H P ’

H IGH P OINT ’ S
H IDDEN
T REASURES
P AGE 2
H IGH P OINT ’ S H IDDEN T REASURES
Welcome to High Point!
High Point has a rich cultural background,
that some have yet to learn and discover
High Point was established in 1859
Here is just a brief look back into
the past & present of High Point, NC
These places have been divided into
regions that can be seen by
either walking or driving…
Hope you enjoy looking back into
High Point’s History!!!
R EGION A
Professional Building
Located at 300 South Main St
Art Deco in the 1930’s
Home to the Convention &
Visitors Bureau & Doll &
Old US Post Office
Located at 100 East Green Dr
Designed in 1932 by High Point
architects Workman, Everhart, &
Voorhees
Features classical exterior with art
deco
Old Guilford County Courthouse
Building
Located at 258 South Main St
101st courthouse in North Carolina
Built in 1937 by High Point architects
Everhart and Voorhees
International Home Furnishings Center
(Southern Furniture Exposition)
Located at 209 South Main St
Massive 10 story structure built in
1919-1921 contains approximately
2 million sq ft of exhibition space
P AGE 3
P AGE 4
EGION
A $.
$
FROR
A
F EE
R EGION
AC
ONT
High Point Hero
Myrtle Furr Hayworth Barthmaier
Plaque located at South Main St between
Green Dr & Commerce Ave outside of the
entrance of the IHFC
A mother of six, who, upon the
premature death of her husband in 1928,
kept Hayworth Industries and Alma Desk
alive during the Depression
Furniture Plaza Building
Located at 210 South Main St
The “Walk of Fame” is located at the
entrance to the building owned by
Merchandise Mart Properties
Engraved bronze plaques with the names
of honored Furniture Hall Of Fame
Members are embedded permanently in
Southern Exposition Building Plaque
Located at 209 South Main St
Brief history about the Southern
Exposition Company
Heart of Furniture Land U.S.A.
Located at 209 South Main St
Heart sits in the front of the
International Home Furnishings Center
entrance
R EGION
A .
GION
A C ONT
High Point Hero
Lucius
Benjamin “Luke” Appling
Plaque located at the NW Corner of South
Elm St & West Commerce Ave
Chicago White Sox short stop from 19301950. Luke was entered into the Hall of
Fame in 1964
Radio Building
164 South Main St
8– story Romanesque architecture & stone
based
The building was completed in 1924
Earlier occupants were for lawyers,
doctors, & other professionals
People knew this as Security National &
then as NC National Bank or (NCCB)
High Point Hero
Albert “P.A.” Thomas
Perley
Plaque located at the NW Corner of South
Main St & West Commerce Ave
Founded Thomas Car Works in 1917
Company now known as Thomas Built
Buses & is the world’s largest
manufacturer of school busses
Center Theatre
Located at 150 South Main St
Built as Friendly Hotel, Center Theatre was
on the 1st Floor
Elvis performed on February 9, 1956
Later converted into a movie theatre and
P AGE 5
P AGE 6
EGION
A $.
$
FROR
A
F EE
R EGION
AC
ONT
Center Theatre Plaque
Located at 150 South Main St
Includes a brief history about the
Center Theatre
Sewell Farlow Store Monument
Located at 135 South Main St
Town Meetings were held at this store
Site of the Best Western Hotel High Point
today
High Point Hero
Point Heroes Plaque
High
Plaque located at the NE Corner of South
Elm St & East Commerce Ave
Explanation of Heroes
Regan & Millis Building Marker
Located at 135 South Main St
The site of the first formal Southern
R EGION
A .
GION
A C ONT
Woolworth Student Sit-in
Marker & Plaque
Located on Wrenn Street behind the
Hotel High Point, the marker represents
the February 11, 1960 sit-in where black
high school students protested
segregation at Woolworth's "whites-
High Point Hero
Emory “J.E.” Gibson
James
Plaque located at the NW Corner of
North Main St & English Rd
Created a paddle toy called the
“Fli-Back”. Sold to RH Macy’s & SH Kress
to sell in their stores
Millions sold
worldwide
P AGE 7
P AGE 8
R EGION B
Plank Road Marker
Located on the corner of Main St & High
Ave
Central location & transportation for
the delivery of cotton & lumber
Train Depot
Located on the Corner of Main St
& High Ave
Built in 1907
Richardson Romanesque architecture
November 22, 1855 the first train came
into the High Point station
Plank Road Foreman
Located at the Train Depot on the corner
of Main St & High Ave
Dedicated to the establishment of High
Point & in honor of the men & women
who worked in local industries
Grade Crossing Elimination Memorial
Plaque
Located at the Train Depot on the corner
of Main St & High Ave
Dedicated to three men who lost their
lives while working to lower rail tracks in
1937
R EGION B
Memorial Park
Located at the corner of High Ave &
Main St
Park contains memorial to World War I
& II, as well as a Veterans Memorial
wall dedicated to soldiers
World War II Monument
Located at the corner of High Ave & Main
St
Donated to the City after it was given by
Sanders “Slim” Dallas Sr. of Dallas
Doughboy
Located on High Ave
Carved in Italy, erected in 1923
14 ft high, 10 ton statue
Nickname for WWI Soldiers who served
from 1917-1918 from High Point
Revolutionary War Patriots Marker
Located on High Ave
The Alexander Martin Chapter National
Society of the Daughters of the
American Revolution dedicated this
marker to honor the brave patriots who
fought in the Revolutionary War
P AGE 9
P AGE 10
R EGION
B .
R EGION
B C ONT
High Point Hero
Maxwell Reid “Max” Thurman
Plaque located at crosswalk at South
Main St & High Ave
Army General Thurman developed the
recruiting campaign “Be All That You Can
Be” in 1979
Knox Bridge Plaque
Located on the East side of Main St
across from the Train Depot
Dedicated to City Manager Edward M.
Knox for the Contributions he made
Bridge was where Railroad & Plank
Elwood Hotel Plaque
Located on the 100 block of South
Main St
Constructed in 1902
Grandest hotel in High Point
Torn down in 1966, now is
Showplace West
Showplace
Located at 211 East Commerce Ave
Contemporary Structure with over
450,000 Sq.
Includes a 100’ ft central atrium
skylight
R EGION B
High Point Hero
Howard Slane
Willis
Plaque located near SW corner of
Showplace at driveway on Wrenn St
Founded Hatteras Yacht
Was also the President of Slane Hosiery
P AGE 11
P AGE 12
R EGION C
Chest of Drawers
Located at 508 North Hamilton St
In 1926, was known as the Bureau of
Information
Restored 18th century dresser stands 36 ft
high
Confederate Arms Factory Historical
Marker
Located at Main Street between High Ave &
Kivett Dr
Camp Fisher Historical Marker
Located in downtown High Point on Main
St at English Rd
High Point Hero
Webb Williamson
Harry
Plaque located at NW corner of North
Main St & Kivett Dr
North Carolina’s first Olympian
Won 6th place in 800-meter race at the
1936 Olympic Games held in Berlin,
Germany
R EGION C
Sheraton Tower
Located at 400 North Main St
Once a ritzy full service facility with
130 rooms, opening on
August 1, 1921
Building is now home for
the elderly
First Baptist Church Marker
Located at 405 North Main St
Oldest organized church in
High Point
Changed named to First Baptist Church
in 1904
Northside Hose CO. #1
Located at the Southeast corner of
Wrenn & Kivett Dr
Constructed around 1905
For a short period, it served as City Hall
& the Jail
Home to G& J Styles Inc. today
P AGE 13
R EGION D
P AGE 14
High Point Regional Health Systems
Located at 601 North Elm St
First began as Junior Order Hospital
in 1904
Art Deco Style
High Point Public Library
Located at 901 North Main St
Unique Architecture
Check out the genealogy department
& North Carolina room
High Point Public Library Statue
Located at 901 North Main St
Donated by the Friends of the
Library Group
First Presbyterian Church
Located at 918 North Main St
Founded September 3, 1859
Built in 1858 which was used as a
hospital during the Civil War
Gothic Style
R EGION D .
P AGE 15
General Maxwell Reid Thurman Marker
Located at the intersection of Parkway
& Hamilton St
Created the famous saying:
“Be All You Can Be”
Johnson Street Historical District
Known locally as
“High Point’s First Suburb”
Home styles range from Colonial
Revival, Victorian, Bungalow, &
Rectilinear
Sherrod House
Located at 1100 North Main St
Built in 1900
Home to Archibald Sherrod, owner
of High Point Chair Company
Furniture Library
Located at 1009 North Main St, only
stone house in the area
Demonstrates Colonial Revival Style
Houses the world’s largest collection
of books on the history of furniture
P AGE 16
H IGH P OINT ’ S H IDDEN T REASURES
A High Point Hero
High Point, North Carolina, is proud of its
numerous citizens who have achieved
national, and sometimes international
prominence in various walks of life. Our
bygone Heroes include industrialists,
engineers, sportsmen, artists, inventors,
educators and members of the military. In
2010 the High Point Downtown
Improvement Committee installed the first
phase of a walking tour of these
phenomenal individuals.
Aaron N Clinard, Chairman
High Point Downtown Improvement Committee
H IGH P OINT ’ S H IDDEN T REASURES
P AGE 17
P AGE 18
R EGION D .
Briles House
Located at 1103 North Main St
1907 Mansion built in Classical
Revival style with original pieces
Home to the Junior League
J.C. Siceloff House
Located at 1104 North Main St
Siceloff was a prominent High Point
business man & civic leader
Gilded Lilly is home to this site now
J.H. Adams Inn
Located at 1108 North Main St
Built in 1918 by J.H. Adams
cofounder of Adams Millis Hosiery in a
Italian Renaissance Style
Was once home to Davis Funeral
Home & the YWCA
H.A. Millis House
Located at 1109 North Main St
Built around 1920
One of the founders of
Adams- Millis Hosiery
Specialty Shops are now at the site
today
R EGION D
P AGE 19
Chamber of Commerce
Located at 1634 North Main
St & the corner of State St
The Commercial Club carried
on the Chamber of
Commerce work until 1918
Immediately following World
War in 1918, a movement
was started to organize the
Chamber
Fire Station # 4
Located at 1329 North Main St
Once was at the Northern City limits
Early Dutch Colonial Style
Used as a Hair Salon today
P AGE 20
R EGION E
High Point University Marker
Located at the corner of College Ave
& Montlieu Ave
Methodist endowed & opened in
September of 1924
Jack Lucas Medal of Honor
Located in the Hayworth Fine Arts
Center at High Point University
Jack Lucas was awarded this medal
for his heroic actions during the Iwo
Jima campaign.
Oakwood Cemetery
Located at 313 Montlieu Ave
Oldest plots dating back to 1853
Confederate Monument located within
Oakwood Cemetery marking many of
High Point’s prominent citizens and
numerous graves of Confederate
soldiers
Laura Wesson, a civil war heroine is
buried here. A marker at the head of
grave was placed in 1936 by the United
Daughters of the Confederate (Picture
Hoggatt House Marker
Located at 1859 East Lexington Ave at
the High Point Museum
R EGION E
P AGE 21
Hoggatt House
Located at
1859 East Lexington Ave
Erected in 1801
Log structure moved from where
Green Street Baptist Church sits
today
Haley House Marker
Located at Lexington Ave
at McGuinn St
Oldest house on its original site in
Guilford County
Haley House
Located at 859 East Lexington Ave
Built in 1786 by John Haley
An important stagecoach stop
Little Red School House
Located at
201 East Lexington Ave
Built in the 1930’s by local
architect Louis Voorhees
Served as a one room public
school for first graders
R EGION F
P AGE 22
Kilby Hotel
Located on 627 East Washington Dr
Owned by John & Nannie Kilby
Club Kilby was built next door in
1927
Kilby Hotel Plaque
Located at 627 East Washington Dr
Stone plaque dedicated to
owners
of the Kilby Hotel
First Baptist Church
Located on at 701 East Washington Dr
Built around 1907
Was one of two churches occupied by
African American at that time
First Baptist Church Plaque
Located at 701 East Washington Dr
Restoration began in 1980
R EGION F
P AGE 23
High Point Normal & Industrial Institute
(William Penn)
Located at 825 East Washington Dr
Provided educational opportunities for
black residents of High Point
Opened in 1891 after moving from
Asheboro
193 Students attended with classes
being held in 2 rooms on Washington Dr
Greenhill Cemetery
Located on Leonard St
Established in 1910 by the City of High
Point for burial of African Americans
John & Nannie Kilby & Rosetta Baldwin
and other notable African Americans
are buried here
Fallen Officers Monument
Located at 1009 Leonard Ave
Statue honors those who have
made the ultimate sacrifice for our
Rosetta C Baldwin
African
American Museum
Located at 1408 RC Baldwin Ave
Founded in 2000
In 1942, she began a school in her
living room
P AGE 24
R EGION G
W.A. Davis Milling Company
Located at the 100 block of
South Centennial St
Centennial Station
Located at 121 South Centennial St
Built in the 1920’s
Formerly Haley Transport & Storage
Company
Partially burned in the riots that
followed the assassination of
Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968
Timber doors, ceiling beams and freight
doors were all saved and are used
today in the Architecture
High Point’s City Hall
Located at 211 South Hamilton St
Completed in 1974
Similar architecture to the NC
Legislative Building
John Coltrane Statue
Located at the intersection of
Commerce Ave & Hamilton St
An 8 ft bronze statue honoring one of
High Point's most acclaimed citizens, a
legendary Jazz saxophonist
R EGION G
P AGE 25
High Point Hero
Joseph Fisher
Louis
Plaque located on the South side of
Commerce Ave, between Wrenn St &
Hamilton St
President of Carolinas Amateur Athletic
Union, National AAU president & a
Member of U.S. Olympic Committee.
Louis was a major force in sports
governance
John Coltrane Marker
Located at the Corner of Hamilton St &
Commerce Ave
Located near his boyhood home on
Underhill Street
John Coltrane (1926-1967)
Forbidden City
Located at the corner of Hamilton St &
Commerce Ave
Furniture showroom today
Constructed to resemble a Chinese
Temple
P AGE 26
R EGION H
Brown House
Moved from High Ave to Oak St
Built in 1898 & restored in 1985, a
classic example of Queen Anne
Architecture
Lynch’s Select School for Boys
Located at 106 Oak St
Built in 1879 as a private
non-military school for boys
Used as Office Buildings today
W.T. Kirkman House
Located at 415 West High Ave
Portrays an example of Colonial
Revival Style
Fraser-Wilson House
Located at 407 West High Ave
Built around 1905
Colonial Revival Style
Tomlinson Chair Furniture Company
(Market Square)
Located at 305 West High Ave
Company started in 1900’s by Sidney
H. Tomlinson
String & Splinter & Suites at Market
Square occupy this site
R EGION H
P AGE 27
Natuzzi
Located at the intersection of
Lindsay St & Commerce Ave
Built to resemble the shape of a ship
Biltmore Hotel Plaque
Located at the intersection of
Lindsay St & High Ave
Plaque placed by the Alexander
Martin Chapter of Daughters of the
Revolution
Home to the Natuzzi Building
Union Square
Located at 410 English Rd
Began in 1904 as High Point
Hosiery Mill
in 1927 Adams- Millis Hosiery Mill
GTCC Original Site Marker
Located at 716 English Rd
Site of the first classes started in
1955 by High Point furniture and
hosiery manufacturers and the
High Point Public Schools
P AGE 28
R EGION I
Model Farm Inn
Located at 2038 Brentwood St
2 Story Farm House built in 1868 in
Post– Bellum style
Created “Model Farm” designed to
demonstrate efficient agricultural
methods
Model Farm Marker
Located at South Main St at Model
Farm Rd
Springfield Friends Meeting Marker
Located at South Main St
at Fairfield Rd
Springfield House
Located at 555 East Springfield Rd
Building was completed in 1857 in
Greek Revival style
Now home to the Museum of Old
Domestic Life
H IGH P OINT ’ S H IDDEN T REASURES
P AGE 27
The information provided in this booklet has been
compiled using data provided by the various sources.
While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy,
HPCVB cannot assume responsibility for omissions or
errors. Please forward any corrections to
[email protected]
References Include:
High Point Museum
High Point Chamber of Commerce
High Point Public Library
High Point Enterprise
Greensboro News & Record
Various Websites & Reference Books
High Point CVB
For additional references, please contact the
High Point Convention &Visitors Bureau at
Phone: 336.884.5255 or 800.720.5255
Email: [email protected]
H IGH P OINT ’ S H IDDEN T REASURES
300 S Main St
High Point, NC 27260
PO Box 2273
Phone: 336-884-5255
1-800-720-5255
Fax: 336-884-5256