52-­‐week period. Benefits will end once the maximum of 35 weeks of benefits have been paid, the 52-­‐
week benefit period ends, once the child’s condition improves or in the unfortunate event that the child passes away. • For the purposes of this new special benefit, a critically ill child is defined as one who has a life-­‐
threatening illness or injury for which continued parental care or support is required. • How to apply o Must submit an online EI application o Have the medical fill out the medical certificate as soon as child is admitted or deemed to have a life threatening illness that requires parental care or support • Website -­‐ (4) DEVELOPMENTAL RESOURCES • Early Childhood Services -­‐ o Children with mild to moderate communication disabilities/delays are children who may be at-­‐risk for future learning challenges. School authorities can access ECS mild/moderate funding to support children in Kindergarten and the year prior to Kindergarten in school-­‐based or community-­‐based language-­‐rich and responsive learning environments in order to improve their learning outcomes. • PUF Funding o Program Unit Funding (PUF) is provided to school authorities to Early Childhood services (ECS) children with severe disabilities/delays who require additional support beyond that offered in a regular ECS program. o Funding is provided for individualized programming that meets the educational needs of children with severe disabilities/delays who are at least 2 years 6 months of age on September 1. o PUF funding may be paid for a maximum of 3 years for each eligible child. o Most schools are able to help with the application • Early intervention Programs o Alberta Health Services -­‐ Early Intervention Program § Provides support, education and information to families of children with two or more developmental concerns or a diagnosed disability, in many settings and locations; family's home, playgroups, and in the community. § Parents should call if they have concerns and questions about their child's: • Attention • Movement • Feeding • Speech • Hearing • behavior or how their child interacts with other people § Services to families and their child include: • developmental screening • child and parent groups • home and community visits • ideas and strategies to promote child development • referral and linkage to health services and community resources • resource lending library • other supports as needed § Available to Children aged birth to 3 1/2 years of age within the City of Edmonton, and birth to 5 years of age in the Westview area. § Accessing the service -­‐ more information: • Families can refer themselves. An early intervention program staff member will talk to the parent on the phone and then provide a home visit to determine eligibility. § Referral needed • A referral is needed to access this service. Call for more information. • Parents, caregivers, health professionals, government and other community agencies, and other sources may refer children to the program. § Service locations • Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations. • Alberta School for the Deaf Connect Society, south entrance 6240 113 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T6H 3L2; 780-­‐454-­‐9581 • Children and Youth Centre Room 101 3 Spruce Avenue, Sherwood Park, Alberta T8A 2B6; 780-­‐640-­‐9401 (Sherwood Park, Leduc, Strathcona County) • Dickinsfield Mall Room 25 9228 144 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5E 6A3; 780-­‐342-­‐1707 • Spruce Grove Health Unit Suite 110 505 Queen Street, Spruce Grove, Alberta T7X 2V2; 780-­‐342-­‐1300 (Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Evansburg, Devon) • St. Albert 365 Carleton Drive Transitions St. Albert 365 Carleton Drive, St. Albert, Alberta T8N 7L1; 780-­‐458-­‐7371 o Head Start Programs § E4C – Early Head Start is an early childhood parent support program for low income families with children between birth and 3 ½ years old. •­‐services/education-­‐and-­‐skill-­‐
development/early-­‐head-­‐start/ § ABC Head Start -­‐ ABC Head Start provides an early learning program for children with comprehensive family support in multiple locations across the city of Edmonton. To qualify for the program your child must be at least 3 years, 6 months old by September 1st and your family must fall within our low income guidelines. There is no charge for the program. This spring we will be holding Registration Events across the City of Edmonton where we will be meeting children and families, processing applications and determining eligibility for the program. We are holding Registration Events during the spring for programming to start in September. Please see the For Parents and Agencies page of the website for details. • o Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre -­‐ § The Norwood Child & Family Resource Centre is located in the heart of Norwood, the neighborhood community it serves. Offering a wide range of programs for both children and their families, the Centre has a long history of working independently and in unison with like-­‐minded organizations to ensure the strength and vitality of this unique City of Edmonton community. § They offer a variety of supports and programs for parents who need a little bit of help managing: • Early Intervention • Head Start Programs • Child and Youth Programs • Family Support programs and family support workers • Parent groups and workshops § School Supports • IF your school is not being supportive there are special needs consultants that can be referred to in order to help advocate on your behalf to have your child’s medical needs met within the school system (5) FOUNDATIONS to apply for support a. Dawn Land Foundation • The Dawn Land Foundation is a registered non-­‐profit charity dedicated to improving the quality of life of children in and around Alberta and the world. Funding is not provided by the government, but is obtained from memberships, fundraising and charitable donations from the general public. Our focus is on providing aid to chronically and terminally ill children so that they can spend less time in hospital, but instead be at home, in comfort and with support of their family and friends. We aim to improve quality of life of children and their families. • They primarily focus on medical equipment funding b. Jack Davis Hope Foundation • Stollery Family who decided to help families who have children with medical illness that may be struggling and need help to help overcome a barrier • Help with a variety of needs c. Starlight Foundation • Starlight Children’s Foundation partners with experts to improve the life and health of kids and families around the world. • Promote events that help improve the quality of children’s life d. CTV Good Neighbour Foundation e. Recreation Funding programs f. Foundations based on diagnosis i. For example -­‐ the heart and Stroke foundation / Neurosurgery Kids Foundation (6) QUESTIONS FROM FAMILY a. Sometimes bussing for special needs is needed, however that comes with a price of $500.oo a yr. Is there anywhere to get subsidiaries for this cost? As it is not covered thru fscd or health care b. I don’t believe my son has a severe enough disability to qualify for the FSCD or Child Disability Tax credit. We have been working through some learning challenges involving language, word retrieval, and comprehension which have required the services of a Speech Language Pathologist along with extra tutoring and support through Sylvan Learning. These have proven to be very helpful but expensive. i. What type of documentation is required by CRA to take these expenses and use them as a medical deduction on our tax return? We have a letter from our neurologist explaining that with my son’s stroke diagnosis he recommends additional supports, but is this letter sufficient documentation. ii. Are there any grants or supports offered to cover SLP services outside of the school system? (7) OFFSETTING COSTS